Lots of information in this thread. Let me answer some questions I noted:
Mine is 1200mw (milliwatt) so 1.2 watts. A 2000mw or 3000mw laser would be far better. My tank is a 400g tank with 3/4" thick glass, my anemone cube is 3/8" thick glass. I've also used it through 3/8" thick acrylic. You will not burn a hole through your tank. Reflections of the beam can come back to bite your hand or shirt, so be aware of those whenever possible.
I recommend doing this alone. Don't have family members in the room or pets, since they likely will not have eye protection. Will the fish be harmed? I've never shot a fish in the eye, and typically they avoided the area of crackling bacon sounds. If one swam closely, I turned off the laser for a few seconds, then resumed.
The laser will get hot. So if you are hoping to have a 5-10 minute session zapping pest anemones, that's probably not going to work out. I'd suggest running the laser about 60-90 seconds, then let it cool down for a few minutes before resuming.
I paid $225 for mine back when I filmed this video, and they have come way down. Thanks to the links posted in this thread, I'm going to order a new one tonight. I just have to decide if I want 2w, 5w or 10watts! LOL :)
EDIT: Okay, decided to get the 5 watt version. It'll be a while before it gets here. The price is so much better than my first one. Hoping for the best.
![]()
In the image I can see that it is 5mw, so my question is how do you get 5w? Sorry if this question is stupid :) Just want to find out if 5mw and 445nm laser is good enough to kill aiptasia :)