"Kessil Logic"

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I am tired convincing a friend to leave his hydra 52 alone and improve his nutrients export instead.
Lighting complexity is reduced to one number and bonus, it comes with a smartphone app.

Water chemistry is messy, hard, has a dozen factors, and usually isn't defined by picking a team (Ecotech, Kessil, AI).

The percentage of people that have everything right in their tank and the next biggest win for them is getting the magic color sliders exactly right is tiny.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I am tired convincing a friend to leave his hydra 52 alone and improve his nutrients export instead.
(lol)
Guess your friend does not use the Donovan's "Water Chemistry - Logic"

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting complexity is reduced to one number and bonus, it comes with a smartphone app.

Water chemistry is messy, hard, has a dozen factors, and usually isn't defined by picking a team (Ecotech, Kessil, AI).

The percentage of people that have everything right in their tank and the next biggest win for them is getting the magic color sliders exactly right is tiny.

Exactly. I advised him to jump into T5 world and look after the water for better result.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here goes, I was going to post a thread about my ponderings on what "Kessil Logic" is, but I see that there are a few already so I will just place my conjectures here. I have been doing a lot of thinking as to what "Kessil Logic" actually does. I know they have an official definition containing lots of marketing speak that sounds good, but does not really say much in explaining on how it actually works. So here is how I think Kessil logic works, and is there really any logic to it?

I think it is pretty simple, a lot more simple than most would think. I expect that the UV channel is operated at 100% of the current intensity setting. The colour channel simply shifts the output between the white channel and the blue channel. The intensity setting controls the power level of the UV channel and white/blue channel share. My reasoning here is that the UV channel provides plenty of PUR, but is not particularly visible to the naked eye. So always allowing the UV to operate at 100% regardless of the colour being set, would provide a nice cushion against users picking bad spectrums. Also I am not suggesting that UV is set to operate with higher power than the blue or white channel, just independant of the blue/white channel. If they are depending on the UV channel to provide PUR even when the light is being operated mostly white, than that would also explain why Kessil has stated in the past that PAR meters do not provide an accurate reading of their lights as most meters do not see UV well (as Dana pointed out).

I am awaiting a hobbyist grade spectrum analyzer to arrive. Maybe I can put this theory to the test once it gets here.

Dennis

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a logical explanation. I can't comment if your correct or not because I'm not qualified. However you seem to have some knowledge of the subject and have an interest in finding out how this Kessil logic works. I would suggest you call the Kessil people and so how they respond to you reasoning. I have found the company to be very receptive to all my inquiries. And I would be very interested in their answer.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of evaluating a Kessil AP700. PAR drops some as the lamps become whiter, up to a point. Energy consumption is less than advertised (good, or bad, depending upon your point of view.) More, much, much more, when testing is complete. One other thing, this thing will melt egg crate if the luminaire rests directly upon it!

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of evaluating a Kessil AP700. PAR drops some as the lamps become whiter, up to a point. Energy consumption is less than advertised (good, or bad, depending upon your point of view.) More, much, much more, when testing is complete. One other thing, this thing will melt egg crate if the luminaire rests directly upon it!
A teaser of information. Can't wait to see the full report! And yea that power brick gets HOT

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point on the color wheel did you start to see a par drop?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point on the color wheel did you start to see a par drop?
Highest PAR was at the 'bluest plus 1' setting; the lowest at the whitest. The bluest setting has the most UV which at least some, of course, doesn't show up in a PAR measurement. I'll have a better idea of radiation if my ancient UV radiometer still works... This thought just added a half-day's work. ;Bookworm

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thoughts on it.. though possibly a bit more complicated.

Kessil logic has a cost. What I mean by that is the light is basically a 2 channel design
and if one want to maintain power going from ch1 full..to 50/50.. to ch 2 full that means that you are under-utilizing the lights "potential"..

In other words it will never run both channels at 100%.. Can't..
To make it a bit clearer think of this.. When you shift it to 100% ch 1 and ch 2 is off as you blend you have no choice but to go to decreasing output on one channel by increasing output on the other..(or duty cycle)

In other word both channels will never run at 100% together..
At a 50/50 blend each channel is running at 1/2 of its potential..To keep it at 100%..

Just find this interesting...Wonder if the cooling could handle both channels at 100%

Bottom line is in order to maintain "output" while changing spectrum one must increase current (or duty cycle) on some while decreasing current on others..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...brstv-investigates.314986/page-5#post-4048112

Can't see how it doesn't imply that all diodes can not be on "full power" at the same time.

In their defense it is somewhat like having a light that uses less constant current than the system could handle..
in a 'normal" 2 channel design to achieve Kessil Logic one would start w/ both at 50% and as you increase one, you decrease the other ..
until one is at 100% and the other is at 0%

"Technically" PAR shouldn't drop but would mean all chips produce the same output at the same current..Not likely but should be relatively close.

The POINT of Kessil logic.. Change color not output..

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back