Kyle’s IM Abyss Build!

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to definitely consider that then once I get water in the tank. I’ll see how my first few acros respond
The absolute best thing you can do is use a PAR meter and see if the PAR is enough in the locations you would like to place your acros. Removes all the guesswork

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute best thing you can do is use a PAR meter and see if the PAR is enough in the locations you would like to place your acros. Removes all the guesswork
Oh for some reason I thought we were talking about the Nero. Yeah, I currently have 2 primes that I’ll be transferring over. Also going to eventually get a hybrid fixture. Par in my current tank maxed out around 300

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little quiet lately but just finished putting the panels on the stand! Now I just gotta caulk and touch up the paint. I cut out the arms for the lights so those should be painted and screwed on this weekend

D7FA4EA5-C04D-47FF-B298-32AE4452C75A.jpeg

As for the tank, I may switch to the Fiji Cube version since the WB is on backorder

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking something mor minimalist. Probably 2-3 islands, one specifically for Zoas. Won’t know for sure until I actually pick out the rock
Would you consider an NSA style? Since you wanna do SPS dominant maybe it'll be best for water flow. Just an idea

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any updates on the canopy and arm?
So I cut the arms on yesterday. I was going to do a canopy but I worried it would be too heavy. Basically just cut two L shaped pieces of plywood. Going to glue and screw then together then screw them to the back of the stand. I plan on hanging the lights from that.

I should have finals pics this weekend

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cut the arms on yesterday. I was going to do a canopy but I worried it would be too heavy. Basically just cut two L shaped pieces of plywood. Going to glue and screw then together then screw them to the back of the stand. I plan on hanging the lights from that.

I should have finals pics this weekend
If you really want a canopy look into making an 80/20 aluminum extrusion frame and wrapping it with wood.

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super familiar with it but I prefer more traditional scapes. I’ve really grown fond of the island style scapes
NSA is a negative space aquascape. I'm in the process of designing something right now. Here's an idea of what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.PNG
    IMG_2773.PNG
    706.4 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA is a negative space aquascape. I'm in the process of designing something right now. Here's an idea of what I mean.
Oh wow that looks nice! That does seem to suit SPS quite well. I wish I had thought of the 80/20 earlier! Once I get my own place though I’ll probably take the arm off and just hang the lights from the ceiling or build a floating canopy

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I caulked the panels today and wow was that disastrous! Getting around the waves was quite the challenge. Going to have some major razor blade work to do and then I’ll have to get it painted. I’ll post a picture once it’s all cleaned up

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stand! I'm jealous of the looks that some people are able to create
I’m happy with how it came out! This is my first carpentry project. Unfortunately the caulk did not come out well so I’m going to have to try and fix it with a razor blade

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to change up the tank because I got an incredible deal on a brand new IM drop off and I’m really digging it! Also picked up a DOS. Hoping to have it on the stand this weekend!
How many gallons?

Back