Lamarcks Angel sick :(

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Lamarcks Angel a few days ago and I don’t know how I didn’t notice it’s eye is cloudy/a little swollen. I realized that when I got home and it’s been 3 days, he’s eating well, but I don’t know if I should medicate him or leave him alone. He’s currently in my quarantine, and I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Lamarcks Angel a few days ago and I don’t know how I didn’t notice it’s eye is cloudy/a little swollen. I realized that when I got home and it’s been 3 days, he’s eating well, but I don’t know if I should medicate him or leave him alone. He’s currently in my quarantine, and I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Photos will help and post in fish disease/ illness forum. :)

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not of missed seeing the bad eye in the store before you got it. It may have gotten injured being caught in the fish store.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to get my Flamebacks at around that size :) Gonna try to make a trio

They have better colors than many of the medium sized dwarf angels.
They do! I think only the potters and multicolor look better. I know a lot of people like flame angels but I like the flameback more

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@Zionas
@vetteguy53081

here are two pictures, it’s his right eye
4C6EF05A-8F1C-4948-B085-7148A5F6ED86.jpeg
AB8EEB69-DF9F-4D10-98AD-81B1534C1526.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks mildly infected, but doesn't have severe exophthalmia (popeye) so that's good. I bet it just scraped its eye during capture, as mentioned.

Since it is already in a QT, you could consider dosing it with erythromycin (Maracyn 1) as that has worked for eye issues fairly often. On the other hand, as long as the left eye is fine, and the fish is eating well, you may just want to wait and see. What are you going to do for proactive fluke and protozoan control?

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks mildly infected, but doesn't have severe exophthalmia (popeye) so that's good. I bet it just scraped its eye during capture, as mentioned.

Since it is already in a QT, you could consider dosing it with erythromycin (Maracyn 1) as that has worked for eye issues fairly often. On the other hand, as long as the left eye is fine, and the fish is eating well, you may just want to wait and see. What are you going to do for proactive fluke and protozoan control?

Jay
Thank you! I usually dose with prazipro after my copper treatment is done. Is there anything else I should use? Also can I use maracyn 1 simultaneously with copper? Would it hurt/affect my other fish in quarantine??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn 1 may inhibit beneficial bacteria in some tanks, so monitor ammonia. I use prazipro after copper myself- 3 treatments, 7 days apart.
I don’t recall dosing Maracyn with copper myself, but I don’t know of any issues chemically.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn 1 may inhibit beneficial bacteria in some tanks, so monitor ammonia. I use prazipro after copper myself- 3 treatments, 7 days apart.
I don’t recall dosing Maracyn with copper myself, but I don’t know of any issues chemically.
Jay
Thank you! I only dosed half the copper so I’ll stop that treatment and get the maracyn 1 tomorrow. It shouldn’t hurt the healthy fish right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back