Large Glass Chip/Chunk in Top Corner

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across a good deal on an Innovative Marine 30L. It has a pretty large chunk missing on the top right corner. Seller said he got it with the chunk missing and has had it set up for over a year with no leaks and no spreading. Would probably fill with clear epoxy or silicone. Do y'all think this would be cause for structural concern or no since its at the top of the tank? Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I hadn't seen any threads with a chunk missing as large as this one.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/upqEv81ByKCnzHoPA

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across a good deal on an Innovative Marine 30L. It has a pretty large chunk missing on the top right corner. Seller said he got it with the chunk missing and has had it set up for over a year with no leaks and no spreading. Would probably fill with clear epoxy or silicone. Do y'all think this would be cause for structural concern or no since its at the top of the tank? Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I hadn't seen any threads with a chunk missing as large as this one.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/upqEv81ByKCnzHoPA
If it were me, I would have a glass person cut a square bit of glass twice the size of the chip and silicone that on the inside of the tank to reinforce that front pane. I would not use it without reinforcing this area as the integrity of the margins of that chip are somewhat structurally compromised.
It better be a rocking deal!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photos here: https://
Scratch that it did not work for me

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh it would have to be a really good deal (free?) And I would have to be on the tightest of budgets. It's probably fine. But how much is the gamble worth? If you fill it with coral, how much will you lose if there is a catastrophic failure and the thing comes apart. What about damage to your house?

Honestly I'd save money by buying other gear used.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back