Large Angel Growth Rates

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure it varies but does anyone have a rough estimate for how long it takes the larger angelfish pomacanthus genus to grow to adult size?

For instance if i bought a 1-2” juvenile how long until it was 4-5” and then 7-8”, 1’ etc

Species interested in mostly Koran, Emperor, Majestic

Also would pomacanthus juveniles fight with dwarf angels if introduced at same time?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure it varies but does anyone have a rough estimate for how long it takes the larger angelfish pomacanthus genus to grow to adult size?

For instance if i bought a 1-2” juvenile how long until it was 4-5” and then 7-8”, 1’ etc

Species interested in mostly Koran, Emperor, Majestic

Also would pomacanthus juveniles fight with dwarf angels if introduced at same time?
I would highly recommend reading this if you are looking at getting an angel.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/fish
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/fish

I've thought about getting one in the past, but I realize my 187g would adversely impact their health within a year or two and I have no immediate plans for an upgrade. Until I get a large system, I'm sticking with the Dwarf angels.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that affect growth in fish; tank size, food, tank mates, water temperature, water quality,etc. Out of the three angels you listed the Majestic is slightly slower grower and will max out smaller than the Koran and Emperor. I had a Majestic for about 14 years in a 125 and it stopped growing at 8 inches. My 2 inch Emperor reached 8 inches in about 4 years. I re-homed him to a store at that size. I have had dwarf angels with large pomacanthus angels without any problems, but tank size and having multiple caves of variable size will matter. Like Brew12 said, read as much as you can before you buy one for a pet.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies, I have had a 2” juvenile imperator go to 6” and sub adult colors in a year. The one I have now has taken two years and is just now changing at 5”

U

User1

View Badges
Not a large angel but the comment about feeding, tank size, etc I think is pretty close to accurate. I added a 3" if that Lt. Tang about 2 months ago and it is now pushing 6" easy with a lot of girth. It eats everything and is in constant movement. I wasn't expecting that growth so quick but maybe it will slow down. Not apples to apples I know - just found the part about growth similar.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this little guy at 2".
We'll see how quickly it grows. Very active and good eater. I'm not surprised to hear it can go from 2" to 6" in a year with the eating habit I've seen so far.

15d5d77b-2333-40dc-bc41-2ec306009cc7-jpeg.771744

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that affect growth in fish; tank size, food, tank mates, water temperature, water quality,etc. Out of the three angels you listed the Majestic is slightly slower grower and will max out smaller than the Koran and Emperor. I had a Majestic for about 14 years in a 125 and it stopped growing at 8 inches. My 2 inch Emperor reached 8 inches in about 4 years. I re-homed him to a store at that size. I have had dwarf angels with large pomacanthus angels without any problems, but tank size and having multiple caves of variable size will matter. Like Brew12 said, read as much as you can before you buy one for a pet.

Thank you. I'm basically stuck between getting a 90 and a 125 and I am looking into the type of fish I could keep in a 125 (6ft long) comfortably compared to a 4ft long 90g. Its more expensive but Im trying to weigh the cost with the type of fish i would like to keep. Really love some of the larger angels so was hoping to see if anyone has kept a juvenile in a 125 for a considerable length of time (4-5 yrs) before needing to upgrade

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back