Kinda an emergency… got stung by something in my tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do an epsom salt or vinegar soak to help draw out any needles that could have left behind. While each individual is different, these things are rarely serious, except as I mentioned earlier, in the case of anaphylaxis. If you do a soak and kept it clean, chances of infection should be very rare.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have both
The other thought are zoas or palys. Do you have either in your tank. All it takes is a brush up or touching them....I know first hand. Not only red welts, but also felt sickly for a day or two.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what those are, let me research real quick
Yes I do think I might have some of these looking at pictures. Just thought they were algae or aptasia, its in a spot thats harder to see anyway

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So on sunday I was moving some rocks and corals around in both tanks. I have 3 distinct marks on my hand from being stung by something… foxface in one tank and my lionfish in the other. Been stung by foxface and that just hurts so I dont think its him. Never been stung by my lionfish.

Basically what I have is such INTENSE itching that it feels bone deep and its really unbearable! Pulled a tiny (spike maybe?) out of one of the sting sites yesterday. But this itching is OUT OF CONTROL. Also found a fireworm (didnt touch it) sunday, but where theres one theres more. Searched all over the internet and cant find anything describing what I have.

Figured I would ask people here if they had any ideas before calling the doctor… so not my year with medical crap apparently.

@lion king tagging you because you have lions and most likely have been stung by them.

Thanks guys
The itching is from the bristle fibers. Poison control may or may not have a remedy as the venom is not poisonous. Running fingers under hot water as hot as you can tolerate, then ice it. Using a magnifier and tweezers, you may be able to see and pull some of the bristles which are actually fibers. Some signs from this venom are pain, burning sensation, swelling, redness and throbbing and even rash.
Lastly, mix a paste consisting of meat tenderizer and rubbing alcohol and apply to red area and they apply hydrocortisone. It works.
benadryl may not do much as you wont have an allergic reaction from these fibers.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The itching is from the bristle fibers. Poison control may or may not have a remedy as the venom is not posonous. Running fingers under hot water as hot as you can tolerate, then ice it. Using a magnifier and tweezers, you may be able to see and pull some of the bristles which are actually fibers. Some signs from this venom are pain, burning sensation, swelling, redness and throbbing and even rash.
Lastly, mix a paste consisting of meat tenderizer and rubbing alcohol and apply to red area and they apply hydrocortisone. It works.
Or... go to an actual doctor!
Lol!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pee on your hand. what’s your BP? Any urchins? There’s a few that would do that like the fire urchin and another. Both pretty. Zoas affect your heart too.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Always amazes me how many people come to R2R for medical advice!
Its few but some of us here are medical certified and I am retired Trauma nurse

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"medical certified"... is that a real thing? lol!
I would think this would refer to anyone having been certified in a medical field to include all types of licensed medical professionals... i.e. doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc

Last edited:

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The itching is from the bristle fibers. Poison control may or may not have a remedy as the venom is not poisonous. Running fingers under hot water as hot as you can tolerate, then ice it. Using a magnifier and tweezers, you may be able to see and pull some of the bristles which are actually fibers. Some signs from this venom are pain, burning sensation, swelling, redness and throbbing and even rash.
benadryl may not do much as you wont have an allergic reaction from these fibers.
impressed GIF

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always amazes me how many people come to R2R for medical advice!
Lol I more was hoping someone could help me ID what it most likely was based on what I have going on so I can tell the doctor what most likely got me! Cause if you just say youre itching and have a tank they will look at you like youre an idiot, at least my doctor would!

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on sunday I was moving some rocks and corals around in both tanks. I have 3 distinct marks on my hand from being stung by something… foxface in one tank and my lionfish in the other. Been stung by foxface and that just hurts so I dont think its him. Never been stung by my lionfish.

Basically what I have is such INTENSE itching that it feels bone deep and its really unbearable! Pulled a tiny (spike maybe?) out of one of the sting sites yesterday. But this itching is OUT OF CONTROL. Also found a fireworm (didnt touch it) sunday, but where theres one theres more. Searched all over the internet and cant find anything describing what I have.

Figured I would ask people here if they had any ideas before calling the doctor… so not my year with medical crap apparently.

@lion king tagging you because you have lions and most likely have been stung by them.

Thanks guys
If you would get stung by a lionfish, you would want to cut off your arm.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... go to an actual doctor!
Lol!
Yeah so I have a thing about doctors, they let me just suffer from gallbladder pain and basically were okay with me not being able to eat anything for two weeks besides broth so Im very skeptical of doctors, they just collect money and basically say I dont know its fine and send you on your way! Meanwhile my gall bladder was so bad it was spazing and tearing itself up and fused to my liver with scar tissue!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you would get stung by a lionfish, you would want to cut off your arm.
Well I do want to cut my had off as this itching is DRIVING ME NUTS but based on looking at the lionfish sting its for sure not that painful just more deep bone feeling itch!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Im currently looking for stuff to make that thing you recommend then will look at it with a magnifying glass now that Im home!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back