Klir controlled by Apex?

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since we all agree that the controller for the Klir has issues and feels cheap it makes me wonder why it would not be difficult to use the sensor on the Klir to trigger a timed 12V? output to run the fleece advance motor.

I am not sure what the voltage on the motor is (12 or 24v?) but I would think that having the ability to control the Klir with our Apex's would be a big plus to us "Control Freaks"

I don't doubt this question has been asked but I could not find anything here on this. If it's already been discussed or even worked on , point me to the post thanks.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be hard at all to accomplish. As an added benefit, you could get more advanced monitoring by seeing how often fleece is dispensed, and alarms if fleece is not being dispensed and is clogged.

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this yet? If not I may make an attempt in the next week or two. Just hate to invent the wheel if someone already has

Greg Brugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to implement this. I've got my Klir to turn in once every 12 hours for 10 seconds for now. I need to get another FMM module on order so I will implement this soon and post my results.
I run the Klir DI-4 with their bracket. Right now I may drill a whole big enough to let the sensor fit into the side but I prefer to have the sensor mounted in an upward or downward position so gravity can help remove the water off the sensor easier.

Greg Brugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I found a way to do this. I did this fix early yesterday and checked my logs in Apex Fusion and it's working as expected.

In my system, the Klir DI-4 sits in the bracket that CoralVue makes for it. I drilled a whole and mounted the Apex FMM sensor as high as I could then mounted the Klir sensor to the bracket just below it.

musing the Klir sensor allowed me to use the new improved motor and not modify anything else.

The problem I've been having with the Klir is that when the sensor closes, it wants to stay in a closed state until the outlet it's connected to is reset (power off/on fixes it each time). Now is is this an issue with the controller or sensor - I don't know. When the Klir sensor is in a closed state, the controller continues to power the motor until the xxx:xx time limit is reached and it starts beeping.

Here are a couple photospheres the modification m (attached).

I programmed my Apex outlet as follows:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:05/000:30 Then ON
If Output KLIRSW_VO = OFF Then OFF

The only way the outlet turns on is if the KlirSW_VO changes to on. Once it's on, the OSC statement runs and allows the motor to run for 5 seconds and turns off for 30 seconds, back on again, etc. until the KlirSW_VO moves back into an OFF state.

The KlirSW_VO is configured as follows:

Set OFF
Set OFF
If KLIRSW CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON
When On = 006:00 Then OFF

The KLIRSW is the optical switch mounted to the Klir front bracket and connected to an Apex FMM module.

I also configured a VO called Klir_Alarm that alerts me when KLIRSW_VO has been in for 5 mins.This alarm will more than likely indicate that the fleece has ran out on the Klir.
Per the logs in Apex Fusion this morning and checking the water level in the bracket- it is working as expected.

F338EEC1-19CF-4D74-BE9C-DDD3C081F43E.jpeg DE4D9342-B3B4-4178-92E5-84DBD8EDF614.jpeg

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to reach out to coral view to replace my controller again. I was talking about this same idea the other night with a friend.

I was hoping I could splice the motor ps cord directly to the motor, and plug it to an eb8. Then replace the optical sensor with one from apex. The sensor they give with the unit is a different size connector then the apex optical sensors.

The on/off programming to control the Klir with an apex optical sensor is basic, no issues.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut the plug on the sensor and attach the wires to A breakout box or will it only work with a fmm type input?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I had one, I would try powering the motor directly, maybe using a separate power supply(correct voltage/amps) directly to the motor. Then plugging the power supply into in Apex outlet. And just controlling the on/off time of the outlet.

And then replace all sensors with Apex/FMM ones and use those for outlet programming

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut the plug on the sensor and attach the wires to A breakout box or will it only work with a fmm type input?

Breakout box would work for float switches, but not optical sensors.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone did convert the motor to run off Apex, he source a new motor.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experimentation and innovation you're doing with the Klir + Apex is happening at the HYDROS lab as well. Please continue to share your experiences and ideas! Although nothing has been queued up officially, I have murmurs of a new Klir controller being a possibility in 2021.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The experimentation and innovation you're doing with the Klir + Apex is happening at the HYDROS lab as well. Please continue to share your experiences and ideas! Although nothing has been queued up officially, I have murmurs of a new Klir controller being a possibility in 2021.
Awesome!

FishEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t happen fast enough!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed 2 of the Klir DI-7 and I am not a fan of the controller at all. I am going to wire up the transformer directly to the motor and have my EB832 outlet controller the motor when my float switch is active.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I found a way to do this. I did this fix early yesterday and checked my logs in Apex Fusion and it's working as expected.

In my system, the Klir DI-4 sits in the bracket that CoralVue makes for it. I drilled a whole and mounted the Apex FMM sensor as high as I could then mounted the Klir sensor to the bracket just below it.

musing the Klir sensor allowed me to use the new improved motor and not modify anything else.

The problem I've been having with the Klir is that when the sensor closes, it wants to stay in a closed state until the outlet it's connected to is reset (power off/on fixes it each time). Now is is this an issue with the controller or sensor - I don't know. When the Klir sensor is in a closed state, the controller continues to power the motor until the xxx:xx time limit is reached and it starts beeping.

Here are a couple photospheres the modification m (attached).

I programmed my Apex outlet as follows:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:05/000:30 Then ON
If Output KLIRSW_VO = OFF Then OFF

The only way the outlet turns on is if the KlirSW_VO changes to on. Once it's on, the OSC statement runs and allows the motor to run for 5 seconds and turns off for 30 seconds, back on again, etc. until the KlirSW_VO moves back into an OFF state.

The KlirSW_VO is configured as follows:

Set OFF
Set OFF
If KLIRSW CLOSED Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON
When On = 006:00 Then OFF

The KLIRSW is the optical switch mounted to the Klir front bracket and connected to an Apex FMM module.

I also configured a VO called Klir_Alarm that alerts me when KLIRSW_VO has been in for 5 mins.This alarm will more than likely indicate that the fleece has ran out on the Klir.
Per the logs in Apex Fusion this morning and checking the water level in the bracket- it is working as expected.

F338EEC1-19CF-4D74-BE9C-DDD3C081F43E.jpeg DE4D9342-B3B4-4178-92E5-84DBD8EDF614.jpeg
So are you still using the Klir controller to drive the motor and then using your Apex and additional optical sensor to turn off / on the power to the Klir?

Back