Kessil AP700 Issues

Djohnson5198

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member and first time saltwater tank owner. I just picked up a 180gal reef tank which had two AP700’s. They are approximately 2-1/2 to 3yrs old. One of the lights was functioning fine but fan didn’t work so after a period of time the light would overheat and shut down. I’ve sent it in to Kessil for evaluation and repairs but the light can not be repaired as they have reported that the main board is the issue and it’s coated for water protection and can not be serviced. My dilemma is do I bite the bullet and buy a replacement AP700 or simply go another route. I just hate to invest the funds for another AP700 and have my other one crap out and be in the same situation again. It’s a little disappointing to have to trash a light that is so expensive due to a likely $25 dollar fan not running properly.

Any of you have any similar issues with your AP700’s? Curious as to what kind of lifespan I can expect out of the one that I have that is running now.

Thx
Derek

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member and first time saltwater tank owner. I just picked up a 180gal reef tank which had two AP700’s. They are approximately 2-1/2 to 3yrs old. One of the lights was functioning fine but fan didn’t work so after a period of time the light would overheat and shut down. I’ve sent it in to Kessil for evaluation and repairs but the light can not be repaired as they have reported that the main board is the issue and it’s coated for water protection and can not be serviced. My dilemma is do I bite the bullet and buy a replacement AP700 or simply go another route. I just hate to invest the funds for another AP700 and have my other one crap out and be in the same situation again. It’s a little disappointing to have to trash a light that is so expensive due to a likely $25 dollar fan not running properly.

Any of you have any similar issues with your AP700’s? Curious as to what kind of lifespan I can expect out of the one that I have that is running now.

Thx
Derek
I have lots of Kessil lights but no APs I find that they last me about 6 years if maintained well. I am fine with this but I know many who aren't. I find most people will upgrade or replace LEDs by 4 to 5 years so the 6 years is good enough for me. I still have an original 360 non WE from 2012 that is running today.

If you are buying used lights you just have to know that the components do have a lifespan. I personally don't like buying any used LEDs because if a component breaks then you are basically done. With T5 or Halides it is much easier to repair and replace components.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to hardwire the fan so it is always on when then light is powered up. I did something similar with an A150, but not familiar with the AP700

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many Kessil lights including a pair of AP700's; have not had this issue at all.
I would wait to purchase a light, their is a new replacement for the AP700, the AP9X. You can look at it now, and it will ship soon. Once it ships (if you stay with Kessil) you can either purchase that or there should be a price break on the AP700's.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of AP700's as well. As with you, I bought them used... kinda... I bought them from a guy that ran an aquarium shop that was closed. One was brand new in the box, the other had been over a frag tank for a few months.

Anyway, I paid nowhere near list price for them.

I'm using them mounted in an Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid fixture.

I'd certainly try and wait for the AP9x to be released... either get the new model, or catch an AP700 on clearance.

OP
OP
Djohnson5198

Djohnson5198

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about the new AP9X which is why the struggle. I hate to replace the AP700 to have my other fail in short time to find I can’t get another but I’m not ready to upgrade both to the new models. If I have to drop that kind of money I may simply move in a different direction away from Kessil. Love the light but not being able to repair a light due to fan issues is a little bothersome to me. Kessil did offer a new replacement AP700 for a better than retail price. That may be the best option just to get some light back in the tank for now and replace both later down the road with something new.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought about the new AP9X which is why the struggle. I hate to replace the AP700 to have my other fail in short time to find I can’t get another but I’m not ready to upgrade both to the new models. If I have to drop that kind of money I may simply move in a different direction away from Kessil. Love the light but not being able to repair a light due to fan issues is a little bothersome to me. Kessil did offer a new replacement AP700 for a better than retail price. That may be the best option just to get some light back in the tank for now and replace both later down the road with something new.
I have two 700's over my tank and I'm going to replace them with 360x's (unless the ap9x is far above the 360x?). I already have a 360x in the center, but I really like the idea of being able to move each light to exactly where I want them. Something I can't do with the 700. I wouldn't get a replacement 700, but maybe they'll discount two 360x's? Just a thought. Btw, Kessil with Orphek OR2 bars is a great combo, it's what I'm running.

OP
OP
Djohnson5198

Djohnson5198

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 360’s may be a good option. The two 700’s were placed a little funny due to tank supports up top.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of Kessil lights but no APs I find that they last me about 6 years if maintained well. I am fine with this but I know many who aren't. I find most people will upgrade or replace LEDs by 4 to 5 years so the 6 years is good enough for me. I still have an original 360 non WE from 2012 that is running today.

If you are buying used lights you just have to know that the components do have a lifespan. I personally don't like buying any used LEDs because if a component breaks then you are basically done. With T5 or Halides it is much easier to repair and replace components.
Have you reached out to Kessil? I purchase a couple used and then had problems with the red moonlight not coming in as scheduled. Just based on the serial numbers they replaced them with brand new units. Their customer service has been fantastic. Kessil fan for life! PS I'll have 5 AP700s for sale as soon as I get my new AP9xs.

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Broken Kessil AP700 Fan not spinning Update **

Previously, I wrote that I actually have 3 Kessil AP700's. Two out of the Three have the same issues.

It started when the lights started making a humming / ticking noise.

After inspecting the unit I noticed the fan was spinning very weakly and not blowing out much air.
Eventually, the fan would just stop. This made the light switch off because it was overheating.
After searching for advice online, it appears to be a common issue with these lights.

Now, before people jump in and say "did I try using compressed air to blow out the dust" or "have I tried using WD40" or even "take the unit apart and give it a really good clean"...Yes, I did all of this and maybe it helped for a while but a few weeks later the same issue would happen again.

Clearly, the fan needed to be replaced.

I reached out to Kessil and they explained that the fans could not, in fact, be replaced!! They also explained that as the lights were also no longer under warranty, I would need to replace the whole unit...Sorry, both units!!

For such an expensive light I was shocked that a light unit, that retails for £800-£900 would need replacing because a £20 fan stopped spinning?

Anyway, I was not about to bin the lights due to a fan problem, and seeing I am not a tech-savvy guy, I reached out to a computer company here in Guernsey to see if they could help to fix them.

The guy came around and looked at one of the lights and could not see a problem replacing the fan and took one of them away with him to see if he could find a solution.

Today Sam (the guy that said he might be able to replace the fans) returned the dead Kessil AP700 that had a broken/burnt-out fan.

The good news is, he did manage to replace the fan and the once dead AP700 is back up and running. What is even better, the new fan he used to replace the broken one with, actually runs the lights cooler and is very quite. So, it's even better than it was before!!

I am glad I did not poke around the unit myself as he mentioned that it was not that straightforward to get the old fan out and he also needed to micro-solder some wires and then coat them with a waterproof solution... all sounds far too "fiddly" for me.

Sam kindly documented the process for me.
Sadly, It's in a word document which I can't see how to post it here.
If anyone knows how to do it, let me know and I happily post it if it helps.

If you are having or have a having or have a dead Kessil AP700 I would strongly recommend reaching out to Sam.

If you want to reach out to Sam (the man) his company is called https://techy.gg/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back