Kole tang looking bad ! Help ID

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I never really thought of doing that— can’t say for sure it would be ‘as’ effective— but If so, I’d put it where the return pump is; your trying to add oxygenation to your tank as best you can.)

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far into the prazi treatment should you start to see appearance improvement if it is flukes we are dealing with ? Or will it be a longer process just the flashing ect will stop ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far into the prazi treatment should you start to see appearance improvement if it is flukes we are dealing with ? Or will it be a longer process just the flashing ect will stop ?
Are you using the product that you posted the picture of? If so, that is flubendazole, not praziquantel. I don’t have much experience with that drug, in the US it isn’t very common, and mostly used by discus breeders.
Generally, when you use any antihelmenthic, the flukes drop off, leaving little spots of open skin. The fish may still scratch until these heal - a few days perhaps.
Although I wasn’t 100% that this tang had flukes, treating for them seemed the best option, as I’m not sure what else would be causing the scratching.
Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the product that you posted the picture of? If so, that is flubendazole, not praziquantel. I don’t have much experience with that drug, in the US it isn’t very common, and mostly used by discus breeders.
Generally, when you use any antihelmenthic, the flukes drop off, leaving little spots of open skin. The fish may still scratch until these heal - a few days perhaps.
Although I wasn’t 100% that this tang had flukes, treating for them seemed the best option, as I’m not sure what else would be causing the scratching.
Jay
No I managed to get hold of some prazi pro. Ok I will just have to see if things go if no better after the prazi treatment then mayb I will have to pull the fish to a QT and treat with copper.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get some more pictures tonight also to see if you can see what else it might be.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the tang. Just done a water change and dosed the second dose of prazi pro. Here are some pictures of the tang still not looking great hopefully you can spot something else. To me it kind of looks like rust marks would. Really hard to get quality pictures. Will see the next 7 days of prazi pro out then transfer to a qt and treat with copper.

Attachments

• CE080387-C803-4E91-A5D9-A0F5B64276FF.jpeg
    CE080387-C803-4E91-A5D9-A0F5B64276FF.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 84DE1598-2DD6-4040-AD57-016494A811A5.jpeg
    84DE1598-2DD6-4040-AD57-016494A811A5.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 46

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the tang. Just done a water change and dosed the second dose of prazi pro. Here are some pictures of the tang still not looking great hopefully you can spot something else. To me it kind of looks like rust marks would. Really hard to get quality pictures. Will see the next 7 days of prazi pro out then transfer to a qt and treat with copper.
The fish is still feeding? If so, then I would give the fish 3 days in the second dose of prazipro, then move it out and try treating with copper. Be sure to get the copper level up to a full in 24 hours.

Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the tang guys. Unfortunately I found it lying on the bottom of QT this morning after first treatment of cupramine last night. Not sure what’s gone wrong tbh and I’m gutted to say the least. I really don’t know where to go from here as I have no idea why this has happened. I have a Midas blenny, cardinal and a clownfish in the copper QT and there’s a peacock wrasse and a royal gramma still in display which I couldn’t catch.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the tang guys. Unfortunately I found it lying on the bottom of QT this morning after first treatment of cupramine last night. Not sure what’s gone wrong tbh and I’m gutted to say the least. I really don’t know where to go from here as I have no idea why this has happened. I have a Midas blenny, cardinal and a clownfish in the copper QT and there’s a peacock wrasse and a royal gramma still in display which I couldn’t catch.
Sorry to hear.
I don’t know what happened - tangs aren’t sensitive to copper. The other three fish in the QT still look ok?
Having those 2 fish left in the DT is going to be a real wild card as they can continue to harbor this (unknown) infection.
Jay

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.
I don’t know what happened - tangs aren’t sensitive to copper. The other three fish in the QT still look ok?
Having those 2 fish left in the DT is going to be a real wild card as they can continue to harbor this (unknown) infection.
Jay
Other fish all seem fine. Yeah I’m going to try a fish trap to get the last two fish out then go fallow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back