Labout wrasse getting aggressive, will it pass?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My labout wrasse is starting to chase my other fairy wrasses and it seems I be getting worse. It isn't flashing or anything, just chasing them and nipping at them constantly. Is this something that might subside, continue to get worse, or go away? Anybody know any tricks to get it to stop? I was thinking of adding another labout wrasse and hope they just focus on eachother...but if I have to trap it and sell it locally I will as well. Tank is 5 1/2 feet long and 2 feet front to back and about 2 1/2 feet deep.

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll just get worse. I wouldn't get another one in the tank because the established one will hurt or kill the new one then go after the rest of the fairys. I would remove him and place him in another tank for a few weeks. Add him back after the time out and if it continues you may have to remove him altogether.

Fish traps work ok but I find when I need to remove a fish with a bad temper I use a hermit crab hold you can get at Walmart for $6 and I use magnets to hold in place on the glass and fishing line with a weight to close the lid once the fish is in the trap. I'll also add some frozen after not feeding for a day . Here's a link of the video I made a few years ago showing how the fish will go in with no issue.

Feeding time - YouTube

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K thanks, I will catch it tomorrow following your method. I have one of those I modified into an acclimation container I'll use. Do they all get nasty or is it I just pulled the short straw? I've seen people claiming both online...it's a pretty fish but if it is going to get like a sixline then it has to go. What other fairy wrasses are prone to get mean like this besides labout and Scott's? In your opinion, what are the chances it might be different with a timeout and what are the chances I'm better off selling it? I'm heading out of town in about two weeks and can probably find a buyer where i'm heading...

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1387264386.550647.jpg

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K thanks, I will catch it tomorrow following your method. I have one of those I modified into an acclimation container I'll use. Do they all get nasty or is it I just pulled the short straw? I've seen people claiming both online...it's a pretty fish but if it is going to get like a sixline then it has to go. What other fairy wrasses are prone to get mean like this besides labout and Scott's? In your opinion, what are the chances it might be different with a timeout and what are the chances I'm better off selling it? I'm heading out of town in about two weeks and can probably find a buyer where i'm heading...

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1387264386.550647.jpg

I had one that wasn't that bad but I had a big rhomboid male that would keep him in check. I have a male earlei fairy wrasse that has got aggressive with my Johnson male and my anthias. I've also seen the lineatus wrasse get mean. It's 50 / 50 that he changes his temper but he's going to need 3 weeks or more to change. Now if you can sell him then I would just do that and replace him with another fairy.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I'd opt to pull him. Once things degrade to nipping they tend to only get worse. Adding another laboutei would only result in the death of a laboutei.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems he is to the point he would rather chase other wrasses than go in the container or eat...so I guess I'll be tearing the tank apart soon. Thi aggression came on fast out of nowhere, was perfect for a while then in like two or three days has become a terror. It in particular really likes going after my hooded fairy wrasse, which seems to be very passive. My yellow tang will usually break up quarreling, but this guy is to fast. But the hooded does seem to get tired of it and fighting back a little which makes him hastily run away, smallest wrasse must have small wrasse complex.

To make a little but comedic about it, it looks like he is trying to kiss the other wrasses butts.

Last edited:

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to note that my terminal male C. laboutei only chases one fish every now and then, my TM C. bathyphilus. No where near a terror (yet) though. My TM P. attenuatus does far more chasing than my C. laboutei. Other wrasses include a TM C. lubbocki, submale C. lineatus and female/juvi C. jordani. I'm hoping it doesn't get to the point where it needs to be removed...

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He now ha my other fairy wrasses cornered in the container but will not go in...he is just sitting outside of it and when one comes out he goes after it. This thing is just like a sixline wrasse, his only intent is to kill all other wrasses at this point and seems to know in after him.

I have actually developed a very large amount of hatred towards this little jerk. He is stirring up all sorts f trouble, now all of my other fish are showing more aggression towards eachother.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught him using the carrier...took a few days. Thanks for the advice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back