Kessil LED vs Halide T5

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread makes me happy with my choice. My 220 isnt stocked with many corals yet but just seeing the tank lit with the Giesemann Spectra is making me happy. Its the best looking tank I have ever had. My LEDs are in the garage til I can sell them.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4-24in T5's to supplement my 3 Kessil 360's. I'm beginning to think I'm supplementing T5's with Kessil's lol.

I like the shimmer from the Kessils so if I do change lighting I still want to integrate them somehow.
I agree about the shimmer- it's unmatched. How did you decide which T5's to add? I'm thinking ATI blue + for all four bulbs.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the shimmer- it's unmatched. How did you decide which T5's to add? I'm thinking ATI blue + for all four bulbs.
I'm going 2 Blue + , 1 Coral + and either another coral+, purple+ or actinic. First test will be 2 B+, C+ and P+.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 4-blue+ and I ended up with a tank that looked like Windex.

I currently run:
2-Blue+
1- Coral+
1-Purple+

This gives me a blue look that looks more natural to my eyes.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy also reported better colors under halides?T5s. No more LEDs for him!
Spectacular colors!

Just wanted to share.
Grandis.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared Led vs Halide vs T5 or Led/T5 vs Halide/T5? I would expect a combination to outperform a single. I have considered the new hybrid since I have radions!

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared Led vs Halide vs T5 or Led/T5 vs Halide/T5? I would expect a combination to outperform a single. I have considered the new hybrid since I have radions!
I have an all T5 fixture that I'm doing my own comparison with my T5/halide fixture. I do not anticipate doing any t5/led combos unless the business grows and I add more tanks. :)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 4-blue+ and I ended up with a tank that looked like Windex.

I currently run:
2-Blue+
1- Coral+
1-Purple+

This gives me a blue look that looks more natural to my eyes.

That Purple+ must make all the difference as I run a Blue+/Coral+ and it is ugggggly LOL.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an all T5 fixture that I'm doing my own comparison with my T5/halide fixture. I do not anticipate doing any t5/led combos unless the business grows and I add more tanks. :)

What bulb combo? I'm following a build on here where they just run B+ and C+ on overdriven ballasts and the colors they pull are amazing.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Purple+ must make all the difference as I run a Blue+/Coral+ and it is ugggggly LOL.
What makes this combo ugly? I thought about this combo as well as 2 blue+/2 actinic. I'd really like to bring out the fluorescence of the coral.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What makes this combo ugly? I thought about this combo as well as 2 blue+/2 actinic. I'd really like to bring out the fluorescence of the coral.
2 coral plus will not bring out the fluorescence. 2 blue, 1 coral and 1 actinic is a great 4 bulb combo. I even like a purple plus in place of the coral plus

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy also reported better colors under halides?T5s. No more LEDs for him!
Spectacular colors!

Just wanted to share.
Grandis.

Someone has to be that guy, sorry, just wanted to share... :p

Isn't that video from 2014 or something? Have you seen the latest tank shot from 'that guy'?

New FTS!
i-9c25jXv-X2.jpg

I'll take a couple other close shots soon, too. :)

Looks like he is beta-testing the new Giesemann mini-halide fixtures at the moment. :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone has to be that guy, sorry, just wanted to share... :p

Isn't that video from 2014 or something? Have you seen the latest tank shot from 'that guy'?

Looks like he is beta-testing the new Giesemann mini-halide fixtures at the moment. :)
ROFL! :D

Yep, that was 3.5 years ago... Gen 1 and 2 Radions.
One thing I did learn since then is I wasn't running enough light and they were mounted too low. So lots of shadowing issues/not enough light getting to my coral.
I had 4 Radions across that 84" tank. I have a lot more per square inch now in comparison.
Second, my lights are literally twice as high, offering much better spread/dispersion.
Third, the Radions have improved quite a lot since then.
And finally, we have much more data today as far as the best spectrum for coral health thanks to research like Coral Lab.

The verdict is still out as far as how things will go once I have large colonies in my tank, but I can say that this time around, my colors are vastly improved with LED compared to back then.
I do still love me some MH/T5 lighting, but the gap is closing and I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I'd see a major difference in growth and color if I was to switch.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ROFL! :D

Yep, that was 3.5 years ago... Gen 1 and 2 Radions.
One thing I did learn since then is I wasn't running enough light and they were mounted too low. So lots of shadowing issues/not enough light getting to my coral.
I had 4 Radions across that 84" tank. I have a lot more per square inch now in comparison.
Second, my lights are literally twice as high, offering much better spread/dispersion.
Third, the Radions have improved quite a lot since then.
And finally, we have much more data today as far as the best spectrum for coral health thanks to research like Coral Lab.

The verdict is still out as far as how things will go once I have large colonies in my tank, but I can say that this time around, my colors are vastly improved with LED compared to back then.
I do still love me some MH/T5 lighting, but the gap is closing and I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I'd see a major difference in growth and color if I was to switch.
I can't believe we still have to look at that freaking cord...Photoshop it already Dennis!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe we still have to look at that freaking cord...Photoshop it already Dennis!
Hey, at least I listened to you numbnuts and wrapped the three separate cords with a silver wrap! ;Smuggrin

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, at least I listened to you numbnuts and wrapped the three separate cords with a silver wrap! ;Smuggrin
Hey! I wasn't one of those numbnuts. But I did make fun of said numbnuts...I think you should wrap that cord in Christmas lights and post pictures. Really set them off!

Okay we're OT...back to your scheduled programming

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing a receptacle like when mounting a wall hung tv would work. Although if you ever broke it down you'd have an outlet just floating in space lol.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back