Need help picking a light

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went home yesterday and hooked up the reefi because of this thread. I played with it for a little while tank isnt ready for light yet. It was a little finicky to get set up on the wifi ( probably my wifi or own fault) coverage is good on the 28x28x24" tank. As expected there is par drop off starting about 3-4" around the edges but at 120w on the preset lps day function I was getting 200 par with flow on at the mid tank point and about 80 at the glass edge. upper 90s on the sand bed in the "hot" zone. Im a fan of kessils love their shimmer and Ideally I probably should have gone with an ap9x on this tank but didnt want to spend the $ on it. There is shimmer on the reefi but its a little more "chaotic" but not to bad. Im just glad its not flat like so many panels. Overall I like it, color is good, adjustability is nice, web link or whatever its called (once I figured it out) works well. I think if you can figure out a mounting situation for yourself this would deff cover your needs. It comes with a wire hanger. I know they offer a tank mount but you said that wouldnt work in your tank.
Oh, and no Pic.
I have noticed they have a pink tone.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and no Pic.
I have noticed they have a pink tone.
you can easily remove that with out effecting the base spectrum to much. I just bumped up the lime, and cool whites from the original stock setting by about 10%. Gave a real nice 14-15k look to it. I think it comes from the violet leds but wasnt real noticable in person anyway. I was a little worried to seeing pics online.

sorry no pic wasnt in that mindset.

Abraxas42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling the same 48g tank now and am debating on using two AI primes that I already have, sps dominant mixed reef.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spectrum is pretty much anything you desire, and kessil uses "kessil logic" which from my elementary understanding ensures that no matter what color blend you choose to please your eye, the software will ensure enough of the appropriate wavelengths are present for coral growth. That being said, I am also adding an orphec LED bar along the front of my tank to reduce shadowing, so in my opinion kessils are not the best standalone option, as spotlights simply cannot match the even coverage provided by bars or arrays (like reefbreeders photon fixtures).
I like the Kessil's too. I use AP9x with two pucks. What is nice about the double puck is that one puck tends to fill in the shadow created by the other. Still, I supplement with T5 along the front. I really like the look when it is just the Kessil (no T5); great caustic lines. I can grow every type of coral. People give me their sick corals for me to recover for them.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 48g fijicube 30x24x16 looking for light recommendations. Aquascape is about 22-24Lx12W.

Planning on it being a mixed reef sps towards the top half of the tank hammer/torch middle to bottom zoas on the sand

been out of the game for about 10yrs lighting has changed over to leds (was a t5 guy previously) so many options ecotech, AI, kessil, reefbreeders, and list goes on.

I’m not opposed to having 2 units but I wouldn’t mind having a single unit also. Only thing is need a mounting solution that has 2 legs/mounts this tank as a center overflow that will not allow for a single mount located in the middle.

Im open on budget but id liked like it to be worth it and not just paying for brand name. Also how do you guys feel on buying used on there led units? Thanks for help in advance.

IMG_1121.jpeg
Defiantly get a lamp with an app so you can tweak the light spectrums, I have the Maxspect Jump 65W and it works great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back