Kinda an emergency… got stung by something in my tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on sunday I was moving some rocks and corals around in both tanks. I have 3 distinct marks on my hand from being stung by something… foxface in one tank and my lionfish in the other. Been stung by foxface and that just hurts so I dont think its him. Never been stung by my lionfish.

Basically what I have is such INTENSE itching that it feels bone deep and its really unbearable! Pulled a tiny (spike maybe?) out of one of the sting sites yesterday. But this itching is OUT OF CONTROL. Also found a fireworm (didnt touch it) sunday, but where theres one theres more. Searched all over the internet and cant find anything describing what I have.

Figured I would ask people here if they had any ideas before calling the doctor… so not my year with medical crap apparently.

@lion king tagging you because you have lions and most likely have been stung by them.

Thanks guys

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling poison control is a good idea.

Depending on what you got stung by, running the area under hot water (borderlining on scalding) for a long time is generally a good idea.

Edit: reread the timeframe - yeah, I'd call your doctor and see what they say.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bristle worm. You may have brushed up against one when moving your rocks around.
This was my thought also. Bristle worms love hiding under and in rocks. It would be very easy to grab or brush up against one and not realize it moving around rocks.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish sting you would have known it when it happened, throbbing pain not itching. There can be toxins in our tanks that may effect one person and not another, the itching sounds more like an allergic reaction. The risk of anaphylaxis usually happens pretty close to the incident. For me, it would just be something I would ride out. Along with critters that may sting like worms of sort, some are also sensitive to corals like palys, and stinging corals.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a benadryl or some other antihistamine and use an antihistamine cream or ointment on the affected area. Hot water as mentioned often helps but since it's been a day, probably too late. The heat breaks down the poison. I know this from being stung by a stingray.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it the venoms from fish fins are all very similar. Some are more toxic than other and some inject more venom but they should feel similar as @lion king described and are affected by hot water as others described. Those fish include stingrays, lionfish, rabbit fish, catfish, stonefish, etc.
What I suspect is you got some venom containing spines broken off in your hand from a worm and the irritation from the spines and the venoms are causing the issues. You may also have a slight allergy.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would really be worried about this far after the occurrence would be a bacterial infection. Is there any type of discoloration?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would really be worried about this far after the occurrence would be a bacterial infection. Is there any type of discoloration?
Yes, mg hand is swollen and goes red when the itching intensifies

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it the venoms from fish fins are all very similar. Some are more toxic than other and some inject more venom but they should feel similar as @lion king described and are affected by hot water as others described. Those fish include stingrays, lionfish, rabbit fish, catfish, stonefish, etc.
What I suspect is you got some venom containing spines broken off in your hand from a worm and the irritation from the spines and the venoms are causing the issues. You may also have a slight allergy.
Yes I think so as well, and Im thinking fireworm, punctures are small and the needle things are clear I pulled out. Probably grabbed one of those fiteworms. The needle I pulled from one of them (theres 4 and some I can feel something in them but cant see it to pull it out) looks like that worm I posted the other day and what Mel (my melenarus wrasse) had in his mouth

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a benadryl or some other antihistamine and use an antihistamine cream or ointment on the affected area. Hot water as mentioned often helps but since it's been a day, probably too late. The heat breaks down the poison. I know this from being stung by a stingray.
I took benadryl last night, not sure if it helped cause that usually knocks me out. Tried some zertec this morning and seems to help a little but keeps coming back!

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is you touched a bristle worm just had it happen to me last weekend the itching from that sucks. Use a topical benadryl to help with the itch and keep the location as clean as possible. It will clear up in a day or two.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if this is ongoing since SUN, go see doctor !!
Yes I think I will need to call them… I have a lot of medical bills already from my emergency surgery a month and a half ago so I dont want to add to that but if I have to go I guess I have to :(

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is you touched a bristle worm just had it happen to me last weekend the itching from that sucks. Use a topical benadryl to help with the itch and keep the location as clean as possible. It will clear up in a day or two.
Im thinking fireworm actually, as I have a lot if those popping up in one of my tanks. My wrasse eats the bristle worms no problem but he got stung by a fireworm a couple days ago and I found a big one sunday. This sucks a lot!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thought are zoas or palys. Do you have either in your tank. All it takes is a brush up or touching them....I know first hand. Not only red welts, but also felt sickly for a day or two.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is a bristle or fireworm, especially with the mention of clear like needles. Something that may help (at least it’s helped me before) if you can still feel them in there is taking a piece of tape and using the tape to pull the bristles out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back