kHD installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p

So I got the khd installed. The videos are pretty straight forward. Just time consuming. But we got it done. My tests are consistent. I did 3 in a row. I'm getting 7.7khd back to back. My Hanna checker is coming in at 7.9. So it's off. Well not sure which is off but I'd say it's close enough right?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pushing for a 7.5 on the tank. So I'll stop dosing until khd shows 7.5 or 7.4. And then test Hanna over course of a few days. And see how it goes. I got the email and text notifications going too. Pretty darn cool

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be setting mine up this week. Any tips or tricks?
Have the manual open and there are 3 videos to watch while you’re setting it up. And an optional 4th video to help you set up automatic dosing If you want to use that ability.

Optional

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p

So I got the khd installed. The videos are pretty straight forward. Just time consuming. But we got it done. My tests are consistent. I did 3 in a row. I'm getting 7.7khd back to back. My Hanna checker is coming in at 7.9. So it's off. Well not sure which is off but I'd say it's close enough right?

Yup. I picked up a reference solution and the Hanna showed higher, but the khd was spot on.

I’ll be setting mine up this week. Any tips or tricks?

Make sure you tighten the ph probe more than hand tight, but not bolt breaking if that makes sense. The other tip is that the accuracy is tied to measured length of the intake line. After you measure, you can verify it by filling the intake line, remove the intake from the water, and empty the contents into a graduated cylinder.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been dosing since my khd is very little intake but my khd director is testing at 8.1 and Hanna dropped to 7.8. Going to let it go to see if director drops over a day or 2. Or maybe it's stuck at the 8.1 reading over and over?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran 3 back to back tests. All coming back 8.1 while my Hanna is 7.8
You might want to calibrate the pH probe again. If what I have read is true the Dkh value is very dependent on the pH probes accuracy.
It’s not uncommon for a new pH probe to change readings after the first calibration due to the break in period of the probe.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. I'll do it this weekend. I have a 5ml .1 increment grad cylinder to better calibrate all pumps. Just moved my intake tube to different part of sump where the water comes down from tank. See if that changes it and running new test now

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gonna calibrate the pH probe again. It's back up to 8.3dkh and I haven't even dosed. 6pm last night it went down to 7.9. I have a feeling Hanna is more accurate and will be at like 7.5 to 7.7 this morning.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the KHD a couple days and tests to settle-in.
What you're looking for is back-to-back testing consistency within the acceptable tolerance of +/- 0.2.

If results are wildly fluctuating (8.0, 4, 10, etc.), then you know the probe should be calibrated. A quick way to test would be to put the probe in the 4 and 7 calibration fluids and see what results you get out of it. If it shows within the acceptable tolerance, probe calibration is not necessary. In that case, check for air bubbles or a contaminated water sample.

Another important thing worth noting...conventional test kits and the KHD do not use the same testing protocol. With kits like Hanna, you have more factors to consider than what you'd get from the KHD. To name a few, the test result from a Hanna checker can be skewed by fingerprints, dust particles around vial or inside the sample, actual size of the water sample added, age of reagent powder, how well vial was mixed...etc. A KHD does not have to consider these kind of variables because it does not follow the same testing procedures.

KH levels can swing for several reasons, not just coral. Even on a bacterial level, KH results can be changed day-to-day.

If need be, a bottle of reference fluid will help fine-tune the KHD with it's adjustment feature.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recalibrated the probe. I redid the 3 pumps 2 times. Water sample line was 37.5ml on fast. And reagent on 0 was 5.1ml. And waste on fast was 37.9ml. Ran a test now it's 8.1. So I got it to drop slightly. I'm currently running another one. Now

I haven't dosed any 2 part. My Hanna is slowly dropping. While last night the kh was raising. 7.8 to 8.0 to 8.1. To 8.3. As Hanna stayed 7.7 to 7.8

I'll give it a few days of running to see what it does. But I want it to be 7.5

Back to back tests 8.1 for kh. Hanna still 7.7 gonna let it go a week and see what happens. Not dosing any ALK we'll see if it climbs. It should drop as it gets settled in.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my KH and Hanna never have matched. As long as they test consistently that's what matters to me. So if I am shooting for a DKH of 8 and my Hanna reads 7.8 and my KH D reads 8.2 I'm happy. Hope that makes sense.

I will say that It took a few tries in my sump to find a spot that would deliver accurate and consistent results. For my Sump I have the intake line at the base of the skimmer section and it's weighed down without pinching the line. No air bubbles or excessive flow to throw off the readings.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tests in a row. 8.1. But I don't think my alk is 8. I think it's lower like 7.5 to 7.7.....
Just out of curiosity are you using the line on the Hanna Vial or measuring the 5ml with a syringe? When people said to me the line was always off I had no idea how bad it was until I used a proper syringe. I think the 5ml of syringe SW was a full 2-3mm over the line.

Back