Need help picking a light

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders seems like a real contender for me. What’s the difference vs the new meridian?
They are in preorder so no one knows.
You can watch the video at thier websight for more info.
Im sure they will be just as good as or better than the current ones.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love cubes and this one is legit. Aesthetically speaking. Hanging an ATI Stratton or Phillips Coral Care II over it would be pleasing to see but both seem difficult to source. Neptune copied Phillip so that's an option. I'd just go with a pair of XR30s or consider the new AI Blades which remind me of old school VHO but would need placing closer to the water unless enough added to provide desired PAR. Can see them organized in such a way as to mimic a T5 panel or VHO. Perhaps using extruded aluminum bars on the back t hang them and they have two flavors diving one options yet wished they just had one with mix of LEDs such as an XR30.

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love cubes and this one is legit. Aesthetically speaking. Hanging an ATI Stratton or Phillips Coral Care II over it would be pleasing to see but both seem difficult to source. Neptune copied Phillip so that's an option. I'd just go with a pair of XR30s or consider the new AI Blades which remind me of old school VHO but would need placing closer to the water unless enough added to provide desired PAR. Can see them organized in such a way as to mimic a T5 panel or VHO. Perhaps using extruded aluminum bars on the back t hang them and they have two flavors diving one options yet wished they just had one with mix of LEDs such as an XR30.
2 xr30s!? Jesus wouldn’t they be way overkill. Lol
I was thinking just one would be more than enough for my scape.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 xr30s!? Jesus wouldn’t they be way overkill. Lol
I was thinking just one would be more than enough for my scape.
Figured you'd want the more even coverage since you mentioned using T5s. Can run them at half power and have them last twice as long. Could also go with pair of XR15.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 48g fijicube 30x24x16 looking for light recommendations. Aquascape is about 22-24Lx12W.

Planning on it being a mixed reef sps towards the top half of the tank hammer/torch middle to bottom zoas on the sand

been out of the game for about 10yrs lighting has changed over to leds (was a t5 guy previously) so many options ecotech, AI, kessil, reefbreeders, and list goes on.

I’m not opposed to having 2 units but I wouldn’t mind having a single unit also. Only thing is need a mounting solution that has 2 legs/mounts this tank as a center overflow that will not allow for a single mount located in the middle.

Im open on budget but id liked like it to be worth it and not just paying for brand name. Also how do you guys feel on buying used on there led units? Thanks for help in advance.

IMG_1121.jpeg

I vote Hydra 32. You can grow just about anything under that light, and its reasonably priced.

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you'd want the more even coverage since you mentioned using T5s. Can run them at half power and have them last twice as long. Could also go with pair of XR15.
nah if I did 2 units it'd be xr15s this isn’t going to be a full sps tank we’ll see.

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Hydra 32. You can grow just about anything under that light, and it’s reasonably priced.
Hydra is toward the top when I started looking you think 1 units or 2? From what Iv read they don’t have the best spread.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil when I left the hobby was the one I liked the most because of the shimmer doesn’t seem like anyone has been able to reproduce that effect. How’s the spectrum on those? Do you have any experience with other lights/brands to compare too?
spectrum is pretty much anything you desire, and kessil uses "kessil logic" which from my elementary understanding ensures that no matter what color blend you choose to please your eye, the software will ensure enough of the appropriate wavelengths are present for coral growth. That being said, I am also adding an orphec LED bar along the front of my tank to reduce shadowing, so in my opinion kessils are not the best standalone option, as spotlights simply cannot match the even coverage provided by bars or arrays (like reefbreeders photon fixtures).

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one I that just caught my eye. How do you like the reefi? How many did you use for that size tank?
just got the tank wet and cycling on Saturday havent put the light on it yet. I only got 1 for it. I put the 120 lens on it. Its going to be mounted on top of my canopy at about 12" off the water surface. Looking at spread on their web site and talking to Daniel it should be good side to side but may be lacking a little for total coverage front to back, which isn't really a bad thing.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the person I need to talk to then. Sounds like you have the whole gambit. How long have you been running them? What’s the pro and cons of the reefbreeders vs say radion/hydra.
The main difference for me is the light design. I'll attach images to show what I mean by panel vs Puck. My radions are xr15s gen 4. I always ran all of my ecotech devices using ecosmart live with a reeflink. This was how to control them online pre mobius. (sorry of your aware of that already) I made up my mind I would never buy radions because the newer ones only work on mobius and I hated Mobius when I tried it before. I still do not like it but am adapting but only because I wanted to add 2 more MP40s recently and they only run on mobius. I went ahead and upgraded my xr15 to Mobius also. I wouldn't spend the money for radions these days but that's a personal decision.
I'm about a year in with my photons over my SPS tank. It's mostly acro frags that are encrusting nicely. I have kept fleshy lps under them also and they did well. Photo are just snap shots from a moment ago

