Kigs' System 70 v.2.0

pech29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are really cool to watch. A store by me had some awhile back, now I wish I could have gotten them.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple people in my local reef club have garden eel tanks. I'll ask where they got them from and let you guys know.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't stand the monotony while waiting for the eels so I added 10 Apogon leptacanthus to the tank tonight. It should add some movements in the mid / top water columns.

L1.jpg

I also finished tweaking my growout tank tonight. I was able to get a great deal for the tank + lights from Cherrycorals at a recent local swap event. (Thanks again Todd & Brett!) I'll have to play around with eggcrate leveling and few other technical details, but for now, it'll do. Please excuse the detritus on the bottom...they will be dealt with in due time. :bigsmile:

3/4'' bottom 1/2'' top acrylic 2'' eurobraced
48'' x 24'' x 8''
Tek 6 x T5s
Vortech MP40W

K5.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks Kev!
Jr - haha yea, only thing missing is their banner hanging from the top!

I added some anchovies to the tank tonight. :)

NA2.jpg

NA1.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh - one of them died within five minutes in the tank.
dry.gif
I knew people told me to expect 90% mortality rate with these apogons, but come on...

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish you have pictured that you called anchovies are red tail cardinal fish. I've never heard of them being called anchovies but i do know their common name is the red tail or red spot glass cardinal. They are very poor shippers and get ick very easily. Several of us in the area have tried keeping these and they just aren't hardy. We searched the net a bunch of times to see if could find any info on them. All we could find is they are found to shoal in very heavy currents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I know...poor attempt at a joke I guess. I've been actually researching about them since last year or so, trying to get my hands on a school.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email from the garden eel vendor that he'll be getting them in about two weeks. As I was walking past the tank feeling anxious and impatient at the same, something amazing caught my eyes and ended up captivating me for the next half an hour or so.

When I ordered my A. parvulus from LA's DD, I also ordered these two inverts; Venus Anemone Shrimp and Yellow Line Cleaner Shrimp.

lg_1119081-371.jpg

lg_1205081-335.jpg

As soon as the shrimps were added to the tank, they proceeded to camouflage themselves within the heads of my duncan coral throughout the day. All I could see were their whiskers and I thought to myself, 'Huh. What a waste of money. I can't even see them!"

But as the daylights went out and actinics turned on, I saw my Borbonius actually "parking" himself near the duncan coral begging the shrimps to clean him! And as the wrasse and apogons got closer to see if they could nip at the shrimps, the borbonius would furiously charge after them creating a 6'' radius of his own personal cleaning station space. :lol: He kept going back and forth from one cleaner to another, "trying" them out.

I ran for the camera and I was literally on the floor hiding from the anthias, snapping away at these shots. (He equates my face with food so I had to hide...) The shots are not too clear and I'm still getting used to photographing such small inverts but man... it was just so cool to witness it. I've seen skunk cleaners do it few times but only to bigger fish.

I took a lot of pics but these are the only decent ones.

Clean me!
4M1.jpg

4M2.jpg

4M3.jpg

4M4.jpg

4m5.jpg

Again!
3M11.jpg

3M2.jpg

3M3.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3M4.jpg

3M51.jpg

Come back!
3M6.jpg

Anthias: More! More!
Shrimp: OMG...
2M1.jpg

2M2.jpg

lol shrimp is actually running away at this point...
2M3.jpg

2M4.jpg

2m5.jpg

2M6.jpg

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some better shots of the yellow cleaner.
M1a.jpg

M1b.jpg

For some reason, the venus anemone shrimp was more excited to clean the anthias than the cleaner shrimp. Figures... :lol:
Ym4.jpg

Ym2.jpg

YM3.jpg

Some more apogon pics.
M1.jpg

M2.jpg

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the shrimp.

Almost bought those as well, I was looking at them a day or two ago.

Im just worried with 8 larger wrasses, i was a little nervous.

almost bought a couple sexy shrimp last night, but picked up a couple algae bennies instead.

Needed a little cleanup crew that doesnt get eaten.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Vince. There is no way I could get away with those shrimp with my likings of wrasses.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was over Vince's house yesterday and saw the tank for the first time since we moved it last weekend, I must say I was really blown away. The aquascaping and new livestock really, really looked awesome. The Apogon are truly a spectacular schooling fish, amazing colorations and the shrimp were just loving the large duncan colony. The aquascaping looks marvelous, Vince just randomly placed the LR back into the tank last weekend in a blind sandstorm and essentially it came out looking like a million dollars, talk about luck. The rework of his tank has turned out to be a HR, it really looks sharp, there is such a nice balance, total Fung Shui :) I am so jealous! keep up the good work Bro!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back