Laptops for blackfriday 2019

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deals mentioned above are good, particularly the first one, as I consider screen resolution very important, so look for resolutions of 1920x1080 (Full HD) or above if you want crisp and clear pictures. It's like standard glass vs low-iron glass tanks. If you are not in a hurry, you can wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday, but if you are in a hurry and want to buy now, the ones that caught my eyes were the following:

Base your future purchase on these and compare the specifications and price.

Asus VivoBook 14Lenovo Ideapad 330sMicrosoft Surface GoLenovo IdeaPad S340
Price$250$329$399$460
Size15.6141015.6
CPURyzen 3 3200URyzen 5
2500U
Intel Pentium
4415Y
Intel i5
8265U
Storage128GB SSD256GB SSD128GB256GB
RAM4GB8GB8GB8GB
Screen Resolution1920x1080 (FullHD)1920x1080 (FullHD)1800x1200
(FullHD)
1920x1080 (FullHD)
Weight3.141.153.96
TouchNoNoYesNo

Similar laptops are available in other stores, and they price match other stores most of the time, so if you prefer a specific store, just ask for a price match and they'll probably do it for you. Of course, some deals could be better at Black Friday, while sometimes the sales before could be better.

Additional things to consider:
-Battery Life
-Back-lit keyboard
-Ports (USB-C, HDMI, ethernet, etc)
-Intel vs AMD (Ryzen)
-Screen ( IPS (glossy) vs TN (matte) )
-Webcam

People like the Surface because it's light and small, but the additional cost that comes if you buy the keyboard and pen add up quickly. So look for bundle deals if you plan on buying that. I've seen the bundle of Surface, keyboard, and pen come down to the $500 range few times.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful buying "Black Friday Laptops" without first playing around with them. I bought a Dell online last year, but discovered the touchpad is buggy - nothing like any Dell laptop I've ever owned in the past.

So, we went with Macbook Pros this year from Best Buy. They were $300 off last weekend, and the salesman said they would be running that special again.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take a look on Bhphotovideo.com, sign up for there newsletter, they always have great deals on laptops going on and I'm willing to bet black friday deals will be no exception.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joseserrano this just popped into my email if you're still looking....

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another if you have a bit of a bigger budget now

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually 3 types of storage technically, there's two types of 'ssd' there's the old 2.5 inch SSD's that run on SATA and then the newer NVME's which are SSD's that have a higher bandwidth via the PCIE 3.0/4.0. If you get most newer midrange or better laptops they will be of the NVME type which is lighter and smaller (about the size of a stick of bubblegum) vs the older 2.5 inch SSD's.

Edit: there's technically a fourth: hybrids (mini SSD's for buffering on a HD)

Your choice of laptop is going to come down to a few things - what you are using it for, price, and storage.

My word of advice is, if this is your main home computer get a minimum of 16GB ram, 4 core with 8 threads, and an SSD. Further, if you game at all, look at an ultrabook as they are quite light and extremely powerful. I can't make any specific recommendations for black friday but if you need technical advice I'd be more than happy to help via PM.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further, if you game at all, look at an ultrabook as they are quite light and extremely powerful. I can't make any specific recommendations for black friday but if you need technical advice I'd be more than happy to help via PM.

While the OP has already got his laptop needs covered I'm curious about your recommendation of an Ultrabook for gaming purposes? Most Ultrabooks fall short in the graphics department for the vast majority of games out there. Care to elaborate?

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the OP has already got his laptop needs covered I'm curious about your recommendation of an Ultrabook for gaming purposes? Most Ultrabooks fall short in the graphics department for the vast majority of games out there. Care to elaborate?

Certainly, look at the Max Q based laptops from the likes of Asus, MSI, Acer or Razer with a 20 series. I recommend a 2070 unless you absolutely need to go higher as they start to get very pricey and dollar/performance isn't there.

There is another option as well that most people don't consider and really wasn't a viable option until Thunderbolt 3 due to bandwidth which is an external graphics card. Something like the link below. There is a performance penalty though as it's about 20% less effective than the native card in a tower.

Either way true gaming shouldn't be done on a laptop unless you absolutely need the mobility. You will always be sacrificing performance due to thermals and lower wattage chips.

OP
OP
joseserrano

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to not go with my what I thought was a good deal due to the unit using older parts. Here are a few new options. Tell me what you guys think? Any direction is appreciated. Having a hard time with these guys only having minor differences

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...arm-and-luminous-gold/6364560.p?skuId=6364560

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...d-drive-platinum-gray/6350523.p?skuId=6350523
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-...me-green-paint-finish/6364574.p?skuId=6364574

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-I...GB-Storage-Platinum-Grey-81FB00HKUS/273186587

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Ryzen Lenovo's don't look bad at all.

I'd recommend most of these just depends on cost and any extra features like touch screen etc.

I have one of the first gen x360's from HP and the thing is a freaking tank. Don't know how many times I've dropped it myself and it has nothing more to show for it but a small dent in the frame and no issues with the monitor itself.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a 2nd gen ryzen (third gen isn't available in notebooks yet). It's also a 6 core/12 thread processor and a dedicated graphics card. So it has a few leg ups compared to the 1st gen (lower TDP, more cores, and faster base and boost clock speed). Having a dedicated graphics card means you could play games at a higher setting than the other one and get more reasonable FPS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back