Kessil LED vs Halide T5

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone has to be that guy, sorry, just wanted to share... :p

Isn't that video from 2014 or something? Have you seen the latest tank shot from 'that guy'?
Just try to search a little more. There are tons of "guys", and girls too, that went back to T5s and MHs from LEDs even earlier than 'that guy", including myself!!. :p:p
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL! :D

Yep, that was 3.5 years ago... Gen 1 and 2 Radions.
One thing I did learn since then is I wasn't running enough light and they were mounted too low. So lots of shadowing issues/not enough light getting to my coral.
I had 4 Radions across that 84" tank. I have a lot more per square inch now in comparison.
Second, my lights are literally twice as high, offering much better spread/dispersion.
Third, the Radions have improved quite a lot since then.
And finally, we have much more data today as far as the best spectrum for coral health thanks to research like Coral Lab.

The verdict is still out as far as how things will go once I have large colonies in my tank, but I can say that this time around, my colors are vastly improved with LED compared to back then.
I do still love me some MH/T5 lighting, but the gap is closing and I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I'd see a major difference in growth and color if I was to switch.
Thanks or your words.
That PDF published by EcoTech isn't anything to be proud of at all.
That comparison isn't too fair, you know? LOL!
The comparison in this thread is more likely what it should be done.
There are many more good info in this forum by serious people, and other publications, to let us choose more accordingly.
I don't want to disturb this thread. I believe you should search more if you want to learn more. I've been learning a lot here.
I bet there are many more people here ROFL thinking of what you have said.
Grandis.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral labs is ecotech. So, it may provide what works best for their lights. But they are not an objective source for any kind of light comparison because they are after all, ecotech. If t5 or halide or say AI beat the radion in any kind of comparison, they'd never post that.

But as a source for getting the best performance out of your radions, that's what it's for. And I applaud them for going to that length for their customers.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they have to do that. There are way too many other LED companies there trying to compete with the rolling market.
And they look like scientists with their dressing.
Grandis.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they have to do that. There are way too many other LED companies there trying to compete with the rolling market.
And they look like scientists with their dressing.
Grandis.
Never mind.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes this combo ugly? I thought about this combo as well as 2 blue+/2 actinic. I'd really like to bring out the fluorescence of the coral.

The Coral+ casts a lavender like hue to the tank that just looks drab and boring; it removed a lot of the contrast that makes the Kessils so enjoyable to view (to me anyways). I'm dumping it for another Blue+ when I place another order but I don't need enough to make it worth while right now.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you like to attack LED lighting in quite a few threads on R2R. LED, T5, and MH all grow coral. All have their pro's and con's. None of them are perfect so chill on the whole LED's are terrible bandwagon.
I'm sorry if I caused any disturbances.
Grandis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral+ casts a lavender like hue to the tank that just looks drab and boring; it removed a lot of the contrast that makes the Kessils so enjoyable to view (to me anyways). I'm dumping it for another Blue+ when I place another order but I don't need enough to make it worth while right now.
I've noticed that too. I might remove my two coral plus and try two aquablue special. My T5 only tank is looking rather lavender-ey lol

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that too. I might remove my two coral plus and try two aquablue special. My T5 only tank is looking rather lavender-ey lol
Aquablue Special supposed to be worse than the Coral Plus in that regard.
Grandis.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquablue Special supposed to be worse than the Coral Plus in that regard.
Grandis.
Oh really? Hmm. Suggestions then? I don't want more blue+ as I think that will be too blue. Remember I'm running four blue plus, two actinic, two coral plus.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try 2 purple plus in place of the coral plus or 1 of each. You might like that look a bit better. To me the aqua blue special washes out the tank.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Hmm. Suggestions then? I don't want more blue+ as I think that will be too blue. Remember I'm running four blue plus, two actinic, two coral plus.
You could try one of the new Giesemann bulbs. I need tried them yet, so I'm not sure.
Grandis.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks or your words.
That PDF published by EcoTech isn't anything to be proud of at all.
That comparison isn't too fair, you know? LOL!
The comparison in this thread is more likely what it should be done.
There are many more good info in this forum by serious people, and other publications, to let us choose more accordingly.
I don't want to disturb this thread. I believe you should search more if you want to learn more. I've been learning a lot here.
I bet there are many more people here ROFL thinking of what you have said.
Grandis.

The results in the Coral Lab articles have been replicated many times over. And by those who's livelihood relies on growing coral.
It's pretty much known now that the spectrum in graphs like AB+ work well.
Working well for me so far, too.

Also, you are welcome to give your opinion on the topic at hand but let's watch the snarky attitude please.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just removed the 2 actinic bulbs and added blue plus. I like the look and the corals have responded well now. Some montis lightened up for a week but now color is back. Currently I'm running the Hamilton 20k halides and the 4 blue plus. You could also try removing one actinic and adding another blue plus with 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus as well. Sometimes it's hard to leave T5 combos alone :D

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results in the Coral Lab articles have been replicated many times over. And by those who's livelihood relies on growing coral.
It's pretty much known now that the spectrum in graphs like AB+ work well.
Working well for me so far, too.

Also, you are welcome to give your opinion on the topic at hand but let's watch the snarky attitude please.
I will second that. I used G4 pros for a while, and while the AB+ grows coral well, it's a bit too blue for my taste. But it grew the corals better than the previous settings I had used. Looking at my notes they edged out the kessils and AI slightly on growth, but tied with SBreef interestingly enough.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just removed the 2 actinic bulbs and added blue plus. I like the look and the corals have responded well now. Some montis lightened up for a week but now color is back. Currently I'm running the Hamilton 20k halides and the 4 blue plus. You could also try removing one actinic and adding another blue plus with 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus as well. Sometimes it's hard to leave T5 combos alone :D
At least bulbs are cheap lol.

Going to order more blue plus and purple plus to try combos.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 87 71.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back