Large budget dc skimmers

jmp103086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendations on budget DC skimmers for 220g FOWLR tank? So far aquamaxx hasa couple offerings that would work like the DFC-280 and icecap has the K3-200. All can be had when shopping for deals between $300-$400.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendations on budget DC skimmers for 220g FOWLR tank? So far aquamaxx hasa couple offerings that would work like the DFC-280 and icecap has the K3-200. All can be had when shopping for deals between $300-$400.
I would go with a Simplicity 320.

OP
OP
J

jmp103086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a Simplicity 320.
I like the simplicity and read good things but I would need the 540 I think. The 320 is only rated for 160g heavy bio load

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this all depends on how heavy you expect your bioload to be. If you aren't sure then I would lean towards the smaller skimmer. A small skimmer will still skim if there is an extra heavy bioload but a large skimmer will stop skimming if there are not enough surfactants to build the foam head.

I totally get it if you know you are going to have a heavy bioload. I have 7 tangs plus some other fish in my 200-gallon and I need a very large skimmer.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two. Two skim better than one and can be cheaper. I would look for old bodies and put Sicce PSK or Tunze Hydrofoamer pumps on them. The pumps don't need to be DC, but I guess that they can be if you want that.

Not all skimmer are the same. Cheap ones are not always worth it - get a good pump and proven body.

For example, I can install a pair of older ASM G4 skimmers with new Sicce PSK pumps that will destroy the output of anything that BubbleKing, Reef Octopus or anybody else makes.

IME, good skimmer always skim if there is stuff to get out.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back