Kessil LED vs Halide T5

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day I see the sun go around the earth.....................;)

Hey, science is far from perfect. Because its done by people.. Sometimes colored by their own beliefs and observations of what seems to work..

There is plenty of bad science as well as false assumptions........or confusing cause w/ effect..
We have different philosophies..
Yes, I agree.
You know another thing I was thinking the other day...
The spectrometers also could read differently from source to source and specially from company to company, depending of the environment and applications they expose when they read. So I kinda just look into the graphics to have a rough idea. I'm not sure how we could actually know that one company here in the US would read their spectrum exactly the same way the guys in Germany do and vice versa... It's pretty close most of the time though. At least for the T5s...

Grandis.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update, 11/21/2017. For this picture all frags were placed side by side in the LED tank, so lighting is identical, and lightroom batch job settings were applied, so the exact same corrections are done to each image. All frags are under 300 PAR according to Seneye.

ORA Pearlberry LED
Boom-0113.jpg

ORA Pearlberry T5Halide
Boom-0117.jpg

FF Red Robin LED
Boom-0121.jpg

FF Red Robin T5Halide
Boom-0125.jpg

Rainbow Monti LED
Boom-0127.jpg

Rainbow Monti T5Halide - I'm going to have to put this frag onto a large growout disc as it's already grown over the plug down to the frag rack.
Boom-0130.jpg

Cornbred Flaming Phoenix LED
Boom-0131.jpg

Cornbred Flaming Phoenix T5Halide
Boom-0136.jpg

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say there is a pretty distinct difference.

Okay, It looks like I'm blind or monitor sucks. Looking back at the starting point pictures. The frags look a little different to be start. The photos are a little different. If I had to choose my preference for each I'd go: Halide pearlberry, led red robin, halide monti's, but the differences are so small. If I use the pearlberry as example, the pearlberry for LED started out green but appears to be losing it's green. Growth for LED pearlberry lagged at first but appears to be catching up. What am I missing?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say there is a pretty distinct difference.

so which ones are un-sellable? ;)

From my more than amateur eye I see ,except for the rainbow, very little critical differences..differences yes, some pigment changes, slight extension differences
As to the rainbow.. being called a rainbow.. prefer the LED one...could use more "density" though ;)
from a grower/seller obviously the Halide growth is preferred..

Sorry, new to "grading" corals and would like some tips..

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so which ones are un-sellable? ;)

From my more than amateur eye I see ,except for the rainbow, very little critical differences..differences yes, some pigment changes, slight extension differences
As to the rainbow.. being called a rainbow.. prefer the LED one...could use more "density" though ;)
from a grower/seller obviously the Halide growth is preferred..

Sorry, new to "grading" corals and would like some tips..
Speaking as a seller, I can get more for the cornbred monti and the rainbow monti that have been under T5Halide because of the color and more growth. The other two have no discernable difference in color and growth.

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, I've been watching along this whole time, holding my opinions until we see pics. I have to agree the only stand out is the Monti, but montis are known to do that. I run 4 Kessils on a 4' tank. I added 2 a few weeks back and watched a few high up colonies react poorly (cooked)while others seem to be taking off. It actually prompted me to lower my peak intensity to 95%. Rather than take the Kessils down, how about add one more to make it a fair fight. The coverage due to overlap due to the wide angle lens is completely changed with 4. After all the T5 system is 4' long.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking as a seller, I can get more for the cornbred monti and the rainbow monti that have been under T5Halide because of the color and more growth. The other two have no discernable difference in color and growth.

Fair enough.. thanks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, I've been watching along this whole time, holding my opinions until we see pics. I have to agree the only stand out is the Monti, but montis are known to do that. I run 4 Kessils on a 4' tank. I added 2 a few weeks back and watched a few high up colonies react poorly (cooked)while others seem to be taking off. It actually prompted me to lower my peak intensity to 95%. Rather than take the Kessils down, how about add one more to make it a fair fight. The coverage due to overlap due to the wide angle lens is completely changed with 4. After all the T5 system is 4' long.

You added twice the lights and only had to reduce intensity by 5%?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back