KH Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a picture of someone who had the "volume change" % at 100%, even though it maxes out at 50% in GCC. I found out if I change it in MyGHL, I can set it to 100%.

Ahhh! Nice tip, ty, I will try it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There we go! I wonder if GHL knows this difference? With it being 100% only at 1 dkh difference I see no reason to run it at any less if the doses are spread out and small anyways? Thanks again!
20180427_224250.png

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these adaptive control mode settings look? Should calculated adjustment be set to 0%? I notice that one of you use -6% and the other -18% but since I don't understand what these values represent I'm a little perplexed.

Adaptive control mode.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these adaptive control mode settings look? Should calculated adjustment be set to 0%? I notice that one of you use -6% and the other -18% but since I don't understand what these values represent I'm a little perplexed.

Adaptive control mode.jpg

Looks good! The calculated value shows what the kh director calculates as the change percentage after each test. So your nominal value is 8.2, if the alk rises then the calculated value will be a negative percent, if the alk goes lower than the 8.2 it will be a positive percentage. So for example my nominal value is set at 8.3, but my alkalinity last tested at 8.5, so now the kh director calculated that it should dose 19% less for each dose until the next test takes place. Since I dose 6ml 24x per day it will only dose 4.8 ml until the next test, then it will recalculate based on that test what percentage to dose next.

In other words the kh director fills in that part based on the tests and our nominal value to let us know what it's doing.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! The calculated value shows what the kh director calculates as the change percentage after each test. So your nominal value is 8.2, if the alk rises then the calculated value will be a negative percent, if the alk goes lower than the 8.2 it will be a positive percentage. So for example my nominal value is set at 8.3, but my alkalinity last tested at 8.5, so now the kh director calculated that it should dose 19% less for each dose until the next test takes place. Since I dose 6ml 24x per day it will only dose 4.8 ml until the next test, then it will recalculate based on that test what percentage to dose next.

In other words the kh director fills in that part based on the tests and our nominal value to let us know what it's doing.

Ok, I'm starting to see what you mean. This morning dKH measured 8.5 and the Calculated adjustment value changed to -14%. What I didn't realize last night was that the calculated value field is a read only field! I was initially thinking that this was a field that I had to enter a value for. I'm still learning.

Last edited:

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco mentioned that the dKH dosing program doesn't need to do all of the dosing of Sodium Bicarbonate solution. He said I can keep dosing the Sodium Bicarbonate solution at a scheduled rate (say, 80% of demand) and then let the KH Director add just a little extra Sodium Bicarbonate solution as needed. This is how I have mine configured now.

Is this how you have yours configured or are you letting the KH Director do 100% of the Sodium Bicarbonate dosing?

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco mentioned that the dKH dosing program doesn't need to do all of the dosing of Sodium Bicarbonate solution. He said I can keep dosing the Sodium Bicarbonate solution at a scheduled rate (say, 80% of demand) and then let the KH Director add just a little extra Sodium Bicarbonate solution as needed. This is how I have mine configured now.

Is this how you have yours configured or are you letting the KH Director do 100% of the Sodium Bicarbonate dosing?

I have mine configured like Marco suggests. I was dosing 6ml 24x per day before I added the kh director, so I just left that as is. Then just let the kh director adjust those individual doses as needed.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWIII, Do you happen to know what the correct syntax is to receive an email that shows the dKH reading?

For example, I am using this syntax for email notification now:
$$REPS[32][0]$$ $$SENN[x]$$ : $$SENV[x]$$
$$REPE$$
$$REPS[10][5]$$
$$ALMS[x]$$
$$REPE$$

and I receive an email that shows:
Temperature 1 : 78.5F
pH-value 1 : 8.02pH
Redox 1 : 215mV
Conduct.(S) 1 : 49.1mS

I don't see in the KH Director pdf file what the supported syntax values are.

Thanks

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWIII, Do you happen to know what the correct syntax is to receive an email that shows the dKH reading?

For example, I am using this syntax for email notification now:
$$REPS[32][0]$$ $$SENN[x]$$ : $$SENV[x]$$
$$REPE$$
$$REPS[10][5]$$
$$ALMS[x]$$
$$REPE$$

and I receive an email that shows:
Temperature 1 : 78.5F
pH-value 1 : 8.02pH
Redox 1 : 215mV
Conduct.(S) 1 : 49.1mS

I don't see in the KH Director pdf file what the supported syntax values are.

