Kessil ap700

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ap700 over a Red Sea reefer peninsula 500 I was wondering if anyone else has this same setup? I ask this because I started with my lights 18 inches off water surface and I was starting to bleach some acros so I moved it up to 24 and have seen no improvement I have the light turned down to 50% I am beginning to think these lights are way more powerful then I had thought they were going to be I initially was going to buy only one but thought that it would not be enough. I am thinking of moveing them up again was wanting to get some insight on what others are doing? My local fish store was them 4 ft above there frag tank and it works for them so I was courious as to what other reefers are doing. I originally was going to go with Mitras lx7 but could not get them in a timely manner I wonder if I made the right choice in lighting. With this kind of investment I hope to get this figured out. Thanks for your help and insight in this.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ap700 over a Red Sea reefer peninsula 500 I was wondering if anyone else has this same setup? I ask this because I started with my lights 18 inches off water surface and I was starting to bleach some acros so I moved it up to 24 and have seen no improvement I have the light turned down to 50% I am beginning to think these lights are way more powerful then I had thought they were going to be I initially was going to buy only one but thought that it would not be enough. I am thinking of moveing them up again was wanting to get some insight on what others are doing? My local fish store was them 4 ft above there frag tank and it works for them so I was courious as to what other reefers are doing. I originally was going to go with Mitras lx7 but could not get them in a timely manner I wonder if I made the right choice in lighting. With this kind of investment I hope to get this figured out. Thanks for your help and insight in this.
For two ap700s on a 4 foot tank, I'd mount them about 10 inches off the waters surface and run them at about 30 percent intensity. Did you acclimate your coral to these lights before turning them up?

OP
OP
S

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Kessil acclimate feature. I will lower intensity and I will adjust height accordingly. I have had a hard time getting the two lights to pair one seems to always fall out of sync. I normally have to push the program light once every few days to get the one to run program with the other light. Any suggestions on this? Thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very powerful. I mounted my AP700s in a 60" Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture. The tank is 25.5 deep. It has a glass cover over the entire tank. Both AP700 have the slight diffuser on it. I run them as high as 45% in my cycle, the light is 13 inches above the water line. I'm getting par readings on the bottom around 70, up top 170.

OP
OP
S

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m seeing that they are very powerful. I love the look of them and how easy they are to clean. I need to invest in a par meter just hate they cost so much. I just have to look at it as a way to save the corals I have and the new additions as a way to justify the money spent. I normally only buy top notch equipment as to avoid problems down the road so a par meter would be a great investment. Thanks for the help guys.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the seneye with mine. Works great and it's not too expensive.
Yeah I’m seeing that they are very powerful. I love the look of them and how easy they are to clean. I need to invest in a par meter just hate they cost so much. I just have to look at it as a way to save the corals I have and the new additions as a way to justify the money spent. I normally only buy top notch equipment as to avoid problems down the road so a par meter would be a great investment. Thanks for the help guys.

OP
OP
S

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I was under the impression that it only did PUR and you had to convert to get a close number to PAR. That is good news.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I was under the impression that it only did PUR and you had to convert to get a close number to PAR. That is good news.

Or it might have been lux but it was one of the two I was thinking
....01.PNG

OP
OP
S

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you could show me a light schedule I could start with Crabs to help me get close to what I need?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you could show me a light schedule I could start with Crabs to help me get close to what I need?
Do a 10 hour cycle, start at deep ocean blue color and 10% intensity, then have it ramp up to 40% intensity over 2 hours, whatever color you choose is up to you for your daytime color, then after 6 hours ramp back down to 0 intensity and deep ocean blue color. Should look something like this:

Edit: 30% intensity for max not 40%
Screenshot_20180516-174930_Kessil WiFi Controller - Phone.jpg

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stix,

Haven't read all the way thru this post, but those lights can be like a Death Star beam.

The easiest way to acclimate your corals to this light is to start at 10% with a low light coral at the bottom (10% or half the par normally recommended). Slowly increase (5%) from there. Once you've established a baseline for what intensity a low light coral will thrive at, you should be able to mount higher light corals closer to the middle and top.

Starting at too high an intensity will result in you bleaching or downright disintegrating many corals, so starting at the bottom and working your way up will be easier on you and your wallet. This means you'll need a little patience but it's better than cooking all your corals and pulling your hair out trying to figure out why. And the wait is worth it, as I love the coral pop with these lights.

OP
OP
S

Stixlife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks a lot guys I think I have it worked out now. I called Kessil and let me tell you there customer service was amazing. Talked to a lady named Kim and she helped me reset these fixtures and then had a tech leader call me and walk me threw the whole set up. Turns out I was connect to the fixtures on two devices. Everything works good now. I’m running the program Crabs was kind enough to hook me up with. Thanks a lot guys your awesome.

Hairmetal89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking on AP700 forums for a while. Time to partake. I've been running one ap700 on my 120gal for about a year. Have 2 orbit led strips also (because I had them before and they are nice sunrise/sunset). I'm going to be adding 2 T5 blue + soon. I set up my rockwork to be islands "under" the pucks. I struggle w/ intensity setting.... It's at 50% but I still worry about stuff burning...I do not have a par meter. Montis all thrive, but acros glued to the top of the rockworks all tend to dull/bleach out...
IMG_4661.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking on AP700 forums for a while. Time to partake. I've been running one ap700 on my 120gal for about a year. Have 2 orbit led strips also (because I had them before and they are nice sunrise/sunset). I'm going to be adding 2 T5 blue + soon. I set up my rockwork to be islands "under" the pucks. I struggle w/ intensity setting.... It's at 50% but I still worry about stuff burning...I do not have a par meter. Montis all thrive, but acros glued to the top of the rockworks all tend to dull/bleach out...
IMG_4661.jpg
Welcome to R2R! How far off the waters surface do you have the light mounted? And are the Orbit LED strips the standard or Pro version?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back