Kessil LED vs Halide T5

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack "a quantity" of lower than 450nm light in the LEd's is why the frag didn't respond like it did w/ the T5's...
I said there are no magic photons but there are different photons.. ;)
you know it's kind of silly arguing a "one off" frag response.. but finding out if there is an easy to understand reason benefits all..

Say someone gets "that frag" but runs all coral plus tubes and it turns brown.. ;)

somewhere "out there" there is a set of pie charts that break down many LEd spectral components in percent output. Can't find it currently and I also know its a bit outdated..

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack "a quantity" of lower than 450nm light in the LEd's is why the frag didn't respond like it did w/ the T5's...
you know it's kind of silly arguing a "one of" frag response.. but finding out if there is an easy to understand reason benefits all..

Say someone gets "that frag" but runs all coral plus tubes and it turns brown.. ;)

somewhere "out there" there is a set of pie charts that break down many LEd spectral components in percent output. Can't find it currently and I also know its a bit outdated..
So are you saying that the coral was brown because the leds are missing "true actinic" or are you implying the frag was brown because it was kept under a spectrum equal to all coral plus bulbs or are just trying to cause drama? It's very unclear with your posts.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know it's kind of silly arguing a "one of" frag response.. but finding out if there is an easy to understand reason benefits all..

All three of the light sources I posted have 420nm and well below and in higher concentration than every other part of the spectrum with the exception of 450-460nm. Again, what you're posting makes no sense when the vast majority of the lights spectrum is right in the range you're addressing. What that has to do with your original question regarding 6500k has me even more lost; higher "K" ratings imply more blue content.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to say "one off"
Yes. Old habit.. one off sounds dumb.. ;)
All three of the light sources I posted have 420nm and well below and in higher concentration than every other part of the spectrum with the exception of 450-460nm. Again, what you're posting makes no sense when the vast majority of the lights spectrum is right in the range you're addressing. What that has to do with your original question regarding 6500k has me even more lost; higher "K" ratings imply more blue content.
Prefer numbers. Or at least like this:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/lighting
image_full

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skip the 6500k part.. not important..

Charts don't exactly show the real picture.. and don't want to do the calculus to guess anyways..
besides many are "smoothed" (lets not go there)

until I see proof to the contrary I'm still hypothesizing the large quantity of "actinic" in the t5 is the trick..
If you got numbers or percents for 420 and less I'll gladly accept them..

Again, and to make it clearer.. a "guess" as to why on my part.

So lets reverse this a bit .. Why do you think it stayed brown w/ the LED's then went "colored" w/ the t5?

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420nm has certainly been a staple for as long as I can remember; when I started reef keeping (around '94) we had VHOs in actinic, 50/50, and daylight when it came to florescent lighting. I dont think there is any denying its importance.

In the case of BoomCorals coral, I dont believe the coral was in his frag tank with the A360WEs as it's fairly new. Impossible for me to say it would perform any differently than the other configurations he's had if it hasn't been.

Edit: I do believe his T5 combination of lights are peaking around 450-460nm though.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every ATI tube is (except "actinic") is a variation on this w/ little difference on the blue region.
These also are similar to every decent LEd..w/ the exception of a weaker cyan region..
He ran one tube of the "actinic" w/ 7 tubes of "like" spectrum
Making it 1/8 the power in a band below 425-ish..
Still awaiting numbers on LEd's power spectrum at 425-ish and lower..
not just charts..
bulbs_chart_blueplus_large.png

bulbs_chart_trueactinic_large.png

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isnt 1/8th the "power" because every light in his array has large amounts of light in the 420nm spectrum. All of the "charts" reference a relative intensity like the ones you just posted.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isnt 1/8th the "power" because every light in his array has large amounts of light in the 420nm spectrum. All of the "charts" reference a relative intensity like the ones you just posted.

