Killing off pulsating Xenia

Ronn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can everyone please help me on ideas on how to kill off/get rid of Xenia. Starting to take over my tank and interfere with my other more important coral. Any chemical or fish that would eat it. Thanks.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aptaisia-x. It works but I always do it little by little and run carbon just in case.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change the other day and it wiped out a few patches and a colony of xenia and no other corals showed any signs of stress. Still not a clue what I did or how it happened but I got rid of the beast...

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Xeinas are better then protein skimmers at pulling out unwanted nutrients imo. Well worth the hassles of keeping it in check! Again imo!

Very good point S&P, I originally started a colony to help export PO4. Xeina are sort of like an algae scrubber but in your display looking cool....

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your secret in growing it, I cant get it to grow it just stays the same size or just shrinks and disappears.

I dose iodide every other day (make sure you test your iodine lvl first) and dose vitamin c daily! Also I keep my ph at 8.1 in my softie tank. everything grows like weeds but I am no expert that's just what works for me!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it on a "rock island" it will stay there. As mentioned a really good source for pulling nutrients out of a tank.

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pulsing grows like mad I just take a credit card and scrape at the rock and pull it off. Kinda easy.

OP
OP
Ronn

Ronn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Appreciate all the responses. I have been using tweezers but is a long tedious job. Also when doing water changes I try and Siphon them out which works well with the small ones. Pain in the a** though.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is on a rock you can pull out of the tank. Take it out, pull off as many as you can and hit the area with a blow torch. I know that is what I do with Kenya tree "branches" I dont get out in time and they take hold on a rock.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it on a "rock island" it will stay there.

This is definitely NOT my experience. My softball sized island is fully covered (started with a small frag), and heads have been jettisoning from the island and floating around until they find another place to grow. I scoop them out when I see them, but most go unnoticed. I now have xenia growing in about 6 or 7 places. Eventually I am going to have to deal with it....

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-Aiptasia,

Cleared Aiptasia out of my tank and cleared a rock of GSP I had without damaging the rock or my system.

I recommend it for any coral you try to get rid of without permanently damaging your rock and for pests as well.

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just be sure to keep that xenia in check --- it will start sprouting up all over and take over the rock

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back