Thanks

I'm not sure? I know when it is out of range it alerts kh director, but not sure for the value? Maybe @Ditto or @Marco@GHLUSA know if this is possible currently, what the entry would be.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only able to get it while using the following which is only when it actually errors:

$$REPS[10][5]$$
$$ALMS[x]$$
$$REPE$$

Alas, not the probe value, and I have tried hehe. Maybe @Marco@GHLUSA or @Vinny@GHLUSA can tell us if it coming in the next update?

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only able to get it while using the following which is only when it actually errors:

$$REPS[10][5]$$
$$ALMS[x]$$
$$REPE$$

Alas, not the probe value, and I have tried hehe. Maybe @Marco@GHLUSA or @Vinny@GHLUSA can tell us if it coming in the next update?

I see what you mean. In an alarm state, I get an email that includes "Alarm: KHD", but not the actual dKH value that caused the alarm.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dogtown - Yes I use this code all the time so I know what the alarm is, it would be great if it could include the value.

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
in regards to the "bubble-problem" - it drives me crazy!
I have absolutely no chance to "produce" enough bubbles in my test setup to affect the KH measurement significantly -> So I need your help.
It seems some of you were able to solve this issue with changing the reagent tubes.
I would be happy to change the tube which is shipped with the KHD - if I knew for sure that it will really cure the problem.

Here is my question:
When you were able to solve the problem: Which tube did you use exactly (material, ID, OD)? Maybe a link to the product.
Thanks for helping us in this case.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to 1/4" × 1/8" silicone tubing. I didn't really notice the bubbles causing any issues with readings per se, but did see a couple small bubbles on occasion. I also liked that the tubing id was smaller since I'm pulling the water sample almost 8 ft. It took my water sample hose volume down from around 30 ml to 21 ml, which makes the doser work less.

Since I've been using the smaller id tubing I've not seen any bubbles. Here is the hose I purchased...

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Tub...op?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_pd_title

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video that shows the tubing that I'm using. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have absolutely no chance to "produce" enough bubbles in my test setup to affect the KH measurement significantly -> So I need your help.
It seems some of you were able to solve this issue with changing the reagent tubes.
I would be happy to change the tube which is shipped with the KHD - if I knew for sure that it will really cure the problem.

Here is my question:
When you were able to solve the problem: Which tube did you use exactly (material, ID, OD)? Maybe a link to the product.
Hi Matthias, I found switching to a thicker wall silicon tube reduced them, also increasing the number of tests per day reduces there impact, if I did 1 test/day I’d have a large bubble which would reduce reading by about 1dkh, in a day or 2, if I ran at 6 tests/ day it would take 7-10 days for a bubble large enough to affect the reading by a similar amount. Just out of interest what is the ambient temperature of the cabinet your reagent sits in? I’m wondering if the 23c of my cabinet could be affecting the reagent liquid in some way so these bubbles form. Be interesting to see others thoughts on this.
Ive bought some of this tubing to test when I get back up running.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-F...var=492204028940&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Here is my question:

Hey Matthias,

Here's a link to the tubing that solved my issue. I can with 99% confidence say that switching tubing resolved my issue. I wasn't experiencing tiny little bubbles everywhere, instead I was experiencing this massive half inch air gap that would form in my tube everyday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6BCV0G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matthias,

Here's a link to the tubing that solved my issue. I can with 99% confidence say that switching tubing resolved my issue. I wasn't experiencing tiny little bubbles everywhere, instead I was experiencing this massive half inch air gap that would form in my tube everyday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6BCV0G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That ATP Vinyl-Flex PVC food grade plastic tubing you referenced looks exactly like what worked here.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Marco@GHLUSA

I'm interested in looking more closely at the KH Director, but I have a couple of questions. Could you please provide some direction on the below please? (Commitments not need, but roadmap would be great!)

i) Will GHL be releasing a fully cloud controlled system (GHL & KH Director)? I do not want to run Windows client software.

ii) Are you planning to add Ca and Mg monitoring/Adjustment to the KH Director's capabilities?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hi Marco & GHL Team,

I'm thinking about which way to go on my next (large) tank and wanted to understand a little more on the roadmap for the KH Director.

Are you planning to be able to measure and control Mg & Ca in addition to Alkalinity and if so, what timescale are you working to? (no commitment, just your intent).

Many thanks

Rob

@Matthias Gross @Marco@GHLUSA

I've asked a couple of times now, but haven't seen a response to my question. Before I go down a different solution, could you please reply to the above?

Many thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back