Kole Tang not eating!?

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Kole Tang a week ago from the LFS to help with some nuisance algae. He seems to be going to town on the rocks and glass however, he won’t eat anything else. I’ve tried pellets, spirulina flake, green algae on clip. No dice. Called LFS since he hasn’t eaten anything I’ve fed, they said they feed everyone in the store brine which is why he wasn’t eating the algae clip and other food. Tried brine mixed with mysis and no go. Not sure what to do he is visibly getting skinnier but refuses to eat anything. Other tank inhabitants include: 2 clowns, Midas blenny, small green chromis, and Rainford goby. Everyone else is eating all the foods and doing well. Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried soaking some food in garlic? Usually it can help entice them. Live blackworms and brine almost always will get fish eating too.
Agree. Red nori seems to be more appealing, but live brine and live blackworms are a good bet for a tang that’s not eating.

Is the fish visibly affected with any spots/dustings? Losing color? Swimming in to powerheads? Hiding from light or hiding more in general? Breathing heavily?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the green algae by putting it on a rock held down with a rubberband, it makes it seem natural to them until they get used to the clip. If he's chowing down on the rocks this may very well work for now

U

User1

View Badges
Nori - rubber band around a rock and toss it in. He may find it if it is already grazing. Another thing is leave a section of glass for him - don't clean it. Back of tank or side, something you are not really going to care about. It will use it has a grazing spot. Other than that just feed your fish like you normally would and it will catch on sooner or later. Koles are pretty hardy but constant grazers - always active.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions very much appreciated! I was using frozen brine and mysis combo can’t find them live. Also, haven’t used garlic in the past how do you do it? What brand do you recommend?

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Red nori seems to be more appealing, but live brine and live blackworms are a good bet for a tang that’s not eating.

Is the fish visibly affected with any spots/dustings? Losing color? Swimming in to powerheads? Hiding from light or hiding more in general? Breathing heavily?

Only visible impact seems to be that he is skinny and getting skinnier. Hiding somewhat and cruising around in and out of rocks and grazing a little.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions very much appreciated! I was using frozen brine and mysis combo can’t find them live. Also, haven’t used garlic in the past how do you do it? What brand do you recommend?
Live brine and blackworms can be sourced online.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my Kole tang about 2 weeks to get comfortable in my display before he started to eat. Before that time he only grazed on the rocks and glass. Give him some time and hopefully he comes around and start eating.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back