Lamarcks Angel sick :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I only dosed half the copper so I’ll stop that treatment and get the maracyn 1 tomorrow. It shouldn’t hurt the healthy fish right?
It is a very safe antibiotic, but it may take 7+ days to show any benefit. I am worried that leaving the new angel at low copper that long will leave it open to protozoan infections during that time. I wish I had more concrete information about dosing maracyn and copper at the same time. I think that the packaging may tell you if coppersafe and maracyn can be used together (since they are made by the same company).

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very safe antibiotic, but it may take 7+ days to show any benefit. I am worried that leaving the new angel at low copper that long will leave it open to protozoan infections during that time. I wish I had more concrete information about dosing maracyn and copper at the same time. I think that the packaging may tell you if coppersafe and maracyn can be used together (since they are made by the same company).

Jay
Oh does this happen? I didn’t know leaving a little copper inside can lead to infections? How is that possible?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh does this happen? I didn’t know leaving a little copper inside can lead to infections? How is that possible?
What happens is just that less than the proper dose of copper provides no protection, so the fish can develop protozoan infections while you aren’t at a full dose.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens is just that less than the proper dose of copper provides no protection, so the fish can develop protozoan infections while you aren’t at a full dose.
Jay
How long do I treat the fish with maracyn 1? After that then I can continue the copper treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they’ve changed, it should be dosed daily for five days. If the box instructions differ, follow those.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help!
@Jay Hemdal jay tomorrow I’m getting the maracyn 1 but today I noticed his eye is a lot worse and there is something kind of coming off of it. I’m really worried do you think it’s a parasite?
4BFAC450-70CD-4496-AA60-B0459D983613.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you use the Api erythromycin, or the liquid one from fritz?
The Fritz liquid product isn't the correct one - that is "Maracyn Oxy". Fritz makes a tablet Maracyn, 8 tabs to a carton. If you can't find that, then the API product is fine.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fritz liquid product isn't the correct one - that is "Maracyn Oxy". Fritz makes a tablet Maracyn, 8 tabs to a carton. If you can't find that, then the API product is fine.

Jay
Thank you. Also if something is kind of coming out of the swollen eye do you think it’s tissue or a parasite? Should I do a freshwater dip?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Also if something is kind of coming out of the swollen eye do you think it’s tissue or a parasite? Should I do a freshwater dip?
Most likely just some tissue, eye parasites (Neobenedenia) cause cloudy eyes, but they stick pretty tight to the eye and don’t rise up.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely just some tissue, eye parasites (Neobenedenia) cause cloudy eyes, but they stick pretty tight to the eye and don’t rise up.
Jay
I started my first treatment today, and I read the instructions but just to clarify that I’m not supposed to do any water changes for the first five days right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first treatment today, and I read the instructions but just to clarify that I’m not supposed to do any water changes for the first five days right?
Correct, the instructions say to just dose it daily for 5 days. However, if the tank shows a need for a water change (high ammonia, etc.) then that need takes precedence.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, the instructions say to just dose it daily for 5 days. However, if the tank shows a need for a water change (high ammonia, etc.) then that need takes precedence.

Jay
Thank you, I’m hoping he’s ok. And I don’t know if this is common for angels but he is swimming a little downward sometimes like pointed to the ground. Any idea?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’m hoping he’s ok. And I don’t know if this is common for angels but he is swimming a little downward sometimes like pointed to the ground. Any idea?
That is seen in genicanthus angels. Two possible causes; excess gas in its gas bladder from problems with collection on deeper reefs (you see this early on) or more commonly, from the fish swallowing air at the surface...make sure the fish doesn’t try to feed at the surface.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is seen in genicanthus angels. Two possible causes; excess gas in its gas bladder from problems with collection on deeper reefs (you see this early on) or more commonly, from the fish swallowing air at the surface...make sure the fish doesn’t try to feed at the surface.
Jay
Does it usually get better?

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
@Jay Hemdal I finished the five day treatment two days ago and to my surprise his eye is almost all better, I did the water change yesterday like the directions said. Should I do a second five day treatment like it said on the maracyn box since he’s not fully better yet? What’s your recommendation??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back