Large air pocket being created in main drain tubing

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last month or so my main tube that drains into my sump is getting a large air pocket inside of it, throwing off my levels in my return chamber. It has happened repeatedly. The only way I can "burp" it is to shut off my return.... Let the drain stop draining, then start the return pump up again.

What would be the cause of that?

OP
OP
Mickie

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to excuse the crude Photoshop. I have a Herbie setup. The areas I marked are where I get air pockets...

The ONLY thing I have changed in the last two months are where my power heads aim. I have more surface agitation to allow my tank to cool. Could that cause air to become trapped after it falls into the overflow?
20190813_002350.jpeg
20190813_002414.jpeg

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because the hose dips down and rises back up creating a trap , the air has nowhere to go. You’ll have to run the hose so it’s constantly downhill.

OP
OP
Mickie

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because the hose dips down and rises back up creating a trap , the air has nowhere to go. You’ll have to run the hose so it’s constantly downhill.
What would cause that now though? This particular tank has been running for 2 years with no problems before?

OP
OP
Mickie

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I totally get what you're saying, I may have to adjust it

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I had a similar issue. turned out my drain into the sump was too far down. My drain was probably 6" below the sump water line. I cut my drain so that it was only about 1" below the sump water line and my problem was solved.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause that now though? This particular tank has been running for 2 years with no problems before?
Well it’s vinyl hose it could of shifted over time , just seems like a trap issue. One other thing is check the end of your hose for any obstructions.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. turned out my drain into the sump was too far down. My drain was probably 6" below the sump water line. I cut my drain so that it was only about 1" below the sump water line and my problem was solved.
Exactly what he said is most likely gonna solve it

OP
OP
Mickie

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both makes a lot of sense. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see if I can't adjust both the angle and the amount of tubing going into my sump. Thank you!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back