Klisbys RSM S-500 LED

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
After half a year break I'm restarting my tank. My previous setup was build on Florida Live Rock where I had many unwanted critters, algae and aiptasia. The method I was using was a very slowly approach. It was not at all successful!! Mainly I had 3 Mantis Shrimps that kept killing my snails and fish and thereby released a lot of waste in the water column. Every time I tried to introduce something to kill off my Aiptasia, it was killed by the Mantis gang!

As I had to move I therefore decided to make a total restart of the aquarium. I dried all my live rocks in the NC sun, gave them a Chlorine bath for a week and let them rinse in RODI water for three weeks. This should leave me with total clear stones with no life what so ever.

The Idea of this setup is to run Triton (I can relate very well to the theory behind and it makes sense for me) - it also seems like its a method with low maintenance (I have 4 small kids). For the Triton I need to replace sump and skimmer and get a fudge light (still running stock skimmer and sump). It will be mixed reef with colorful and active fish and critters.

The aquarium is a RED SEA MAX S-500 LED white - beautiful aquarium. I have APEX Neptune, DOS and WAVE.

Hopefully this thread will be my diary, and hopefully I will be able to update.

And now some pictures

Chlorine rinse
IMG_0109.jpg

Stones after Chlorine rinse
IMG_0130.jpg

Water after first rinse.. ;Yuck ;Vomit

IMG_0129.jpg

Support and get the aquarium leveled up.. :D
IMG_0137.jpg
;)
IMG_0127.jpg
Got the front doors aligned for the very first time!!!! YAY!! ;Woot
IMG_0128.jpg

And now.... THE WAIT ...... "FILL-ER-UP"
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0181.JPG
Aquascape two islands with natural territories and caves for the fish. Leave room on top for growth and have dept in the stone structure. With a little bit of sands and tons of corals this baby is going to rock! ;Nailbiting

A big bucket of Tropic Marine salt is just waiting to be dropped in!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
After half a year break I'm restarting my tank. My previous setup was build on Florida Live Rock where I had many unwanted critters, algae and aiptasia. The method I was using was a very slowly approach. It was not at all successful!! Mainly I had 3 Mantis Shrimps that kept killing my snails and fish and thereby released a lot of waste in the water column. Every time I tried to introduce something to kill off my Aiptasia, it was killed by the Mantis gang!

As I had to move I therefore decided to make a total restart of the aquarium. I dried all my live rocks in the NC sun, gave them a Chlorine bath for a week and let them rinse in RODI water for three weeks. This should leave me with total clear stones with no life what so ever.

The Idea of this setup is to run Triton (I can relate very well to the theory behind and it makes sense for me) - it also seems like its a method with low maintenance (I have 4 small kids). For the Triton I need to replace sump and skimmer and get a fudge light (still running stock skimmer and sump). It will be mixed reef with colorful and active fish and critters.

The aquarium is a RED SEA MAX S-500 LED white - beautiful aquarium. I have APEX Neptune, DOS and WAVE.

Hopefully this thread will be my diary, and hopefully I will be able to update.

And now some pictures

Chlorine rinse
IMG_0109.jpg

Stones after Chlorine rinse
IMG_0130.jpg

Water after first rinse.. ;Yuck ;Vomit

IMG_0129.jpg

Support and get the aquarium leveled up.. :D
IMG_0137.jpg
;)
IMG_0127.jpg
Got the front doors aligned for the very first time!!!! YAY!! ;Woot
IMG_0128.jpg

And now.... THE WAIT ...... "FILL-ER-UP"
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0181.JPG
Aquascape two islands with natural territories and caves for the fish. Leave room on top for growth and have dept in the stone structure. With a little bit of sands and tons of corals this baby is going to rock! ;Nailbiting

A big bucket of Tropic Marine salt is just waiting to be dropped in!

Nice restart! I love the two islands. I would mix the heights up a bit, but just my opinion.

