Labeling Frags?

Stephan Bitterwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

For my research it is critical that I label my frags. How do you keep track of individual frag plugs? Are you concerned about chemicals leeching from markers, glue, or anything like that?
What would you recommend?

Thank you for your help,

Stephan

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many people use permanent market on the underside of the plug. Seems to last a very long time (1 year plus). Never had any issues with leaching chemicals but then again, I didn't have a 20g with 100 frags with market on them :).

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw a diagram to keep things straight when they are in the frag rack. When they are in my display tank I just print out a pic of my whole tank and just write in where each coral is.

OP
OP
Stephan Bitterwolf

Stephan Bitterwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your answers! I looked it up and it would appear that some sharpies are non toxic (the fine point kind). The solvents are the "risky" parts of the marker and the pigments are non-toxic. So I think I will sharpie the underside of dried plugs and then place those in the tanks. Much easier than gluing plastic labels onto the undersides of each plug.

Stephan

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw a diagram to keep things straight when they are in the frag rack. When they are in my display tank I just print out a pic of my whole tank and just write in where each coral is.
I do something very similar and number my pictures where the corals are at. I went so far as to build a basic website to track and share my growth too. Also helps me keep the names on them straight.

It amazes me as they grow you realize how much is misrepresented and sold incorrectly.

I had what I thought and was sold to me as a blue tipped green stag turn bushy with bright green tips. Turned out to be a paletta tri color!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your answers! I looked it up and it would appear that some sharpies are non toxic (the fine point kind). The solvents are the "risky" parts of the marker and the pigments are non-toxic. So I think I will sharpie the underside of dried plugs and then place those in the tanks. Much easier than gluing plastic labels onto the undersides of each plug.

Stephan
Perfect! I'm sure if you let it dry and soak it in RODI first it'll also limit your risk.

Good luck with your study!

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a tiny bit of marine epoxy that you could scribe a number into. I needed to be able to mark wet plugs. I used a pointy knife to pit numbers but in sure a little stamp set with numbers would work well

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sharpie Industrial Ultra Fine top markers (but am switching to VWR lab markers as that particular sharpie is no longer made) to write on the plug as a backup to my identification tracking system. My primary means of identification are RFID chips/tags held to the frag plug via aquarium silicon. (think of the chips/tags used on our cats and dogs.) This has the added benefit of being able to scan the coral into a database (or excel sheet, or anything really)

dogshowgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for asking this question. We are about to teach the high schoolers how to frag and we want the students to write their names on them to see how they do. I like the embossed idea it kinda cool and will look good in the tank over all. So the kids can see the ID from the top, not just name on the bottom. With so many hands in the tank, we were worried our normal grid ID chart wouldn't work.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be the most expensive option if dont have one but if you print your plugs on a 3d printer, can always label them before printing. Or since plastic cut into them with a blade and use an alpha numerical code to label plus a spread sheet. A=acro then a number like example
A1 = acropora tenius.

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should also try to learn and remember what every type of coral looks like. Take photos and print them out if you have to.
I am also guilty of not remembering but im trying to get better.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you just write on the outside of the glass like they do with a neon marker at the fish store?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new ideas since this post? Than from tidal gardens uses an old fashion label gun!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you write on a wet frag plug? Is it safe to transfer many frags onto plugs that are dead or basically not in my sump? I have many plugs in my sump but then again they are wet! Ibought a cheap old school embossing label maker and it broke after I made the first one:( I have a lot of sugical tape. I thought of writing on it and gluing to plug. I doubt that surgical tape woul d have anything toxic on it!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I write on the Dry Frag Plug Stem, with a Black Sharpie. Initials to indicate the Coral. GHS = Green Hollywood Stunner. BN = Birds Nest, SH = Stag Horn, Etc. I haven’t had any problems, it indicates on Sharpie’s Website, they are non-toxic when dry.

BTW, There were a lot of complaints on the Industrial Sharpies, as they would permanently ruin Ceramic and Porcelain Glazed Tile. Also penetrate Anti-Graffiti Paint.

Last edited:
Back