Klir Filter Review.

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a 7” Klir and it is rolling well before the water level reaches the optical sensor. It just keeps rolling until I reach in and wipe off the sensor with my finger. I think moisture in the sock tray is giving the optical sensor a false reading. Any advise for a fix?

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting the sensor so the point of it is vertical, straight up and down.
How would I mount it to the side of the unit in that orientation? The way I see it, I’ve only got two options: the sensor pointing out from the unit like the coral cue install video shows it or tirn it around so it points towards the inside of the unit. Not sure how I could mount it so it is pointing up or down?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a 7” Klir and it is rolling well before the water level reaches the optical sensor. It just keeps rolling until I reach in and wipe off the sensor with my finger. I think moisture in the sock tray is giving the optical sensor a false reading. Any advise for a fix?
Are you sure you have it wired right? It supposed to shutdown after about 30 seconds or something close to that if the sensor does not stop reading high.

Putting that aside if your having some kind of misting issue you could make a DIY dome that covers the sensor from water spray but is open on the bottom and has an air hole at the top. Drilling a hole the same size as the sensor threads into the side of a 20 ml dosing cap and then putting the sensor through the hole and using the plastic nut to hold the two down should work.

Sorry for the crude drawing but I just did this quickly in MS paint to show you what I mean

cap.jpg

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have it wired right? It supposed to shutdown after about 30 seconds or something close to that if the sensor does not stop reading high.

Putting that aside if your having some kind of misting issue you could make a DIY dome that covers the sensor from water spray but is open on the bottom and has an air hole at the top. Drilling a hole the same size as the sensor threads into the side of a 20 ml dosing cap and then putting the sensor through the hole and using the plastic nut to hold the two down should work.

Sorry for the crude drawing but I just did this quickly in MS paint to show you what I mean

cap.jpg
Thanks for the idea, I might give that a try tomorrow. I rotated the whole unit to have the sensor face a less turbulent part of the sock holder but it’s still starting to roll before the water level is anywhere near the sensor. Pretty sure it’s wired right but I’ll check again. My next step is to eliminate the controller and sensor all together and use an apex optical sensor to control it.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I mount it to the side of the unit in that orientation? The way I see it, I’ve only got two options: the sensor pointing out from the unit like the coral cue install video shows it or tirn it around so it points towards the inside of the unit. Not sure how I could mount it so it is pointing up or down?
It points out like you have it but just rotate it so the bevel edge is up down.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started reading this thread back when there was 2-3pages
@pecan2phat your assessment on every con for the klir has been very accurate in my opinion. I have been through the thread a couple times now and at this point I’m hoping CV starts listening about the noise caused by rushing water. I hit up infinite0180 for the plate he got from octo and he mentioned the very issue that’s mentioned in this thread about a million times! You literally have to raise your water level 10”+ to get the filter to work properly. Please someone at CV change the fleece support walls.. A couple of examples are the trigger system sumps or clarisea filters.

Trueblue17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep it clean with a a spray bottle of RO water is what i do once n while but i dont really get that now after i contacted coralvue they sent me o new controller which stopped the over advancing and not stopping. mine runs greot now

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rotated it. So far, so good. Thanks.
Glad you got this figured out. I’ve had a Klir 7 for about six months or so. CoralVue support has been super helpful so I wouldn’t hesitate to contact them. They’ve helped me troubleshoot problems and have sent me replacement items as needed.

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I had it fixed but woke up to the alarm, I assume because it was over advancing again. Turned off and back on and it immediately started advancing. Wiped the condensation off the sensor and it stopped like it should. The sensor seems to be too sensitive. Is it best to call or email coralvue?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I had it fixed but woke up to the alarm, I assume because it was over advancing again. Turned off and back on and it immediately started advancing. Wiped the condensation off the sensor and it stopped like it should. The sensor seems to be too sensitive. Is it best to call or email coralvue?
I have gone thru this exact thing and took dame steps as you even contacted cv who responded but did not help. I e turned unit around so sensor was in less turbulence, and positioned sensor different ways but still same thing every day controller alarm went off stopping operation till I press button. Finally after couple weeks of screwing around I build this remotely mounted sensor holder and placed it in my tray away from popping bubbles which cause the bubbles popping next to sensor was my issue. After finding if I place this in corner backwards then the area sensor is in is calm and now works properly.
1606676415312.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then at this point I felt everything was working as it’s supposta except I felt like the used role should be dirtier before it turns making it more effective and last longer. (This is what everyone wants right?) so after figuring out how controller works I decided to plug it into one of my energy bar outlets and have the outlet turn on 4x a day 6 hours apart for 30 min each time. What this has done is turned off controller so the water is forced to go thru fleece longer making it work bet r before it turns. Before I did this role would spin every 1-3 hours and barely be dirty. Now it turns 1x every 6 hours and by this time fleece is 100% exhausted and I’m now getting my money’s worth out of the roles. Been over 2 months for this role in 250gallon system and still couple weeks left.

Attachments

• CA12E0AA-C5B1-4C8A-A191-ECB7D11134E5.png
    CA12E0AA-C5B1-4C8A-A191-ECB7D11134E5.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 57

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then at this point I felt everything was working as it’s supposta except I felt like the used role should be dirtier before it turns making it more effective and last longer. (This is what everyone wants right?) so after figuring out how controller works I decided to plug it into one of my energy bar outlets and have the outlet turn on 4x a day 6 hours apart for 30 min each time. What this has done is turned off controller so the water is forced to go thru fleece longer making it work bet r before it turns. Before I did this role would spin every 1-3 hours and barely be dirty. Now it turns 1x every 6 hours and by this time fleece is 100% exhausted and I’m now getting my money’s worth out of the roles. Been over 2 months for this role in 250gallon system and still couple weeks left.
Mine is also controllerd by my controller and I started using a timer like you are doing but then a few days later I started getting alarms going off because I had stirred up the ditritus in the tank and the level sensor was high for longer than 5 minutes. I decided to go back to using a level sensor ane let it do it's thing. It runs for about 40 seconds everyday which is enough to turn over the fleece every day. My controller outlets keep track of runtime so it's easy to know how much its run each day and when the role is getting near to the end. BTW I ditched the optical sensor and use one of my controllers float sensors, they work a lot better and don't give any false alarms.

Back