Klir 4 Fleece Roller (beeping)

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folk,

I opened a ticket with CoralView for this issue, twice. I have yet to receive a response so I thought I'd return to R2R to see if there are any additional suggestions for me to try.

I don't want to make any assumptions. However, based on the contents of similar posts, I am guessing I know what the issue is.

Below is what I submitted to CoralView Support:
2x Klir Di-4 Malfunction

I have two Klir automatic filters that are no longer working.

Symptom(s):
* Rollers do not advance.
* Water level rising causes unit to beep.

Notes:
* On one unit (unit1.master), the roll was depleted.
* On the second unit (unit2.slave), the roll was at about 20% unused.
* It took several weeks for me to receive Y cable to configure units into master, slave mode. Perhaps this explains the discrepancy in consumption?

Troubleshooting Step(s):
* I replaced the fleece roll in (unit1.master), only.
* Units continued to beep.
* I attempted to manually advance the rollers.
* I noticed the roll for (unit2.slave) looked as if it wanted to advance.
* I noticed the unused part of the roll for (unit2.slave) was wet and thought perhaps the roll was too heavy.
* I replaced the fleece roll in (unit2.slave).
* Units continued to beep.
* I had a spare controller thanks to master/slave configuration and so I swapped out the controllers.
* Manual advancing of the rollers does not work.
* Units continue to beep.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for other things I can try. I didn't use socks before the Klir except to polish water so I'm not fretting. I hope it is just a user error type of thing. I've only had them a few months and when I cleaned out the units they were quite nasty and it is obvious they do their job - when they work.

Thanks,

20220710_192707613_iOS.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a suggestion to offer, but honestly after reading all the KLIR reviews I went with a Red Sea ReefMat when I retrofitted my sump. Can you run them independently instead of master/slave?

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a suggestion to offer, but honestly after reading all the KLIR reviews I went with a Red Sea ReefMat when I retrofitted my sump. Can you run them independently instead of master/slave?
Yes, they can be run separately. Actually, that is one thing I haven’t tried. I’ll do that next, great idea.

Reefmat won’t work for my system as it’s too large.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested them out of master/slave mode. They work independently. That’s curious.
At least you have a work-around. Was the y-cable providing power and connectivity? I find that one of my Maxspect XF330 gyres runs slower than the other or off entirely when it goes into backup mode during a power outage.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the Y-cable that's causing the problem. I had the same problem when I tried hooking up the Y-cable. Play with the RCA jack that goes into the blue controller and I'd bet it will work. You have to find the sweet spot in how much to push in the RCA jack. Start by backing it off a bit.
I know, it's gar-bage but whatcha gonna do.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folk,

I opened a ticket with CoralView for this issue, twice. I have yet to receive a response so I thought I'd return to R2R to see if there are any additional suggestions for me to try.

I don't want to make any assumptions. However, based on the contents of similar posts, I am guessing I know what the issue is.

Below is what I submitted to CoralView Support:

I'd appreciate any suggestions for other things I can try. I didn't use socks before the Klir except to polish water so I'm not fretting. I hope it is just a user error type of thing. I've only had them a few months and when I cleaned out the units they were quite nasty and it is obvious they do their job - when they work.

Thanks,

20220710_192707613_iOS.jpg
Long time ago I threw away all 3 of my klir 7 controllers and now just use my apex to turn them on for 4-5 seconds 2-3x a day

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you have a work-around. Was the y-cable providing power and connectivity? I find that one of my Maxspect XF330 gyres runs slower than the other or off entirely when it goes into backup mode during a power outage.
So the Y-cable does provide power. I can power a single roller on either end of the cable, but not apparently both without incessant beeping. But not presently, both. This may have been an issue longer than I thought, though without the beeping. One roller had about 20% of the unused roll left, perhaps both were not rolling in sync. I didn't initially have them configured master/slave, but I'm not sure that would account for the difference now with this odd power issue.

I wouldn't normally mind doing some footwork to make Apex advance the rollers, but I'm not interested in making retrofits right now for a variety of reasons. Fixed timed advancing intervals are wasteful, so I'd want to replace the motor/etc to do this work properly and be advanced using Neptune optical sensors, etc. In the meantime, I'll see what CoralVue says since now I have a workaround.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Y-cable does provide power. I can power a single roller on either end of the cable, but not apparently both without incessant beeping. But not presently, both. This may have been an issue longer than I thought, though without the beeping. One roller had about 20% of the unused roll left, perhaps both were not rolling in sync. I didn't initially have them configured master/slave, but I'm not sure that would account for the difference now with this odd power issue.

I wouldn't normally mind doing some footwork to make Apex advance the rollers, but I'm not interested in making retrofits right now for a variety of reasons. Fixed timed advancing intervals are wasteful, so I'd want to replace the motor/etc to do this work properly and be advanced using Neptune optical sensors, etc. In the meantime, I'll see what CoralVue says since now I have a workaround.
Honestly what’s more wasteful then fixed times intervals are sensors that do not work right and falsely advance from bubbles and condensation. Before I went the fixed interval route I first tried apex optical sensor after making custom bracket to try to isolate sensor away from flowing water and popping bubbles but still would have issues with false role advancement giving be 2-3 weeks per role. Now my roles last 3 months with no issues…..

