KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
in regards to the "bubble-problem" - it drives me crazy!
I have absolutely no chance to "produce" enough bubbles in my test setup to affect the KH measurement significantly -> So I need your help.
It seems some of you were able to solve this issue with changing the reagent tubes.
I would be happy to change the tube which is shipped with the KHD - if I knew for sure that it will really cure the problem.

Here is my question:
When you were able to solve the problem: Which tube did you use exactly (material, ID, OD)? Maybe a link to the product.
Thanks for helping us in this case.
I used ptfe tubing between pump and reagent bottle. I still some bubbles in the line occasionally, but haven't had a reading that really outta range in a couple weeks. I believe that warming the reagent did more for me than the tubing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RDFTDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob,

sorry, I didn't realize these questions were still open.
Are you planning to be able to measure and control Mg & Ca in addition to Alkalinity
Ca definetely yes, actually I have a Ca probe already running on my test P4. Ca will come this summer, latest @ Macna.
Mg - still not sure. Seems to be hard to get affordable AND reliable probes - still investigating.
But I am not convinced that a Mg measurement has so much benefit, I think Alk and Ca is much more important, Mg swings are usually not too high and from the Ca you can make assumptions about your Mg

Will GHL be releasing a fully cloud controlled system (GHL & KH Director)? I do not want to run Windows client software.
The device you are connected to is the "master" device in the system, like P3, P4 or GHL Doser. You are not directly connected to slave devices, like KHD.

So the master device determines your connectivity options.
All are fully controllable through cloud (myGHL) or the new app GHL connect.
These are the only limitations:
- firmware updates are made with GHL Control center
- initial WiFi/LAN update - exception: the initial WiFi settings of the P4 can be made over the P4 webinterface (if connected directly to P4, as access point)

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for your replies! I think we came the solution of our bubble issue much closer.

I think that the thicker Silicon tube will reduce the problem, but not completely cure it. The PTFE looks promising, but is too stiff in my opinion. I think the flexible PVC might be the best idea.

I am doing some tests with all materials and make sure that the material has no long-term problems with the reagent.
Please give me some more days, I will announce the final result ASAP.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob,

sorry, I didn't realize these questions were still open.

Ca definetely yes, actually I have a Ca probe already running on my test P4. Ca will come this summer, latest @ Macna.
Mg - still not sure. Seems to be hard to get affordable AND reliable probes - still investigating.
But I am not convinced that a Mg measurement has so much benefit, I think Alk and Ca is much more important, Mg swings are usually not too high and from the Ca you can make assumptions about your Mg

The device you are connected to is the "master" device in the system, like P3, P4 or GHL Doser. You are not directly connected to slave devices, like KHD.

So the master device determines your connectivity options.
All are fully controllable through cloud (myGHL) or the new app GHL connect.
These are the only limitations:
- firmware updates are made with GHL Control center
- initial WiFi/LAN update - exception: the initial WiFi settings of the P4 can be made over the P4 webinterface (if connected directly to P4, as access point)

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, Matthias. Will the Ca require another director, or will you be releasing a kH+Ca model?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the detailed replies, Matthias. Will the Ca require another director, or will you be releasing a kH+Ca model?

I'm not sure how they are going to package it, but I think the Ca probe is just a probe with bnc connection. I think they already have the neccessary "stuff" built into the current equipment. Hopefully Matthias will have a full answer, or we will hear soon enough!

Here's a picture of the p4 from their website, you can see where it says the bnc connections are prepared for further ion selective electrodes, calcium for example...

20180509_175357-1024x1673.png

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure how they are going to package it, but I think the Ca probe is just a probe with bnc connection. I think they already have the neccessary "stuff" built into the current equipment. Hopefully Matthias will have a full answer, or we will hear soon enough!

Here's a picture of the p4 from their website, you can see where it says the bnc connections are prepared for further ion selective electrodes, calcium for example...

20180509_175357-1024x1673.png

Yes, exactly.

When I designed the P4 (and the EXB2) I had also other probes in mind, the BNC ports are already prepared for Ca (and other ISE).

So yes, just a P4 firmware update is required, and a probe of course. No extra device.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for your replies! I think we came the solution of our bubble issue much closer.

I think that the thicker Silicon tube will reduce the problem, but not completely cure it. The PTFE looks promising, but is too stiff in my opinion. I think the flexible PVC might be the best idea.

I am doing some tests with all materials and make sure that the material has no long-term problems with the reagent.
Please give me some more days, I will announce the final result ASAP.

Great! This is all I’m waiting on to put in my order!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, exactly.

When I designed the P4 (and the EXB2) I had also other probes in mind, the BNC ports are already prepared for Ca (and other ISE).

So yes, just a P4 firmware update is required, and a probe of course. No extra device.

Hi Matthias, these are great news! I was holding on the KH Director because I wanted a system that would at least also test Cal so these are great news.

Also think a probe is a much better solution than dealing with reagents and dosing pumps so even better.

Agree that Mag would be a nice to have but not crucial as it does keep relatively stable.

Finally, if we are talking probes how about a Nitrate probe [emoji6]? I believe that this is very useful las it is one of those parameters that is usually stable until it isn’t, and suddenly shoots up without an apparent reason.

Kind regards?

(No annoucemebts at Interzoo...????)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an email today from GHL regarding the new tubing/reagent.

@Marco@GHLUSA
Is there any problem with storing unopened reagent? I assume not, but before I purchase the (3) 1L bottles package I want to make sure. It would take me ~6months to use that much.

Last edited:

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an email today from GHL regarding the new tubing/reagent.

@Marco@GHLUSA
Is there any problem with storing unopened reagent? I assume not, but before I make purchase the (3) 1L bottles package I want to make sure. It would take me ~6months to use that much.
no issue with storing reagent. Obviously don't store in garage or on the windowsill :p

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you assign your doser pump #?

From the System Click on the new Slave pump and assign the new doser pump numbers:
slave_Pump.png

Once you have done this you can go into the KH and configure the doser pump # you configured for the new slave doser within the KH Pump Configuration:
KH_Pumps2.png

Last edited:

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got It 1st test worked perfect

Couple questions

Flush is I think at 500ml is that standard?

Also temp can that be changed to F from the preset C

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheReefKeeper - whoohoo great!!

Yes the Temp can be easily changed from F from C,

Go into the Probe that Monitoring your Temperature and click on the drop down menu display: (Shown in the Right hand bottom Corner of the screen :))
Temp_C.png

I can not speak on the flush, I never thought about measuring it.

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only flushed the kh director 3 times I think. Twice when I first set it up and then once again when I recalibrated the ph probe. Figured if we are taking several measurements per day we should be good to go.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only flushed the kh director 3 times I think. Twice when I first set it up and then once again when I recalibrated the ph probe. Figured if we are taking several measurements per day we should be good to go.

@WWIII I meant sample volume lol my apologies

I have it doing control my alk was a tad high 9.1 it’s set to 8.4 so I expect it to not dose next time.

So if I’m dosing 2mil 20x a day and it keeps measuring high do I cut the dose in what I’m calling pump 1 the alk? And what am I looking for the number in the last column right now it’s -40 makes sense.

Oh and can you see a log chart if your recording measurements in the phone app I can’t find it or will it wait until I Have multiple tests done?

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back