Klir Filter Review.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some quick help. I'm trying to install the two KLIR 4".. How do i set up master/slave mode? Do i need a y-splitter?

I have 2 sets of senors, 2 motors, 2 controllers... what do I plugin and how?
I would add, it's super annoying that coalvue did a super suck-@$$job at making this process clear

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been following this thread for a long while as I ordered klir's long before I had my tank running and actually had my custom sump from Bashsea setup to accommodate these things. So you can appreciate my anxiety over this lol. Long story short, so far this has been a really good decision for me. A short video showing my installation follows, this is after I installed the klir's and then put in rock, rearranged it 5 times and then dumped in sand... It's stripped my water clear and for what's rolled up do far I could guess I have another 45 days left on these rolls... Yes stocking levels will change etc.. But if you ever dumped sand in and moved rocks you know how bad water clarity can be and ultimately it's all about suspended particulates. So far so awesome! My units were received with the most updated motors etc... After a week of very disruptive activity that tests water particulate suspension my initial opinion is A+

Last edited:

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add, it's super annoying that coalvue did a super suck-@$$job at making this process clear

Yep, no where is it tellin me I need a y-splitter.. Great now I have to go order one...

I see the controller has 1 button, which is reset.
A few other things.

- Is there a way to manually turn the motor a few clicks to test things?
- My controller's light is blue and red. Is that how its suppose to be?
- The instructions say to plug the sensor to the TS input. What is the PS input used for?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reset button is also the power on/off button.
You press the button briefly and it will turn the power either on or off.
The reset button also is the manual advance button. When the controller is lit and you press and hold the button down, it will advance the fleece roll until you release the button (or let go of the button).
The blue and red indicator lights on are normal.
The PS port is part of the original concept design where there was a safety stop float switch which isn't used for the KLIR, it might be still utilized for their IceCap ATO but I'm not exactly sure but I believe they use the same controller for that product.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Is there a way to manually turn the motor a few clicks to test things?
Other than submerging the optical sensor by hand or another method, there is no 'jog' feature that I'm aware of.
- My controller's light is blue and red. Is that how its suppose to be?
That seems to be the normal operation mode for me.
- The instructions say to plug the sensor to the TS input. What is the PS input used for?
I was hoping you could tell me ;)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reset button is also the power on/off button.
You press the button briefly and it will turn the power either on or off.
The reset button also is the manual advance button. When the controller is lit and you press and hold the button down, it will advance the fleece roll until you release the button (or let go of the button).
The blue and red indicator lights on are normal.
The PS port is part of the original concept design where there was a safety stop float switch which isn't used for the KLIR, it might be still utilized for their IceCap ATO but I'm not exactly sure but I believe they use the same controller for that product.
awesome, i learned something! I did not know about the advance feature. Cool!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, no where is it tellin me I need a y-splitter.. Great now I have to go order one...
It's funny, you watch all their video and written documentation and they tell you that you can slave them together and then proceed to NOT tell you how to do that lol

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had slaved a pair together for 5 months and found that I do not get any considerable benefit in regards to rolls lasting much longer and inconsequential ability for flow increase.
After going through 2 sets of fleece, I took the 2nd one offline because I rather have 20% less flow and go through one replacement roll vs two in about the same amount of time.
Also you will find an annoying aspect of using 2 units where the rolls do not finish up the same time because each motor turns slightly different, just an FYI.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had slaved a pair together for 5 months and found that I do not get any considerable benefit in regards to rolls lasting much longer and inconsequential ability for flow increase.
After going through 2 sets of fleece, I took the 2nd one offline because I rather have 20% less flow and go through one replacement roll vs two in about the same amount of time.
Also you will find an annoying aspect of using 2 units where the rolls do not finish up the same time because each motor turns slightly different, just an FYI.
Just curious, have you calculated what your turn over is from your returns?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly I figured that when I initially only ran a single unit, the flow rate was approximately 650 to 700gph which meets the specs but I quickly found out that I had to turn it down to about 550gph to maximize the fleece roll.
When I ran dual units, I turned the flow up to approximately 850gph so well within the specs of two units but after 5 months, the rolls exhausted around the same time that a single roll would @ 550gph.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, I like the two 4" units. The only annoyance is sometimes the water splash gets very load.. It only happens every 30 minutes or so. I cant figure out why its doing it.. Anyone have a problem with noise?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably the water leaking out of the sidewall of the grid bracket.
IMG_3963.JPG

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably the water leaking out of the sidewall of the grid bracket.

YES, thats it.. I noticed that but didnt know if that was by design or an issue.. How do I get it to stop leaking?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't, IMO it's a design flaw with the cage and how little border area there is for the edge of the fleece to hold the oncoming pressure of the increasing water between the fleece.
It's one of my rants on the cons of the KLIR.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick fix but is only temporary is to manually advance the roll with the reset button.

Quinzico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I installed a DI4 a few days ago and noticed that every time new fleece in unrolled, the skimmer overflows.

Is there any fix / suggestion to resolve this?

Thanks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I installed a DI4 a few days ago and noticed that every time new fleece in unrolled, the skimmer overflows.

Is there any fix / suggestion to resolve this?

Thanks
I’m having issue tuning my skimmer now after installing klir. I Believe I’m having the same issue that when the new fleece is advancing the skimmer goes crazy

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's akin to if you had placed a new felt filter sock into the sump without running it through a wash or rinse that is causing the skimmer to go whacko.
Once the roll gets saturated from wicking water, the skimmer issue will go away.

Quinzico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's akin to if you had placed a new felt filter sock into the sump without running it through a wash or rinse that is causing the skimmer to go whacko.
Once the roll gets saturated from wicking water, the skimmer issue will go away.
I think it is what you wrote...it happened during the first few feet....but after that, never again. It is OK now.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it sends the skimmer crazy for the first two feet and then it stops. Typically I find this problem can be quickly dealt with by just turning off the skimmer for 15 minutes or emptying the cup and clean it out then change the fleece and let it run crazy until it fills the cup and then dump that and it's good to go.

My biggest gripe is the hinged section which makes putting new fleece on more difficult than it needs to be. They need a latch so the thing is not swinging open all the time when your changing the roll.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back