OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an updated pic. Everything is growing and healthy although I lost the Setosa for some reason a few weeks ago.

I traded the pipe organ because it got too big and I wanted the higher level for acros.

I now have various acros, mushrooms, zoa, chalices, anacro, Leptastrea, various Montipora, lobophyllia, and digitata so this has become my sps/lps tank I guess! .

I'm cycling a smaller tank to move the clowns to and ultimately get an anemone and a few softies.
0cb91397a482fc081ffd6c0f44079eae.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good :-0) . You got some cyano as well. Sorry to hear about the setosa. Mine one is growing real slow .. you know what happened?

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good :-0) . You got some cyano as well. Sorry to hear about the setosa. Mine one is growing real slow .. you know what happened?
No idea, it looked great and was growing. I never moved it or changed anything for months it one day it just bailed on me. Nothing visible to indicate pests, etc...

I get that film on the bed almost daily but my Conch eats it all up pretty quickly except when he buries himself for a few days at a time. Do Conch eat cyano or do you think it's algae?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photo, it looks like cyano. it can be diano (if its more brownish).. hence a type of algae.. but if the conch is eating it up then i think you dont have to worry about it. My biocube had a recurrent cyano issue in its first 1.5 year.. given how fast its appearing I would place my bet on one of those two possible culprits. They will go away as tank matures.

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking setup....do you mind sharing what you have going on back in the sump area?

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking setup....do you mind sharing what you have going on back in the sump area?
Woops sorry I missed this question.
Tunze 9001 skimmer chamber 2. Intank media rack chamber 2 with filter floss and ceramic discs. Heater chamber one. Nano ATO in chamber 3. Nothing else right now in the bsck. I do have an auto doser hooked up as well.

Docjpath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 biocube is 8 months old with a setup very similar to yours, but my tank is an ugly mess with GHA, dinoflagellate issues, and no coral growth. On a positive note, my bonded pair of clown fish and royal gramma think it is paradise. I am 1 step from breaking this tank down and using it as a quarantine tank, especially after seeing your beautiful tank. I have started a 120, hopefully I can learn from all my mistakes on first tank and do better on larger one, or not :)

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March shot . Moving some things around as they grow. I finally got my nitrates up and the corals are booming.

I need a torch or something for the top thst hopefully my clowns will like. They've hosted on the return head and rarely come out if thst corner. [emoji849]

b53b0641069de2608cb2fd8407d249c5.jpg

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken n interest in ornamental shrimp and Started with three sexy shrimp. Still having a hard time finding a Randalls pistol!

Other reef safe suggestions that don't require special diets like harlequin?

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a bullseye pistol shrimp.....they do not pair up with gobies though....I love mine. Here is a pic (not mine) of what they look like. No issues as he doesn't mess with anything on the reef.

6498.jpeg

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My April update. My tank seems pretty stable now and seems to have hit a "maturity" level as all if my corals are growing like crazy and my parameters have stabilized with auto-dosing BRS two part.

A few have asked for the sump chamber setup I use so I'm posting a pic of that as well as my dosing set up.

The sump left to right is tunze nano ATO sensor, middle chamber is tunze 9001 skimmer and InTank media rack with filter floss and some ceramic discs. Right chamber is heater and temperature probe for auto shutoff heater controller.

I'll be moving this spring and hope to get a waterbox tank to transfer in to. Not looking forward to the move but am excited to get a bigger tank!
a4d6c18d0d0e997dcc0bf9bf5bbe3a3e.jpg
f6afaa819ae5c2a9282d14e2e1fad5a9.jpg
71aeecf7076a57dd9b98e662595de5e7.jpg

Docjpath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, very nice tank! I am tired of commenting on how good your tank looks compared to mine, despite almost identical setup, to include in tank media and Tunze skimmer. Kudos on your success, shame on my failures, LOL. I have not started dosing because I still cannot grow anything but green star polyps; shrooms and zoas just die quickly.

What are you doing for lights! I did Daves LED retrofit, running about 40% blues and 15% whites on a 8 hour schedule with 90 minute ramps. I have been thinking about yanking lid and putting an AI prime and better protein skimmer Aquamax HOB 1.5. Probably not needed, but desperate times and all that. I may have too much flow in tank as well, I have a Koralia 565, seemed Ok but shrooms even tucked away seemed to not like flow. Do you run GFO/Carbon or just do water changes?

Keep posting, it gives me inspiration on my tank.

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm running Steve's LED kit at 90% blues peak and 25% white peak. I may have a 1 cup bag of carbon in still, I forget honestly (which means I haven't changed it at least six weeks lol). No GFO or purigen or anything.

I have an MP10 at about 80% and a jebao at about 25% for flow so I doubt that is a problem on your end other than how it's being directed. I have a lot of flow.

My phosphate is on the high side, about .1, and nitrates maybe 15 but I'm not worried about it because everything is thriving and I don't have any algae issues.

If there are any specific issues that you're having I'd be happy to help any way I can! I only learned about reefing through running this tank so my experience is anecdotal but it's working for me.

Docjpath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you are running your lights much higher than I am, maybe that is my problem, too weak with my lights? Your flow is also probably higher than mine, so that can't be it. I run purigen, phosgard and some carbon in bags, but not enough to strip water of nutrients, as I still am battling GHA. I had a few other issues along the way with this tank, primarily Dinoflags, but should have bounced back by now. Did you start with all dry rock and sand? I just used live sand but dry rock. I am having a hard time growing coralline, maybe again light related. Thanks for posting reply, I will take any help I can get.

OP
OP
Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand and some pretty nice live rock from LFS. I had a few bouts of cyano and some turf algea but chemipure fixed the cyano pretty quickly. I rany lighting similar to yours for the first few months but bumping it up over a few weeks to 90 seems to have made my corals extremely happy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back