Lanthanum Chloride

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Lanthanum Chloride the same as Lanthanum Chloride heptahydrate? I have found a chemical called Phos-Out but not Sea-Klear which is what people usually use.

(from what I can tell a heptahydrate is a particle that contains seven molecules of water, so sounds ok to me but I am no chemist)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 14.45.05.jpg

From my understanding, it looks like Lanthanum Chloride and seven molecules of water. If that's correct it should be fine to use for removing Po4 from
dry rocks during the cycle (no fish or inverts just salt water and a small amount of the Lanthanum chloride heptahydrate.)

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. It was the heptahydrate that threw me off but just looks like water to me....my school days are long behind me though :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. It was the heptahydrate that threw me off but just looks like water to me....my school days are long behind me though :)

Yep. Just water. It does alter the amount of lanthanum per gram of solid product, but no one is dosing it that critically (or if they are, they are probably wasting effort being ultra precise). :)

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just using it to remove any Po4 from dry rock after an acid and bleach bath, so the dose isn't super critical and it is such strong stuff anyway!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just using it to remove any Po4 from dry rock after an acid and bleach bath, so the dose isn't super critical and it is such strong stuff anyway!

That's definitely a good application for it and having excess is no concern. :)

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last quick question. Can you use the lanthanum whilst cycling the rocks, or will it cause problems with the nitrogen cycle?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last quick question. Can you use the lanthanum whilst cycling the rocks, or will it cause problems with the nitrogen cycle?

Good question. Nitrifying bacteria do need a source of phosphate, and I presume it is possible to drive it too low, but I've never seen any tests that described if excessively low phosphate might slow cycling.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe then it would be better to let the rock cycle and the nitrifying bacteria grow using the phosphate that leaches into the water. After the cycle is complete then run the lanthanum to get the levels down, it shouldn't kill the bacteria I hope, but remove the phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe then it would be better to let the rock cycle and the nitrifying bacteria grow using the phosphate that leaches into the water. After the cycle is complete then run the lanthanum to get the levels down, it shouldn't kill the bacteria I hope, but remove the phosphates.

Folks usually blast the rock with lanthanum first. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back