Klir DI-7 install issues, suggestions to CoralVue and faulty Controller

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut away the controller and hard wired the motor right to the power supply and plug the power supply right into the Apex. It worked for me but I consider it my own brute force solution. It is not the most efficient / accurate way of solving the problem. Needless to say, I pulled the two Klir filters out and got two Clarasea 5000 filters and they work perfect as they were designed! End of story

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used your pic and marked the must-dremmel sides in blue.

0B648548-089B-4BFF-852E-458BC61E2EE2.jpeg
Hi im looking at the blue circles and I’m not understanding what you rounded out . Is it the corners of the openings ?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He used a dremel to smooth out the sharp edge on each side where the fleece gets taut.
I have 2 units and did this to one and I would not recommend it. While it looks like a solution, what I have noticed is that the fleece becomes a little loose and is no longer snug against the frame without the edges. Just my opinion after observing one that is dremeled smooth and the other stock.

mpcs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, been following the thread, thanks for all the tidbits. I aquired a used Klir 7 that someone had given up on. It was an original 1st gen model. I could not get it to work automatically, I had to manually stretch out the fleece and then manually push and hold the button to get it to roll up. Saw all the notes and found that CoralVue has released fixes and contacted them, and they happily shipped me the replacement parts.

Now it is WORKING!!! :) I wanted to let others know that it does work. Here's my notes of what I see has fixed it:

1.New motor (series one was 3 RPM, fixed version is 11 RPM)
2.New bottom plastic bottom assembly (the part that you unscrew and pull out to thread new fleece)
3.New fleece

1. The new motor no longer bogs down, it is strong enough. In fact with my original fleece roll it actually stripped out the plastic inner part of the dirty rollup. So no more getting bogged down.
2. The new bottom assembly has the relevant edge, coming down from clean roll into bottom assembly, rounded out. No Dremel required. Also they added an extra 1/8th" gap to the tension roller, which relieves just the right amount of tension that allows everything to continue moving when it is soggy wet.
3. The original unit came with a single 50 yard roll (at least that's what I saw). When the dirty roll is getting rolled up, it is super dirty and soggy damp, making everything drag down with too much tension. It works initially, but about half way down it is too much. I noticed the new "50 yard package" comes with 2 25 Yard rolls. This resolves this issue as well.

With no other modifications, this unit is working perfectly. No more replacing and washing socks. Now I just have the monthly (light) and quarterly sump cleanings to worry about which I had to do before anyway. Thanks CoraVue!

HZiranski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine keeps trapping air underneath causing the water in the sump to rise and of course the sensor to alarm. Any ideas on how to keep the air from getting trapped?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 53

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back