KH Carer Review and Experience

thatslife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the COM port is for. Coralvue didn't know either. What do you use the COM port for?
Like external control. KHC is only able to dose after test.

- Test > Dose
- Cannot: auto divide amount of dosing as doser.

btw, maybe they will provide central device which can use that COM to monitor other parameters :D

thatslife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues and changed the KH buffer I was using to baked baking soda in DI. I was using baking soda in DI. I think the KH Carer has a slower reaction time with just baking soda. I also drop back from three times a day to 2 times a day for testing. Below is a chart of test from the KH Carer and the Hanna. I also put the KH Carer and the Hydros pH reading on the chart also. I don't expect those to match but they apper to drift away gradually since they were calibrated. Both probes are new so that might settle on the next calibration. I think I am going to like it better with the two readings a day. With three I was not able to plot them all since I was not at home for some and others I was not up so only the ones that also had a Hanna reading were plotted on the graph. But it seems to be a lot closer to each other with a longer time frame between test.

D2451E51-A041-4606-B6BF-6715FA0B587E.png
Have you check the dosing calculator wintin KHC app? There are 2 settings with KH Buffer. Frm Kamoer and Others.
If you use your own KH buffer, so you need to define inside the app and then input the exact liltre for your tank.
example I set 350L for tank, Others: 1ml/100L enhances 1dKH

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you check the dosing calculator wintin KHC app? There are 2 settings with KH Buffer. Frm Kamoer and Others.
If you use your own KH buffer, so you need to define inside the app and then input the exact liltre for your tank.
example I set 350L for tank, Others: 1ml/100L enhances 1dKH
Yes that has been done. I think it is close to where I want it. I also changed it when I switched to a different buffer. It seems to be closer to the Hanna all the time now that I went to every 12 hours for the testing. I did spread out the dispense more from every 30 minutes to every hour so it will take longer to dispense the calculated dose. It has not done a dose since I changed that though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like external control. KHC is only able to dose after test.

- Test > Dose
- Cannot: auto divide amount of dosing as doser.

btw, maybe they will provide central device which can use that COM to monitor other parameters :D
You can divide it to some extent. Mine is set to dose a max of 2.5 ml each dose once every hour but has a max dose of 12 ml per test. It calculates and spreads it out over several doses. Mine has been dosing around 10 ml a day but it is not evenly split between test. It usually doses most after the 8:00pm test. The 8:00am test does not usually dose that much but this morning it was 5.9 ml and last might it was 5.6 ml so it night be getting closer.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im using a trident but this is interesting. I with it had a bnc connector so it could send results to fusion…

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a trident but this is interesting. I with it had a bnc connector so it could send results to fusion…
The Hydros links to it but it is done via the web and not a direct connection. Here is a couple of graphs of the two Carer inputs the Hydros can import which is pH and DKH. Also it can do the KH buffer dosing itself also.

37412974-AD2D-4CF0-98F8-1D632C7A1BD2.png

maged88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread giving my experience with the new Kamoer KH Carer.

I have recently started using the Kamoer KH carer. Before I go into what I think of the unit I thought I should explain why I got one.

My tank is a RedSea 750XXL I set the tank up after moving to my new home 5 years ago Pic of my previous tank below sorry about the poor resolution.
Old Tank Shot.JPG

With my new tank I removed alot of the corals and tried to restart everything from frags. The SPS started to do well until I flew back with reefapalooza Chicago with some frags last year. I am not sure what happened but as soon as I put the new SPS frags in all of my SPS RTNd. It was like they brought in some kind of bacterial infection. I have been trying to rebuild the tank but everything has been RTNing. What compounded the issue was that as the SPS RTNd my Alk shot up from 9 to 12 and I think that made everything worse. I felt that if I had caught the problem sooner I could have reduced my dosing and I might not have lost all of the SPS but because I didn't the alk spike just made the RTN even worse.

