OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so no mixing liquid prazi and CP, so should i wait out the prazipro? (seems like the normal protocol is a 20-25% change after 5 days. )

Should i try and remove the prazi using carbon? ugh, this is a mess, and i thought i was being careful.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so no mixing liquid prazi and CP, so should i wait out the prazipro? (seems like the normal protocol is a 20-25% change after 5 days. )

Should i try and remove the prazi using carbon? ugh, this is a mess, and i thought i was being careful.
Prazi has done its thing within 30 minutes typically, so removing it would be fine. I just remove it with large water changes.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so essentially, i will start with 20% water change tonight, 20% tomorrow morning and keep going until i have gotten all of the water out.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid Prazi and CP is even more difficult. If you do it at ALL you need to use a powder form of prazi. Something like GC, which also includes Metro, or a pure praziquental powder you can find from some places. Liquid PraziPro isn't a good idea with CP. CP is awesome still though :)

So tbc, is there a bad drug interaction, or is it the oxygen depletion that is the problem.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks looks like your protocol uses some antibiotics during copper, can I start antibiotic treatment while I am finishing prazipro? I am getting the list of meds you use, metro, furan-2, focus, kanaplax

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks looks like your protocol uses some antibiotics during copper, can I start antibiotic treatment while I am finishing prazipro? I am getting the list of meds you use, metro, furan-2, focus, kanaplax
I don't use antibiotics prophylactically. I only use them if an infection is present. So I'd hold off.

Also I have never mixed them with praziquantel.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized I did not have copper power but rather copper safe, just ordered the copper power and it should arrive with the Hanna checker.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized I did not have copper power but rather copper safe, just ordered the copper power and it should arrive with the Hanna checker.

coppersafe will work. I would half the recommended dosage (ie: 0.4ml per gallon) and test. make up 1 gallon of water, add in 0.4ml of coppersafe. test. If you're at 1.5 then you are almost there.

I usually shot for 1.75ppm using the copper checker with coppersafe.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be clear- the consensus here seems to be that for the flame wrasse, using copper ramping up from 1.0ppm to 1.75 ppm is likely safer than using 40mg/gallon of CP, correct?

I ask because i could start CP as early as tomorrow, while copper i would need to wait until Thursday night.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So... my flame wrasse is dead after I added enoough copper power to get to .46 ppm.

I am beyond frustrated.

The fish was eating well, swimming well, and otherwise active with no signs of disease or issues.

I had changed my water out for the last three days to clear out prazi pro.

I then added an additional air stone (so for my qt, I had 2 air stones, plus the corner filter)

I fed the wrasse in the morning. Things looked well, added copper power to a small amount of tank water (I halved the amount enough to get close to 1.0ppm) added it, things looked fine for several minutes and went to work.

I come home and the fish is dead.

To recap I never used Prime, I had in the past had polyfilter and had used zeolite, but both were taken out and I did not find any information that they were a problem.

I am ready to scream. I am so frustrated and I have to wonder if I would have been better off using CP.

I appreciated all of your thoughts and insights but I would definitely count this incident in the notion that maybe fairy wrasse, specifically flame may be more sensitive to copper than what people here seem to think.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
349352ca04d2e7f5d17c1ae9e2915d86.jpg
823db2af9860dc55a4a4e5cea68bb9d2.jpg

Here are the pics, no signs of infection that I can see

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back