Kevin's 90G Reef Ready Upgrade

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Like many, I've decided to post my upgrade from a 29G Biocube to a 90G RR tank. Picked up the tank used at the LFS. So far I've built a new stand in hopes to have a more custom build and look. Just have to finish up all the doors and eventually a hood.

I am converting the Durso return to the Herbie style. I picked up an Apex Cor20 pump, and I'm attempting to plumb the return with the 1 1/4" line as they recommend. I picked up the Eshopps R200 sump initially. If you purchase this sump beware: the design is nice; however, they stuck the tiny return pump chamber in the back middle portion. A Cor-20 will not fit with the 1 1/4" union attached (The Cor-15 is the same size). This makes accessing your pump for maintenance a pain. So I switched out for the Eshopps ADV200 (Mainly for the 30" size). This design is nice; however, the plumbing setup is proving to be a bit tricky. The corner overflow is the main reason I believe. A 30" sump is a great size for a 90G 48" tank while leaving some space in the stand. Could have gone DIY but wanted a more clean look. Not many other 30" sumps that would work that weren't custom and $$$.

I need to order some more plumbing parts and wrap up that portion of the build. I am still in the market for a skimmer (can't decided which one) as well.

I picked up some used Hydra 26 LED lights and plan to add T5s with them.

I grabbed a nice used MP40 also and will use it and my old MP10 for flow.

I only have the Apex Jr. for now and will see what I'll do in the future for a controller.

I have acid washed and bleached my rock, just have to scape it. I will turn to here for some feedback.

I plan to create a more SPS dominate tank with the livestock being workers vs. a fish wish list. I don't like getting fish plucked from the ocean then stick them in a tank that is too small for them to thrive.

So, I have some time and work/money to spend before things are running. I'll attempt to update and take better pictures as things progress. Thanks for any feedback and look forward to the build to be complete. I'm sure the Orlando Reefpalooza this year will inspire me to get it all finished!

Thanks!

untitled.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has plumbed a Eshopps advanced sump with a corner overflow tank, I'd enjoy seeing your plumbing set-up!

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is looking good. I'm digging the walls in that room too :D

What did you have to pay for the tank?

OP
OP
K

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is looking good. I'm digging the walls in that room too :D

What did you have to pay for the tank?

Yeah the walls in the basement were painted like that way back when I'm sure. I'll be putting it upstairs in the living room once I'm closer to getting water in it.

I think I paid around $250 for tank and stand. I kinda wish I held out for a 120G, but this upgrade will be fun.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry fit all the plumbing, nearly ready to bring it upstairs and glue it all in place. Just have to paint the white pvc grey. Looks like I’m getting pretty close to adding some water finally.

92D3C356-0F7D-45DE-BD3D-27537DD58E35.jpeg

A24491B8-1247-4B59-BFF1-A2B04234D094.jpeg

02AE9AAD-7EE1-4931-81EA-45AC8F673985.jpeg

C2A595A6-2510-43D1-9638-29689840FE5C.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back