I started testing with a Hanna Checker every daily to mitigate this problem but SPS have not been able to live in the tank since. I eventually slipped into testing every 3-5 days due to life. I became a new Dad 2 months ago and the daily testing is just not an achievable thing any moire. I started getting actual SPS growth about a month ago and then left on a hunting trip. When I came home I found the rug by the tank soggy. The glass redsea sump had cracked from top to bottom and water was dripping out. Amazingly only about 5-10 gallons of water was on the floor and the leak slipped right around where I had my leak sensors placed. The tank's salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.021 and my alk was again at 11.5 when it was at 8.5 before I left. All SPS died except for 1 Acro.

I learned a couple of things.

1. I need more leak sensors
2. I need some way of automating KH testing. My most successful tanks were when I worked at the LFS and I had hours next to the tank every day and I could pay attention to every detail. I dosed everything manually and tested everything manually but I can't do that now with where I am in life.

I picked up a KH Carer as a Christmas gift to myself. I chose the KH carer over the other automatic KH testers for a couple of reasons.

1. I wanted something that I could use stand-alone. I don't always use controllers and I use different controller ecosystems so I really didn't want something proprietary.
2. I wanted to be able to maintain the unit myself and the simple titration-based testing system that uses a pH probe and dosing pumps was something I could easily take care of myself.
3. I liked the affordability of the reagents and the fact that the reagent is not proprietary.
4. I prefer good hardware over good software. I will put up with a buggy app if it means stuff doesn't break. Since Kamoer makes the internals of some other testers and I have had good experiences with their dosing pumps I thought that the hardware in the Kamoer would be the best available.

I went to set up the unit this weekend. The instructions included are awful and make no sense, But once I opened the App and added the unit the app walks you through the initial setup. you need to calibrate the pH probe, the saltwater feed pump that adds tank water to the testing beaker, calibrate the KH dosing pump, and prime the reagent pump. I was surprised you don't calibrate the regent pump or the wastewater pump but I have since learned that the exact flow rate of the waste pump doesn't matter. It just needs to empty the beaker after the test. The reagent pump can be calibrated but there is more on that later. The pH probe comes with pH 7.0 and pH 9.89 solution but you can also use pH 4 and pH 7 which is good for maintenance.

I called CoralVue and they recommended testing with the unit 12 times per day for 1 day before doing the final calibration to let all of the pumps and tubing break in. The unit was 4 dKH higher than my Hanna Checker at this time. After the break-in, you can calibrate the reagent pump. The app lets you calibrate the regent pump traditionally or you can perform a test and then tell the app what the actual alk is. It then infers the correct reagent flow rate. I decided to calibrate to my Hanna Checker and this worked well for me. This morning Hanna read 8.1 and KH Carer read 8.15.

I realized after the fact that I needed dosing containers for the KH reagent and KH buffer. So I added them in yesterday. This messed up the calibration and I needed to recalibrate again. You can choose to have a third container for your waste or add the waste back to the tank. The reagent is sulfuric acid so it will lower the pH of the tank slightly if you add it back to the tank. I have been adding the waste to the tank and have not noticed any pH drop.

Right now I am just testing and not dosing. I don't plan on dosing with the unit for some time. Right now my alk demand is met with kalk and I want to keep using kalk until I can't and then I will add in alk solution with the KH Carer.

So far I like the unit. It seems any time you replace the reagent, alter the tubing length, or generally mess with the unit it will need to be recalibrated but recalibrating is simple and once it is dialed in I shouldn't need to touch it very often. I plan to mix up a large container of regent to avoid frequent recalibration.

The alkalinity seems consistent with my Hanna checker but the pH reading does not match my Apex. I recalibrated both probes with the same solutions last night and they still don't match. My Apex is reading 8.0 to 8.2 and the KH Carer is reading 7.6-7.8 and it only reads when it tests. I believe the little bit of leftover sulfuric acid on the probe and test beaker skews the results down.

