Large Aquarium stand help needed

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on picking up a Planet Aquarium 310 gallon glass 96.5" x 30.5" x 25" tank, and looking into an aluminum style stand like from Framing Tech. Question is how should I build the shelf for the sump and the top of the stand. The dimensions make it difficult to use plywood unless I use two pieces. Should I put some foam like the kind they carry at BRS on top of the plywood? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Planet and ask them directly.

I have their 130g rimless tank, and my stand was built with a 1” plywood top with a 1/4” neoprene sheet over it. For a tank that size I imagine they will tell you that the stand has to support the entire bottom of the tank over its entire span.

I don’t see any harm with having to use 2 pieces to support the whole span of the tank, but I would use two layers of 1/2” plywood with the joints staggered.

Make sure to use MARINE-GRADE plywood if you don’t want to have to rebuild the stand in a couple of years!

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the dimensions, I'm guessing that is one of their standard Mega Matrix tanks (I'm expecting the 84.5" version to show up any week now)? If that is the case, the tank comes with a frame so the bottom of it does not rest on the stand, only the outer frame. As such, it will not care if there is a plywood sheet under the whole thing and it is suggested that you do not use a foam pad under it.

But as @TexanCanuck says, give them a call or email them for a direct answer.

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I got from PA -

"Thank you for your inquiry. We use a sheet of 3/4" hardwood plywood on the tops of all of our stands. From there, neoprene or foam is optional. Please do note that our warranty is 5 years when our tanks are used with our stands. Without, the warranty is 30 days."

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back