Kids suck! Tooth paste ahhhh!!!

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ya, after dinner looked in the tank and thought, my, that is a mighty big white turd, and another one.. okay thats not what i think it is... reach into the tank and low and behold ita toothpaste!! My 4 yr old decided my fish need healthy teeth and masisve gobs from multiple tubes of tooth paste where everywhere.
Needless to say scrammble mode ensued, all the rock out, good 50% water change, really good cleaning and stirring of the crushed corral. New charcoal and two packs of purrigen in the cannister filter. Bright side to all this, shouldnt have to clean my tank now for a couple weeks lol.
But everything back in place, resculpted the live rock, fish appear happy, guess ill know in the morning. But ya, was not a cool experience, espically considering im brand new to this, had tank less than 3 weeks and fish less than 4 days. So pretty sure ive done everything i can possible can to ensure they be okay.
But ya, kids suck, they sure get some wild ideas in their head!! ;Dead;Inpain

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've done pretty much everything you can, might not be a bad idea to make up some more RODI or some saltwater just to have on hand in case things start going south, are there any corals in the tank? keep us updated!

On a more serious note if any of your fish get a cavity thats going to be 100% on you.

Smorgishborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ill be sure to add some dental floss to the tank!

But no corals, just 2 fish and a shrimp at this point. But ya, ill update in the morning wether or not they are sunning their bellies. Fingers crossed :)
Luckily it isn’t stocked up too much! I feel like it’ll be fine but keep us updated. Kids do the craziest things ;Facepalm

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the toothpaste was H2O2 based it might help with any algae issues. Hmmm... ;Hilarious
Lol. True. Fluoride actually reacts with calcium. I guess it’ll help build enamel on corals. We need a BRS investigates. At first dosing vodka sounded strange to me. But if we all end up dosing Colgate, I might leave this hobby ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Goose91

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reminding mine I can legally change his name to anything I'd like until he's 18.
Lol ill have to remember these for the future!
But ya this mornin both the coral beauty and shrimp still appear to be happy, waters still a little cloudy, but hopefully thatll settle out sooner than later.
I am a dentist, and have to applaud what a great job you did instilling the value of oral hygiene to your child (silver lining). Hope everything makes it through.
Well at times like this, you almost wish just telling apples were the key to clean health. Do fish like apples?
Anyways think things are on the up and up and the fish should be cavity and gingivitis free!

20190626_064445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbare89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the toothpaste wasn't the kind with bleach in it. Otherwise, I think you made the right moves.

OP
OP
Goose91

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, oreos, diapers, and toothpaste, and recently read a post of someones nephew peeing in the sump!
Think we needa come up with some kind of automated kid trap thatll plug and play with our fish controller gear.
Hopefully the toothpaste wasn't the kind with bleach in it. Otherwise, I think you made the right moves.
Nope, no bleach, just the normal stuff, so should all be fine!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphates could be an issue which might cause some algae problems. I'd test for them and see where you're at.
You can always run some GFO to clean them out.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And congrats on the name change... was the party epic or what?
Well I didn’t change my name, some of my fellow mods think they’re funny. I’ll get them back. :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back