Laptops for blackfriday 2019

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my laptop recently became a brick, so I am in the market for a new laptop. Was thinking of getting a 2 in 1, but its probably not worth the extra cost (most of them are over 3 lbs, and honestly too heavy to use as a tablet). So far I found a few that are decent. Links below. I don't game or anything crazy on them, so I probably don't need much. Any suggestions, links, insider info.....?

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a good deal at Best Buy with one of their “open box” laptops.
You can ask the store associate to open it up and take a look at. Comes with the standard return policy and warranty, same as if you are buying new. The laptop I bought was brand new and has worked flawlessly.

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a good deal at Best Buy with one of their “open box” laptops.
You can ask the store associate to open it up and take a look at. Comes with the standard return policy and warranty, same as if you are buying new. The laptop I bought was brand new and has worked flawlessly.
I am heavily leaning on refurbished, using the same rational.

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things to consider when buying the right laptop, like CPU, GPU, RAM, etc... so I'll help as much by simplifying. Hope it helps.

GPU: If you're not gaming or doing anything intensive graphically, you don't need a discrete (separate) GPU. So your options are not bad and you're cutting a lot of costs. The Dell has one but it's so old that it would not be an advantage, in my opinion.

But...

STORAGE: I think most people know what it is, but when dealing with laptops/computers, there are two options: HDD vs SSD. I think it's the most important out of all. HDD is older and cheaper, but SSD are unbeatable in terms of upgrade. No matter how experienced you are with computers, changing from HDD to SSD is the greatest jump you can do. It's like using an ATO, automatic feeder, doser, DC pumps, etc... all combined versus all manual. The Dell and Acer both have HDD, so I would not recommend them. The ASUS has SSD (eMMC) but the amount of storage is 64GB, which is less than smartphones nowadays. The But HDD is fine if you didn't experience SSDs yet. And you can always upgrade your hard drive if you want to by opening the case, buying SSD, and installing.

CPU: Basically, it's the processing/brain of the computer. Nowadays, even the standard CPUs are good enough for browsing internet, watching videos, editing documents, etc. So I would suggest anything on the newer side, as it will satisfy your needs. The last one (Dell) starts is i7-4510U, which is the higher model of that year i3<i5<i7, but we're in the 9000s, so that one is like 5 years old now I believe. So i3, i5, i7 starting with 8xxx will be my suggestion. The Acer is i3-8130 (lower tier of that year but more than good enough for basic applications), but much more recent. Intel made many improvements in the 8000s, so anything starting with 8 or 9 will be best. The Chromebook is M3, which is a step below the i3, i5, i7, but it is good enough for your applications, but will slow down when you do higher intensive processes.

CPU Comparison Link: CPU Comparison

RAM: It's similar to storage, but just for how much it can store at that moment, unlike the storage for videos, files, pictures, etc. For example, Google Chrome requires RAM to keep all the pages you opened available to you, so you can switch back and forth. If you're not gaming, then I think 8GB is more than enough for you. The Dell is 16GB, Acer is 6GB, and ASUS is 4GB. Older generations have slower performance, but that's going into too much detail.

My thoughts: None of them really seem like good deals. One is older, one has very limited storage, and have HDD. You can get so many better laptops, even 2 in 1s with better specs at a lower price.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things to consider when buying the right laptop, like CPU, GPU, RAM, etc... so I'll help as much by simplifying. Hope it helps.

GPU: If you're not gaming or doing anything intensive graphically, you don't need a discrete (separate) GPU. So your options are not bad and you're cutting a lot of costs. The Dell has one but it's so old that it would not be an advantage, in my opinion.

But...

STORAGE: I think most people know what it is, but when dealing with laptops/computers, there are two options: HDD vs SSD. I think it's the most important out of all. HDD is older and cheaper, but SSD are unbeatable in terms of upgrade. No matter how experienced you are with computers, changing from HDD to SSD is the greatest jump you can do. It's like using an ATO, automatic feeder, doser, DC pumps, etc... all combined versus all manual. The Dell and Acer both have HDD, so I would not recommend them. The ASUS has SSD (eMMC) but the amount of storage is 64GB, which is less than smartphones nowadays. The But HDD is fine if you didn't experience SSDs yet. And you can always upgrade your hard drive if you want to by opening the case, buying SSD, and installing.

CPU: Basically, it's the processing/brain of the computer. Nowadays, even the standard CPUs are good enough for browsing internet, watching videos, editing documents, etc. So I would suggest anything on the newer side, as it will satisfy your needs. The last one (Dell) starts is i7-4510U, which is the higher model of that year i3<i5<i7, but we're in the 9000s, so that one is like 5 years old now I believe. So i3, i5, i7 starting with 8xxx will be my suggestion. The Acer is i3-8130 (lower tier of that year but more than good enough for basic applications), but much more recent. Intel made many improvements in the 8000s, so anything starting with 8 or 9 will be best. The Chromebook is M3, which is a step below the i3, i5, i7, but it is good enough for your applications, but will slow down when you do higher intensive processes.

CPU Comparison Link: CPU Comparison

RAM: It's similar to storage, but just for how much it can store at that moment, unlike the storage for videos, files, pictures, etc. For example, Google Chrome requires RAM to keep all the pages you opened available to you, so you can switch back and forth. If you're not gaming, then I think 8GB is more than enough for you. The Dell is 16GB, Acer is 6GB, and ASUS is 4GB. Older generations have slower performance, but that's going into too much detail.

My thoughts: None of them really seem like good deals. One is older, one has very limited storage, and have HDD. You can get so many better laptops, even 2 in 1s with better specs at a lower price.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know a lot of this stuff.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep an eye out on staples ads. I picked up a lenovo laptop s340 with 8gb ram, 256gb ssd for $350 two weeks ago. it has windows 10 and a backlit keyboard. im a mac guy but my nephew needed a computer for college.

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to buy prior to black Friday, that a lot of places are trying to make room, and may have better deals.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to buy prior to black Friday, that a lot of places are trying to make room, and may have better deals.

What I’ve noticed for Black Friday deals as far as technology goes is low-end quality products for sale.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your price range? There have been some good deals the last week on thin light weight laptops but you have to pay for that luxury. What size screen do you want? Do you want HD or 4k? Do you want a touch screen? Do you want to be able to charge it thru a usb-c port?

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your price range? There have been some good deals the last week on thin light weight laptops but you have to pay for that luxury. What size screen do you want? Do you want HD or 4k? Do you want a touch screen? Do you want to be able to charge it thru a usb-c port?
$500 and under. That’s stuff is cool, but not super necessary

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking as someone who sales laptops (works at Best Buy), there can be some great deals on black friday for laptops but be careful of the ones that are extremely cheap/discounted, like a $500 for like $200, the laptop is not meant to last, cheapest parts

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking as someone who sales laptops (works at Best Buy), there can be some great deals on black friday for laptops but be careful of the ones that are extremely cheap/discounted, like a $500 for like $200, the laptop is not meant to last, cheapest parts
What would be your suggestions regarding brands, and price ranges for quality?

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Asus all make great laptops. usually suggest anything in the $600-$800 as they are built a lot better, can be some great open box deals as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back