Kole tang looking bad ! Help ID

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I am after some help to see what is wrong with my kole tang. He has gone very pale as of late and I have seen him flashing also he has not lost his appetite and his poo is not stringy. I also have a Midas blenny which flashes but also have a cardinal, clownfish, peacock wrasse that do not. I have just managed to catch the kole to do a fresh water dip to see for flukes but nothing came off here is a picture of him in the fresh water dip not looking so good and a few pics post dip back in the display. Please if you can help me identify the problem please do.

diet consists of nori red/green, mysis, flake, pellet and lobster eggs now and then

kh- 8.3
Temp- 25.5
Cal- 430
Mag-1350
Phos-0
Nitrate-below 5ppm hard to match colour on Salifert test.

tank been running for about 6months. I do a 10% water change weekly

CD13F52C-88B6-499E-B3C4-FF4D429C285B.jpeg 9F3023DD-9100-42F6-B10A-C4F0F5660A96.jpeg 03C1A1B3-8F49-4029-BF0D-A0212D50107F.jpeg DDD9C449-4024-4984-BD9E-37D6F0F75853.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fish have a dusty appearance or is it just my imagination?

Is he swimming in to powerheads? Breathing heavily? Guessing velvet but cannot be sure. I don't see ich on this screen, either.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fish have a dusty appearance or is it just my imagination?

Is he swimming in to powerheads? Breathing heavily? Guessing velvet but cannot be sure. I don't see ich on this screen, either.
No he’s not dusty. Neither is he swimming into power heads or breathing heavy. Looking at him now after the dip. Maybe it looks like the full outer edge of his body/fins look abit white

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that supposed to be a Blue Eyed Kole Tang (I hope not— or he’s in bad distress), or some other type of Kole?

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that supposed to be a Blue Eyed Kole Tang (I hope not— or he’s in bad distress), or some other type of Kole?
Yes it is. Looking it up it has never really shown the colours that I see on the internet but maybe the stripes shown through originally.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3293B68-327D-4962-AFB0-6BA026543891.jpeg

I just snapped this photo of mine to show you the difference in color; can you get yours into a Hospital tank and start working with him?

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3293B68-327D-4962-AFB0-6BA026543891.jpeg

I just snapped this photo of mine to show you the difference in color; can you get yours into a Hospital tank and start working with him?
Yes I can. Mine has definitely never looked that colour, for sure the tail of mine is a bright yellow and I think even when fully well it would still be. Mine is only about 1.5 inches long.
What’s the next step then into a hospital tank alone or with all other tank mates and let DT go fallow or is that pointless as I don’t even know what is wrong with it yet ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I am after some help to see what is wrong with my kole tang. He has gone very pale as of late and I have seen him flashing also he has not lost his appetite and his poo is not stringy. I also have a Midas blenny which flashes but also have a cardinal, clownfish, peacock wrasse that do not. I have just managed to catch the kole to do a fresh water dip to see for flukes but nothing came off here is a picture of him in the fresh water dip not looking so good and a few pics post dip back in the display. Please if you can help me identify the problem please do.

diet consists of nori red/green, mysis, flake, pellet and lobster eggs now and then

kh- 8.3
Temp- 25.5
Cal- 430
Mag-1350
Phos-0
Nitrate-below 5ppm hard to match colour on Salifert test.

tank been running for about 6months. I do a 10% water change weekly

CD13F52C-88B6-499E-B3C4-FF4D429C285B.jpeg 9F3023DD-9100-42F6-B10A-C4F0F5660A96.jpeg 03C1A1B3-8F49-4029-BF0D-A0212D50107F.jpeg DDD9C449-4024-4984-BD9E-37D6F0F75853.jpeg
Freshwater dips only work for screening for one type of fluke - Neobenedenia. The other species are too small to see in the dip water without a microscope, and then, they really look like little balls of mucus....so, this *could* be flukes even though you didn't see anything in the dip. The pale color, flashing, good appetite and slightly tattered caudal fin all sort of lean me towards flukes.

How long have you had this fish?
Do you have access to Prazipro in the UK?

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get 1oz off eBay for £30 not sure if that is expensive as I don’t know how much it is in the us I have this to hand if this is any good ?

Attachments

• EC71B061-9687-4ACD-BF6B-C968C7DFE696.jpeg
    EC71B061-9687-4ACD-BF6B-C968C7DFE696.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips only work for screening for one type of fluke - Neobenedenia. The other species are too small to see in the dip water without a microscope, and then, they really look like little balls of mucus....so, this *could* be flukes even though you didn't see anything in the dip. The pale color, flashing, good appetite and slightly tattered caudal fin all sort of lean me towards flukes.

How long have you had this fish?
Do you have access to Prazipro in the UK?

Jay
I’ve had the fish maybe 10 weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the fish maybe 10 weeks
That is right around the time that flukes multiply and begin to affect the fish. I can't say for certain of course, but it seems a good possibility.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is right around the time that flukes multiply and begin to affect the fish. I can't say for certain of course, but it seems a good possibility.

Jay
Ok so should I pull the fish to a QT to treat or can I do this in the DT will all other fish have flukes if this is the case ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so should I pull the fish to a QT to treat or can I do this in the DT will all other fish have flukes if this is the case ?
All fish in the tank have been exposed to flukes (if there are flukes). Therefore, you would need to treat the entire tank. Prazipro is mostly reef safe as long as you add supplemental aeration. You would need to dose it twice, 7 to 10 days apart.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish in the tank have been exposed to flukes (if there are flukes). Therefore, you would need to treat the entire tank. Prazipro is mostly reef safe as long as you add supplemental aeration. You would need to dose it twice, 7 to 10 days apart.

Jay
Ok I may just pull 1 fish first and put in a QT and treat. if there is improvements I will treat all fish in the display also. As don’t want to treat the display if I am not 100% sure it’s actually even flukes in the first place .

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I may just pull 1 fish first and put in a QT and treat. if there is improvements I will treat all fish in the display also. As don’t want to treat the display if I am not 100% sure it’s actually even flukes in the first place .
I would treat the display. I've treated my display for flukes dozens of times without issue. Flukes can kill quickly, and in this case moving the fish to a QT is more stressful for it than perhaps need be.

Just my advice. Good luck :)

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the display. I've treated my display for flukes dozens of times without issue. Flukes can kill quickly, and in this case moving the fish to a QT is more stressful for it than perhaps need be.

Just my advice. Good luck :)
Ok thanks hopefully it is flukes

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks hopefully it is flukes
IMO it wouldn't hurt to treat a tank for flukes anyway. I'd venture to bet almost all tanks with fish in them have flukes. Especially if they've added fish in the past year or two. I don't know about on your side of the pond, but to the US the fish distribution system is terrible and heavily diseased. (I only assume you're not in the US based on your spelling of colour -- I see this a lot on my British car forums as I own one ;))

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it wouldn't hurt to treat a tank for flukes anyway. I'd venture to bet almost all tanks with fish in them have flukes. Especially if they've added fish in the past year or two. I don't know about on your side of the pond, but to the US the fish distribution system is terrible and heavily diseased. (I only assume you're not in the US based on your spelling of colour -- I see this a lot on my British car forums as I own one ;))
So I have just done a 30%water change and now dosed prazi. What is the best procedure now wait about 5 days do another 30% water change then re dose then wait another five days do another water change and then run carbon for 24 hours ? I have got my skimmer running but overflowing back into sump is that correct ? Thanks in advance

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back