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start out with only few seconds a couple times a day making sure it’s less then needed. Slowly add more seconds over the next few days as you watch what’s going on as needed. Maybe you need to add another interval but again hat takes 10 seconds to write to the program. Not much footwork as you called it. Pretty simple and you will never have to deal with those garbage modules or optical sensors again and you will have same results with less parts to go bad in the future.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First example runs it for 1 seconds 4x a day second example runs it for 3 second 4x a day.

7E70190C-D2FC-4DDC-8769-C3B7F1A8DD1B.png 619C4EF0-C220-47AD-A580-8A7A05A73128.png

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First example runs it for 1 seconds 4x a day second example runs it for 3 second 4x a day.

Thank you, I am well versed in Apex programming. Which motors (kits) did you swap out Klir ones with? Or did you just find a power supply to power motors directly?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I am well versed in Apex programming. Which motors (kits) did you swap out Klir ones with? Or did you just find a power supply to power motors directly?
Even better what I did is got the proper connector ends and use the same power supply that goes to the klir controller and literally connected the motor straight to the power supply with the jumper wire that I made and then plug that into an energy bar outlet. If you’re really interested I can look for the connectors that I bought I believe from Amazon and give you the part numbers if you would like let me know. Super easy it’s two wires to splice and I’m very glad that I did it. In the future diagnosing the problem will be much easier now only having a motor power supply and the Apex outlet turning on and off. On top of that it works exactly as I command it to no surprises no false activations no sensors to clean nothing

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add a sidenote I do find myself having to manually command the outlet on every once in a while let’s say after I do a cleaning in the tank and a bunch of stuff goes down the drain in closet up obviously without a sensor it does not advance it but now I know that when I do maintenance like this I turn the outlet on for about for five seconds and then turn it back to auto So what I have done is put a pushbutton switch next to it so when this happens I literally just have to hold the button as long as I want and let it go and the motor stops

OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better what I did is got the proper connector ends and use the same power supply that goes to the klir controller and literally connected the motor straight to the power supply with the jumper wire that I made and then plug that into an energy bar outlet. If you’re really interested I can look for the connectors that I bought I believe from Amazon and give you the part numbers if you would like let me know. Super easy it’s two wires to splice and I’m very glad that I did it. In the future diagnosing the problem will be much easier now only having a motor power supply and the Apex outlet turning on and off. On top of that it works exactly as I command it to no surprises no false activations no sensors to clean nothing
Right on. I should have the parts for that. Thanks for the ideas/methods/tips man.

Johnny Anderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add a sidenote I do find myself having to manually command the outlet on every once in a while let’s say after I do a cleaning in the tank and a bunch of stuff goes down the drain in closet up obviously without a sensor it does not advance it but now I know that when I do maintenance like this I turn the outlet on for about for five seconds and then turn it back to auto So what I have done is put a pushbutton switch next to it so when this happens I literally just have to hold the button as long as I want and let it go and the motor stops
Would you mind sharing how you resolved the power cord issue? I was about to trough the two Klir 7 in the trash but decided to do a search for a resolution and came across this thread. What I would like to do is trash the lil blue controller and run the klir using the Apex. Let me know what parts I need to get. I have additional optical sensors that can be used, but I like the idea of just having it run several times a day.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing how you resolved the power cord issue? I was about to trough the two Klir 7 in the trash but decided to do a search for a resolution and came across this thread. What I would like to do is trash the lil blue controller and run the klir using the Apex. Let me know what parts I need to get. I have additional optical sensors that can be used, but I like the idea of just having it run several times a day.
So here is the link to the connectors I bought but looks like these are now unavailable. I’m sure someone else has them and at least you have the size you need now. If I have time and remember I can try to find for you ones for sale. I took 2 of these connectors and with solder iron soldered black to black and red to red and sealed with sealing heat shrink that I put over wires before soldering to ensure good water tight seal. Then I threw away blue controller plugged klir motor into one end and then klir power supply into other end of the cable you made. Next is your program that you like. Your done pretty simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
rhostam

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I'll be applying the retrofit suggested by FordTech, I thought I'd share an update:

CoralVue has been utterly disappointing. I'd share my ticket interactions with them since it's easier than writing about it, but it's not cut/paste friendly. This experience is similar to the one I had when I reached out to them for an issue with the motor assembly for my IceCap Kalkwasser reactor.

July 13th - I submitted the ticket with my t/s details and a PDF of the Amazon receipt.
July 14th - I submitted additional steps taken to t/s.
July 24th - I requested an update.
July 25th - CV replies "[provide proof of purchase, shipping address, and video of malfunctioning device]"
July 25th - I replied that I already uploaded the receipt but that I'd include another copy. I provided my address. And I asked them what exactly they want me to record in the requested video. I also stated that I need help t/s the issue as the units work individually, but not in tandem mode.
<crickets>

Not very helpful despite their service hours:

We wanted to let you know we received your request and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Our Care Team typically works Monday - Friday, 9-5 CST and do our best to respond outside of these hours.

@CoralVue_Marketing

Islandbouy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone...new member here....i purchase the kilr roller because a brs rep told me it could fit my trigger sappirra 39....it fit except for the sensor..just too tight. I came across this tread and i love how Fordtech did his, but i havent been able to find the connectors. Has anyone been able to find these connectors?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back