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice restart! I love the two islands. I would mix the heights up a bit, but just my opinion.
Thank you Caveman. We ran out of stones, I would also like to have a little bit more height on the right - thanks! Need to get some more stones :-D

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some sand advise?
Best sand that will both benefit sand shifters and high flow?
Is that the Tropic Eden Reef flakes?
TIA!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some sand advise?
Best sand that will both benefit sand shifters and high flow?
Is that the Tropic Eden Reef flakes?
TIA!

Carib Sea special grade.

Used in 2 tanks with many gobies, pistol shrimps, and sifters.

Does not blow around unless you’re pointing your power head at the sand!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... oh the wait....
17a29d0da1d0db5c66976d718ee80389.jpg

Ha! Takes a loooong time. The height looks around 2/3 of the tank now. I would not go much higher as you will need room for coral growth.

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, big day today. Aquarium was finally filled with RODI and I could start to pour in my salt. I'm using Tropic Marine Pro.

I let it mix over night and this morning I added Dr. Tims and some Reefroids and Reef chilli.

Now the plan is to let it sit for 48 hours. Friday sand, GFO and Active Carbon will arrive, and then after the weekend first coral will be introduced..

Plan is to replace stock sump and skimmer so I get more space for refugium and TriTon. I just nedd to find a sump that actually fits in the compartment of the S-500 and have big enough refugium to support the 500 liter water system..

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg
Very difficult to take picture into a refractometer!! ;Inpain
IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg
;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken
IMG_0196.jpg
There's plenty of projects still needed to be done!

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia down from 4 ppm to 0 in 24 hours two days in row. Time for first water change - of cause using the fantastic AWC from reefloat..
IMG_0218.jpg

Dog started to teething..
IMG_0162.jpg

Maybe a little better picture of her seeking attention :-D
IMG_0005.GIF

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia down from 4 ppm to 0 in 24 hours two days in row. Time for first water change - of cause using the fantastic AWC from reefloat..
IMG_0218.jpg

Dog started to teething..
IMG_0162.jpg

Maybe a little better picture of her seeking attention :-D
IMG_0005.GIF

It does look like nice, good job, probably it is most excitement time!

Good dog, you will be able to pass sometime with her in front of the tank. [emoji41]

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like nice, good job, probably it is most excitement time!

Good dog, you will be able to pass sometime with her in front of the tank. [emoji41]

Thanks! It is both the most excitement time but also the most tedious time. You want to add so much to the aquarium, but need to take it easy... Need some more colourfull fishes before the tank will catch the attention of the dog :D
I want to go fully Triton in this system, so looking for a replacement sump with a big enough refugium and still have space for skimmer and return pump. That is not totally easy due to size of sump compartment 29x21... All sumps are 30.... who also makes a sump compartment 29... o_O:(

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It is both the most excitement time but also the most tedious time. You want to add so much to the aquarium, but need to take it easy... Need some more colourfull fishes before the tank will catch the attention of the dog :D
I want to go fully Triton in this system, so looking for a replacement sump with a big enough refugium and still have space for skimmer and return pump. That is not totally easy due to size of sump compartment 29x21... All sumps are 30.... who also makes a sump compartment 29... o_O:(

The time will come when everything will be full of corals and fishes, I know we all want to push things inside as soon as we can but nothing good comes when we push things on this hobby [emoji28].

I think you can still do Triton on the sump but it would be a bit small. I have a RSM S-500 and I use the area next to the skimmer as refugium.

The RSM S-series are really nice tanks, neat and beautiful.

OP
OP
klisby

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time will come when everything will be full of corals and fishes, I know we all want to push things inside as soon as we can but nothing good comes when we push things on this hobby [emoji28].

I think you can still do Triton on the sump but it would be a bit small. I have a RSM S-500 and I use the area next to the skimmer as refugium.

I think the first compartment is to small for a well working refugium. Also the flow in the sump does not allow lot of water to pass through that area. Maybe modifying the sump myself will be the final solution..

One Breath 808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a RSM500 and if possible can you message me pics of your refugium setup

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back