KP Aquatics still good to go?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I see on here, it looks like KP Aquatics is one of the best. I'm looking into a Porcupine puffer. I don't care about price (I want a healthy fish), but their prices are great. I've been having a really hard time getting a healthy specimen recently.

Has anyone had good luck with them? They say they keep the fish in medicated tanks. Not sure what that means. I sent them an e-mail. Puffers don't like copper (I don't either), so I will see what they say.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew KP aquatics sold quarantined fish.
they aren't QT.... I was hoping they were, want more fish :)
This is from their website

• Please Note: Any new fish purchased from us or from a local pet store should to be quarantined. All fish from anywhere in the wild can be possible carriers of bacteria and protozoa that can lead to an infection in your system, so we always recommend that you use some sort of quarantine system prior to adding them to your system. If you have a fish only system and can medicate the whole system, you may not need a separate quarantine tank. If you have a reef system that cannot be medicated, a good ultraviolet sterilization system should prevent any kind of disease outbreak. We medicate our system for bacterial infections and protozoans, but because we don’t always hold our fish for long periods of time, there is no way to be sure all the protozoan cysts have been killed. A little bit of prevention will save you lots of trouble down the line.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered fish from them, but I've ordered live rock, gorgonians, and inverts from them and have never been disappointed. I just received an order from them last week that was delayed by UPS but everything arrived alive and in great shape thanks to their packing.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone ordered fish from these guys? pricing is a little better.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they aren't QT.... I was hoping they were, want more fish :)
This is from their website

• Please Note: Any new fish purchased from us or from a local pet store should to be quarantined. All fish from anywhere in the wild can be possible carriers of bacteria and protozoa that can lead to an infection in your system, so we always recommend that you use some sort of quarantine system prior to adding them to your system. If you have a fish only system and can medicate the whole system, you may not need a separate quarantine tank. If you have a reef system that cannot be medicated, a good ultraviolet sterilization system should prevent any kind of disease outbreak. We medicate our system for bacterial infections and protozoans, but because we don’t always hold our fish for long periods of time, there is no way to be sure all the protozoan cysts have been killed. A little bit of prevention will save you lots of trouble down the line.
I saw this page also. He's going into a fowler that I'm currently Peroxide dosing (cured an active crypt outbreak.

I've lost 3 this year in QT. Not sure why, but it's heart breaking.

Here is my thinking. Parasite outbreaks in the wild don't exist. Fish have an immunity of some sort.

They are wild caught, put in medicated water, sold a few weeks later. Where is the chance of infection? I know it's possible, but it seems low.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone ordered fish from these guys? pricing is a little better.

Kind of sounds like the same thing.

Here is what I don't like on the Porcupinefish listing. They ship the small ones from Haiti. They catch the large ones. That's not direct from diver, is it? You don't know what happened in between.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I see on here, it looks like KP Aquatics is one of the best. I'm looking into a Porcupine puffer. I don't care about price (I want a healthy fish), but their prices are great. I've been having a really hard time getting a healthy specimen recently.

Has anyone had good luck with them? They say they keep the fish in medicated tanks. Not sure what that means. I sent them an e-mail. Puffers don't like copper (I don't either), so I will see what they say.
Had any luck with contacting them? I reached out a week ago for some fish but no response.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say that?

I can't speak for them but probably because the fish sold by KP are not QT and that is their preference. If the hobbyist isn't able to or support the equipment or practiced it enough it makes sense. There are a couple reliable vetted vendors for properly QT'd animals if one looks.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for them but probably because the fish sold by KP are not QT and that is their preference. If the hobbyist isn't able to or support the equipment or practiced it enough it makes sense. There are a couple reliable vetted vendors for properly QT'd animals if one looks.
So no actual problems, just saying to quarantine fish.

For what it's worth, my last outbreak came from a very reputable pre-quarantine vendor.

I peroxide dose now.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no actual problems, just saying to quarantine fish.

For what it's worth, my last outbreak came from a very reputable pre-quarantine vendor.

I peroxide dose now.

That is what I'm assuming but I'm not the OP. I've ordered rock and corals from KP and had a great experience. I have not purchased any fish from them.

Hope your day is going well.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

KP is amazing! I get a couple thousand snails and crabs from Phil every year or so. and he graciously donated some gorgonians to the tank I set up at my sons school. great guy all around. Never bought fish but I wouldn't hesitate if I needed any.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP is amazing! I get a couple thousand snails and crabs from Phil every year or so. and he graciously donated some gorgonians to the tank I set up at my sons school. great guy all around. Never bought fish but I wouldn't hesitate if I needed any.

That he is. Small family business to boot.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is on my kitchen table and I'm heading home now. Got one vague response. Not happy with the communication
Awesome, just put an order in for some chalk bass. I'll see if I can setup a qt using an old 10g sump

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back