No, no they don't.. though you need real analysis to confirm that.
Now you are correct. it is more than 1/8 probably (or calculated, maybe even less).. still less than the LEd's..
Look this is all a crude estimation but I think the premise holds.. The t5 array has way more <425nm "blue" than any of the tested LEDs..
Radiometric watts:
http://aquanerd.com/2015/07/ati-giesemann-t5-comparison-part-2.html

radio1.JPG
radio3.JPG
radio2.JPG

Generic b/W led:
riddle_table1.jpg

20,000k MH
riddle_table2.jpg

http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=141

sort of pointless comparison , thought I'd better add that ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you...

err.. what color does it look like under normal daylight?

Since I have yet to see any proof of "magic photons" almost everything has to to w/ spectrum components and/or intensity..
Though "stroboscopic" effects of multi-colored LED emitters has some possibilities to add another complication..

BTW: did you measure the PAR at the frag spot under each of those lights?

ati-bulbs-chart-1_2.jpg
Yep. 300 PAR in all cases.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curiosity...how much is real pigment.. how much is "forced"..guess even that is arguable.. ;)

my guess for the effect.. The True actinic which is lacking in almost all the mentioned LEds..at least in quantity..
composes 1/8 of the output of the T5's..

Use an Orphek V4.. Run ch 3 and 2 (or 4) heavy...
The change was real. It was brown when first put under the T5. Not sure what you’re trying to insinuate...

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the discussion but remember this is a basic experiment I’m doing for whatever it provides. If you want something more scientific, there are other sources, or you could spend thousands of your own $ to do it. :) This experiment is about growth and color. All other things in my tank are equal except the lights. I did this mostly for myself, since I grow corals to then frag them for sale, then need those colonies to heal and grow some more, so I can frag them again. But I figured I’d post this one for others to see too for fun.

So chat away, discussion is encouraged. But be nice!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The change was real. It was brown when first put under the T5. Not sure what you’re trying to insinuate...
I'm not insinuating anything.. certainly don't question your observation..
but think of it this way.. Put a blue object under a red light and it looks black..
Put a florescent pigment under a light w/ no stimulating wavelength and it doesn't fluoresce..
If some of the new color was caused by flourecence it will be less in daylight and true pigments will show..most likely..
If I had to guess, it would be less blue but not brown under "daylight" .. but again, not really a main part of what I was trying to get at..

Like I posted earlier. forget it.. I was just curious..

Still recommend trying it under an atlantik w/ heavy boost in the purple/blue range.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not insinuating anything.. certainly don't question your observation..
but think of it this way.. Put a blue object under a red light and it looks black..
Put a florescent pigment under a light w/ no stimulating wavelength and it doesn't fluoresce..
If some of the new color was caused by flourecence it will be less in daylight and true pigments will show..most likely..
If I had to guess, it would be less blue but not brown under "daylight" .. but again, not really a main part of what I was trying to get at..

Like I posted earlier. forget it.. I was just curious..

Still recommend trying it under an atlantik w/ heavy boost in the purple/blue range.
It was all brown when it was first under the T5. The T5 in my estimation is what caused the change. If it was the actinic or whatever, so be it. It was something that kessil and radion g4 pros were not providing it seems.

When I put it back under LED today it looked the same as under the T5. The colors as pictured.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since I grow corals to then frag them for sale, then need those colonies to heal and grow some more, so I can frag them again. But I figured I’d post this one for others to see too for fun.

You should then more than appreciate telling your customers "this coral requires a lot of violet light for good color and growth" vs .."go buy some t5's"... ;)

sorry bit of levity...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was all brown when it was first under the T5. The T5 in my estimation is what caused the change. If it was the actinic or whatever, so be it. It was something that kessil and radion g4 pros were not providing it seems.

When I put it back under LED today it looked the same as under the T5. The colors as pictured.

Now will it "stick".. any bets?
I'm actually betting against it but it's possible..but that has ZERO to do w/ one light source topology vs another..

See I'd never say "it's the T5's" but its something in the spectrum of the t5..and the likely area is the "actinic" band..
I know it's sort of splitting hairs but the only way I can, personally, look at it..
a photon is a photon regardless of source..

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back