Lamarcks Angel sick :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I finished the five day treatment two days ago and to my surprise his eye is almost all better, I did the water change yesterday like the directions said. Should I do a second five day treatment like it said on the maracyn box since he’s not fully better yet? What’s your recommendation??
IDK - I'm leery of over-use of antibiotics. In this case though, if you have enough meds on hand, I'd go ahead and follow the second dose as said on the box.

jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK - I'm leery of over-use of antibiotics. In this case though, if you have enough meds on hand, I'd go ahead and follow the second dose as said on the box.

jay
Maybe I should let it heal on its own? He is eating well and moving well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does maracyn reduce the oxygen levels? Lamarcks was doing well and now he is breathing hard, no signs of any white spots
Sometimes, Maracy can cause an ammonia rise, so check that. It doesn't directly effect oxygen that I know of. Unfortuneately, there could be a secondary problem causing the rapid breathing in the lamarks....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, Maracy can cause an ammonia rise, so check that. It doesn't directly effect oxygen that I know of. Unfortuneately, there could be a secondary problem causing the rapid breathing in the lamarks....

Jay
Oh man I didn’t know not could cause an ammonia problem, but my diamond goby and lamarcks aren’t doing too well. I added my diamond goby a couple of weeks back and i don’t know if it’s the maracyn but they look fine on the outside other than the heavy breathing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I didn’t know not could cause an ammonia problem, but my diamond goby and lamarcks aren’t doing too well. I added my diamond goby a couple of weeks back and i don’t know if it’s the maracyn but they look fine on the outside other than the heavy breathing
If I recall., you backed off copper to use the antibiotic, right? Maybe velvet is coming into play here? If your ammonia is good and there is good aeration in the tank but the fish are breathing fast, you need to consider that as a possibility.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall., you backed off copper to use the antibiotic, right? Maybe velvet is coming into play here? If your ammonia is good and there is good aeration in the tank but the fish are breathing fast, you need to consider that as a possibility.

Jay
You’re completely right but my quarantine tank had always been running, could the diamond goby have introduced it two weeks ago? Wouldn’t it kill faster, or I don’t know

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re completely right but my quarantine tank had always been running, could the diamond goby have introduced it two weeks ago? Wouldn’t it kill faster, or I don’t know
Typically, velvet kills very fast once it gets started, so start to finish from when you first notice symptoms to death can be just 72 hours. What I don’t know is how long it can take until the symptoms show....
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, it makes sense now, for some reason he was turning pale, so you think it could be brookynella?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, it makes sense now, for some reason he was turning pale, so you think it could be brookynella?
Brooklynella creates more of a mucus coating. However, on Genicanthus angels, with their spiny scales, perhaps it doesn't show up the same way? I've never seen it on one of these angels myself, but I know they can develop it....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella creates more of a mucus coating. However, on Genicanthus angels, with their spiny scales, perhaps it doesn't show up the same way? I've never seen it on one of these angels myself, but I know they can develop it....

Jay
I didn’t see any signs of velvet other than the heavy breathing, couldn’t really see any white spots or anything

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back