Stay tuned for more updates.
Hi and many thanks for sharing your review, I got one too and failed to calibrated the reagent pump, it doesn't fill more than 3 ml and when inserting these actual number it give me error as this is not correct rand it should be at least 4 mo!
I tried many times, emptied all pumps and restart but I always get the same results .
Did you have any to help me with here? Thanks bro

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and many thanks for sharing your review, I got one too and failed to calibrated the reagent pump, it doesn't fill more than 3 ml and when inserting these actual number it give me error as this is not correct rand it should be at least 4 mo!
I tried many times, emptied all pumps and restart but I always get the same results .
Did you have any to help me with here? Thanks bro
When calibrating it will always fill around the same and you tell the app what that amount is. It always runs the exact same amount of time when calibrating. If you notice it also as a sensor that will sense the drops that are dispensed when doing a test.

maged88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When calibrating it will always fill around the same and you tell the app what that amount is. It always runs the exact same amount of time when calibrating. If you notice it also as a sensor that will sense the drops that are dispensed when doing a test.
True but the issue is it doesn't accept the reading, everytime the filling between 2.9mland 3.1ml ( marginal error) but whenever I'm adding this I receive an error that drops is between 14 and 17 ( as if the filled volume can not be right as it is too low) and what proof my assumption when I write 4 ml instead of the actual reading of 3.1 it accept and tell me calibration success

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but the issue is it doesn't accept the reading, everytime the filling between 2.9mland 3.1ml ( marginal error) but whenever I'm adding this I receive an error that drops is between 14 and 17 ( as if the filled volume can not be right as it is too low) and what proof my assumption when I write 4 ml instead of the actual reading of 3.1 it accept and tell me calibration success
Mine was 4.7 when I ran the cal and it took that. The first couple of times I had an issue getting all the reagent in that small 5ml beaker when running the calibration.

maged88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I tested using Hanna and entered the value for calibration, but I notecied that each test takes around an hour!
Is this the normal time for each test ?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I tested using Hanna and entered the value for calibration, but I notecied that each test takes around an hour!
Is this the normal time for each test ?
Mine is taking 30 minutes to test. It will depend on how may rinses and how high the reading is also.

OP
OP
MarineandReef Jaron

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done the traditional calibration for the reagent pump. I test with Hanna then do a manual kh carer test and calibrate to hanna.

maged88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done the traditional calibration for the reagent pump. I test with Hanna then do a manual kh carer test and calibrate to hanna.
Yes that's what I ended doing but my note now that it take 50 to 60 min to finish each test with only 1 rinse and my Alk is 8.3

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's what I ended doing but my note now that it take 50 to 60 min to finish each test with only 1 rinse and my Alk is 8.3
I do 2 rinses and my last test which started at 8:00 am was posted into Hydros at 8:30am so it had to take a little less than 30 minutes to complete.

21F6AC1D-240A-4827-BE21-6FAD123A82F6.png

OP
OP
MarineandReef Jaron

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not using hydros but I recalibrated my unit yesterday after mixing a new reagent batch and It definitely didn't take an hour maybe 30 minutes per test.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not using hydros but I recalibrated my unit yesterday after mixing a new reagent batch and It definitely didn't take an hour maybe 30 minutes per test.
I don't think the Hydros would change how long the test takes but it cannot get the data on the test till it completes and that on my Hydros is around 30 minutes after the test starts. I think the Hydros pulls the data from the Kamoer cloud and not directly from the KH Carer.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can anyone share how this "new" product is any better than the KH Guardian released in late 2016? I would buy one if it did anything new, used less reagent per test, or had onboard controls for when the app is no longer supported.

OP
OP
MarineandReef Jaron

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard for me to say how this is different from the KH guardian when I have never used one. When they KH guardian first came out I wanted to wait before embracing the new technology but now the KH guardian is basically gone in the US.

For me I think the advantages of the Kamoer over other testers are the following.

1. Compact form factor
  2. Cheap reagent
  3. Works stand alone
  4. Includes the alkalinity dosing pump
  5. Higher quality hardware
  6. Hydros integration
Disadvantages for me
  1. No BnC connection for broad controller compatibility
  2. No physical buttons
  3. More expensive upfront than the trident, but can work stand-alone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back