Kuda seahorses

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody
I am in the process of setting up our first SH tank and about to start cycling it.We are setting it up what the heck rock and plants and while i am waiting for this process i thought i would do some research on the SH that i am getting and that brings me to why im here.I went to our supplier Darren at Reef Secrets here in Australia and he told me he is getting me kudas so im here for advice, any web sites you guys know of and any tricks of the trade you guys might be willing to share all suggestions are greatly accepted by the way great website i check it everyday

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Another seahorse keeper!! :) What size tank are you going with? What equipment? How many seahorses do you plan on getting? Are the seahorses that you are getting captive bred? I strongly recommend captive bred seahorses. There is a link in my signature that will take you to article I did on seahorse keeping. Feel free to ask any questions! Good luck!!

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice welcome seahorsekeeper the tank is 45 gallons i think, cos here in australia we work in litres, anyway its 36"x15"x19" i was thinking a cannister style internal filter filled with bio bones a internal skimmer possibly JNS ws-1 or a hydro slim skimmer and some suitable t5 lights for plant growth but i am here for advice and nothing is set in concrete if you have any suggestion i am happy to here them.Oh and i was thinking 6-8 SH and we also breed our own live brine shrimp constantly for use in our other tank .

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice welcome seahorsekeeper the tank is 45 gallons i think, cos here in australia we work in litres, anyway its 36"x15"x19" i was thinking a cannister style internal filter filled with bio bones a internal skimmer possibly JNS ws-1 or a hydro slim skimmer and some suitable t5 lights for plant growth but i am here for advice and nothing is set in concrete if you have any suggestion i am happy to here them.Oh and i was thinking 6-8 SH and we also breed our own live brine shrimp constantly for use in our other tank .

I use a canister filter in my tank. I run carbon in mine. Do not use any products with ferric oxide in the seahorse tank. Ferric oxide is found in phosphate removers and is not safe for seahorses. You just want to make sure that you keep up on the maintenance of the filter. The skimmer choices look good. I would recommend using a chiller. The max number of horses that I would do in that size tank is 6 even that number is a stretch.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats i have a captive breed seahorse in my softie and zoa frag tank and she is a little doll youll love them

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the info we will start with 4 SH if you think that isnt to much and dump the bio bones do you have any suggestions on a chiller(brand) .Thanks again for the advice and if you doent mind keep it coming

screefer

Coral Hoarderâ„¢
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently keep H. Erectus seahorses and they are very cool and in my experience a little hardier than other types. I did keep the Kudas for a while and they were great as well. Keep up with tank cleanings and you should be good to go. Good luck with your new venture!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the aqua euro 1/10 HP chiller. This works perfectly for me. Like screefer said, good husbandry makes a world of difference when keeping seahorses. I think this is especially true when you are using a canister filter. You need to keep up with the maintenance.

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i have read cleaning is the key, its the reason i chose a smaller tank to start with and not what i would have liked to get my ultimate aim is to get them to breed.Thanks again for the advice im off to research chillers

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope i have the same luck ambrosiozoa our tank tests all good after cycling for 7 weeks and our SH are at our supplier ready for pick up ........so let the fun begin:clap2:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope i have the same luck ambrosiozoa our tank tests all good after cycling for 7 weeks and our SH are at our supplier ready for pick up ........so let the fun begin:clap2:

Woohoo!!! I can't wait to see pics!!! :bigsmile:

o hope so to. does anyone know how to sex them?

It's pretty easy. The males stomach blends in more with its body and the anal fin is less pronounced. The female has a more pronounced anal fin and there stomach has an angle to it much like the edge of a corner. I will get some pics of my female that show that.

Male:
026-Copy.jpg

ambrosiozoa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo!!! I can't wait to see pics!!! :bigsmile:

It's pretty easy. The males stomach blends in more with its body and the anal fin is less pronounced. The female has a more pronounced anal fin and there stomach has an angle to it much like the edge of a corner. I will get some pics of my female that show that.

Male:
026-Copy.jpg
that seahorse is killer!!! what species is that???????? and where can it get some??

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my h. erectus. He does not look like that anymore. His body absorbed the cirri since there is no need for it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back