These are the two photon 32s
20240110_141430.jpg

And the xr15s. Notice how much light spill compared to the photons? The tank with the photons is in our dining room so that was a concern when deciding on lights. Also mounts have to be made or purchased for radions.
20240110_141337.jpg

IMO you really can't go wrong with most lights on the market these days.
Just for info this is my 180g under 6 Noopsyche K7 pros. Tons of light spill but they are in a canopy so it's not an issue. I really like them and for around $1k for all 6 it was a bargain I think. I've been running them maybe 2 years or so. The tank has been running 8 years and has never looked better.
20240110_141511.jpg

Almost forgot about the photon 24. This is it on the reefer 170 with a 4 bulb t5 hybrid on top. I didn't really need the T5s but had the fixture and the nem seems to appreciate them.

20240110_144401.jpg

Sorry for being so long winded. Hopefully the comparison is useful to you and maybe others. Good luck with your decision.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra is toward the top when I started looking you think 1 units or 2? From what Iv read they don’t have the best spread.

My 6 ft tank has 3 Hydra32. At 26 inches above the tank, I get approximately 30 inches of spread per lamp. That means I get a nice 4 inch overlap of light.

I think one Hydra32 with the fixture oriented so that the lights are "left" and "right" would light your tank very nicely. You can always add a second one down the road if needed.

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference for me is the light design. I'll attach images to show what I mean by panel vs Puck. My radions are xr15s gen 4. I always ran all of my ecotech devices using ecosmart live with a reeflink. This was how to control them online pre mobius. (sorry of your aware of that already) I made up my mind I would never buy radions because the newer ones only work on mobius and I hated Mobius when I tried it before. I still do not like it but am adapting but only because I wanted to add 2 more MP40s recently and they only run on mobius. I went ahead and upgraded my xr15 to Mobius also. I wouldn't spend the money for radions these days but that's a personal decision.
I'm about a year in with my photons over my SPS tank. It's mostly acro frags that are encrusting nicely. I have kept fleshy lps under them also and they did well. Photo are just snap shots from a moment ago

These are the two photon 32s
20240110_141430.jpg

And the xr15s. Notice how much light spill compared to the photons? The tank with the photons is in our dining room so that was a concern when deciding on lights. Also mounts have to be made or purchased for radions.
20240110_141337.jpg

IMO you really can't go wrong with most lights on the market these days.
Just for info this is my 180g under 6 Noopsyche K7 pros. Tons of light spill but they are in a canopy so it's not an issue. I really like them and for around $1k for all 6 it was a bargain I think. I've been running them maybe 2 years or so. The tank has been running 8 years and has never looked better.
20240110_141511.jpg

Almost forgot about the photon 24. This is it on the reefer 170 with a 4 bulb t5 hybrid on top. I didn't really need the T5s but had the fixture and the nem seems to appreciate them.

20240110_144401.jpg

Sorry for being so long winded. Hopefully the comparison is useful to you and maybe others. Good luck with your decision.
Your really selling my on these lights. Are these app controlled too or can they run separately from the app. I don’t like the whole reeflink/mobuis app internet thing I like things to run independently. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond with pictures it really helps. I think a 24” on my 30”L is the way to go.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your really selling my on these lights. Are these app controlled too or can they run separately from the app. I don’t like the whole reeflink/mobuis app internet thing I like things to run independently. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond with pictures it really helps. I think a 24” on my 30”L is the way to go.
They do run on an app. I like the app. I run 9 apps accross all tanks including some wifi plugs and stuff. I'd rate the reefbeat app toward the top for ease of use and reliability of doing what it's supposed to.
A 24 would probably be perfect over your scape.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Or3 bars

Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd

Vivarspectra

Ai Blade

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 2 xr15 would look very nice on that tank with the rms mounts. Best looking in my humble opinion.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one I that just caught my eye. How do you like the reefi? How many did you use for that size tank?
Went home yesterday and hooked up the reefi because of this thread. I played with it for a little while tank isnt ready for light yet. It was a little finicky to get set up on the wifi ( probably my wifi or own fault) coverage is good on the 28x28x24" tank. As expected there is par drop off starting about 3-4" around the edges but at 120w on the preset lps day function I was getting 200 par with flow on at the mid tank point and about 80 at the glass edge. upper 90s on the sand bed in the "hot" zone. Im a fan of kessils love their shimmer and Ideally I probably should have gone with an ap9x on this tank but didnt want to spend the $ on it. There is shimmer on the reefi but its a little more "chaotic" but not to bad. Im just glad its not flat like so many panels. Overall I like it, color is good, adjustability is nice, web link or whatever its called (once I figured it out) works well. I think if you can figure out a mounting situation for yourself this would deff cover your needs. It comes with a wire hanger. I know they offer a tank mount but you said that wouldnt work in your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back