large tanks from glasscages com?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe,

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know you could order Ghost Overflows from Reef Savvy from you guys?
Sorry. I don't believe I was very clear on my response. My fault. We have all the most commonly used third- party overflow templates and can prep your build to support the overflow of your choice. I hope that helps.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages maybe you can help me understand why you only offer a 90 day seam leak guarantee. To me this seems like a lack of confidence in your builds. I don't want to sound condescending or anything, and I have spent A LOT of time browsing your site. But I have a VERY hard time purchasing a system that is only guaranteed for 90 days. I am just curious what the reasoning is.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi joe i'm in,cannot ,tell you who i am here,willing to take a call tomorrow?,almost 100% sure you know of me thanks

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages I am in the middle of the road between glass and acrylic. Acrylic because of the quote I got, glass because of the quote I got from you guys :)
But I am little bit concerned about feedback you got from people here. I understand and appreciate adjusting to the market and you decided to made changes in the company. But those changes were made few months ago and I haven't found many opinions since then, good nor bad.
I am the customer, I pull the trigger and pay you. We are all in the position to demand at least decent quality and a product which just works as designed. If you guys were local for me then I would not think twice and just make a purchase but its a 9hr of driving for me so just in case I cannot call you and ask to stop by. In my case tank has to be shipped and what I can see in the warranty is little bit disturbing:

So if the shipping company broke it basically I pay for damage.

90% here build their stands. The standard in most cases is much way better then "professional" because people want to have the best stand and they mostly tripple safety factors. Marineland for instance has a set with stand and those stands are tiny for 75g tanks. So just in case, 90% of us are out of warranty.

Worst case scenario is I miss something during the post shipping inspection or it leaks. Then I need to ship it back to you for around $350 and pay another $350 to ship it to me again?

Please don't get me wrong, I just find a big tanks a huge financial challenge for me and I cannot afford to get it wrong. I am not saying things are going wrong but they can and then the customer has a problem. few hundred pounds, 8 feet long problem. And ****** wife :)

I read and watched youtube videos about acrylic tanks and they are not that bad if people care about them, buff them once a while. If it was 50g tank I would not think long and just go to Petco for $50 glass tank but 240g is a big deal, it is a long term commitment and a risk for $$$ we put in our tanks in time and for the house itself.

dang, if there was only one type of tanks, it would be much easier choice :)

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages I am in the middle of the road between glass and acrylic. Acrylic because of the quote I got, glass because of the quote I got from you guys :)
But I am little bit concerned about feedback you got from people here. I understand and appreciate adjusting to the market and you decided to made changes in the company. But those changes were made few months ago and I haven't found many opinions since then, good nor bad.
I am the customer, I pull the trigger and pay you. We are all in the position to demand at least decent quality and a product which just works as designed. If you guys were local for me then I would not think twice and just make a purchase but its a 9hr of driving for me so just in case I cannot call you and ask to stop by. In my case tank has to be shipped and what I can see in the warranty is little bit disturbing:

So if the shipping company broke it basically I pay for damage.

90% here build their stands. The standard in most cases is much way better then "professional" because people want to have the best stand and they mostly tripple safety factors. Marineland for instance has a set with stand and those stands are tiny for 75g tanks. So just in case, 90% of us are out of warranty.

Worst case scenario is I miss something during the post shipping inspection or it leaks. Then I need to ship it back to you for around $350 and pay another $350 to ship it to me again?

Please don't get me wrong, I just find a big tanks a huge financial challenge for me and I cannot afford to get it wrong. I am not saying things are going wrong but they can and then the customer has a problem. few hundred pounds, 8 feet long problem. And ****** wife :)

I read and watched youtube videos about acrylic tanks and they are not that bad if people care about them, buff them once a while. If it was 50g tank I would not think long and just go to Petco for $50 glass tank but 240g is a big deal, it is a long term commitment and a risk for $$$ we put in our tanks in time and for the house itself.

dang, if there was only one type of tanks, it would be much easier choice :)
Lost66

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback. Much appreciated. As for what you decide to do next, the choice you make will be the right choice for you.

Most likely the best way to work through your thoughts is a conversation. So hard to email, text or blog on topics with great detail so I will do my best.

1, Opinions shared following changes from a few months ago. Typical build is about 4 weeks and it takes time for the reviews to reflect adjustments in such a short time period. I do know that the recent reviews and opinions have improved. Improved greatly. We are focused on customer satisfaction. The reviews after October 2019 on R2R, google and Facebook reflect our focus on you.

2, You share that you demand at least decent quality. That’s not good enough for me. I don’t want to release anything from our facility with at least decent quality. No way. We have implemented electronic process mapping and Quality Assurance check points during the building process. This ensure a quality well above decent. That’s a great thing. I am proud of that.

3, Shipping. If the product is damaged by the shipping company. The shipment should be rejected. All shipment are insured and the product will be replaced. It’s really that simple. If you believe you should pay for the damage. I am sorry you have that perception. If I was the customer, I wouldn’t want to pay for the damage either. So you will not. Reject the shipment.

4, Stands, this is not so easy. Some build better stands than a manufacture and some don’t. Some manufactures….. well…. the hard part is there are really no published standards. All I can share is that we will continue to listen and strive to do the right thing.

5, if you miss something or the tank leaks…. We will deal with your challenge with respect and professionalism. We have done this and will continue to do the same. We deal with challenges.

6, Big tanks and the financial part. This is a journey. By no means is this a sprint. This is a journey of love and passion. Things will go great and there will be challenges. How do you deal with both? That determines character. That’s what I want our organization to be known for going forward.

7, Options. So many options. Double edged sword on that one. Options allow for choice. Moreover we are listing and offering to create new choices based on new requests. This is just fun and innovative. Let’s grow together!

Well, I am thankful the opportunity to share and glad you shared as well. If we get the opportunity to talk that would be great. If not, that’s ok too. Let’s make this journey fun and support each other with our passion to learn and help each other.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages maybe you can help me understand why you only offer a 90 day seam leak guarantee. To me this seems like a lack of confidence in your builds. I don't want to sound condescending or anything, and I have spent A LOT of time browsing your site. But I have a VERY hard time purchasing a system that is only guaranteed for 90 days. I am just curious what the reasoning is.
Great questions. I don't take that as condescending at all.

How much of a warranty are you looking for? And this is a real question. How can we help each other?

Yes, our standard warranty is 90 days. We warranty against leaks, glass defects and quality. If the quality looks good, tank doesn’t leak and the glass has no defects, the likelihood of those items changing after 90 days is slim. Will we support you, for sure. This also allows us to be very competitive. Our improvements recently only make the quality better. We also constantly over build our tanks.

Here are some of the things we can’t control.

• How the tank is handled?
  • How the tank is setup?
  • Tank leveled?
  • Multiple tank moves?
  • Date of tank filling?
  • Pad used underneath the tank. Is it Aquarium grade or suggested pad?
  • Tank alterations?
  • Seam meddling?
  • Euro-bracing meddling?
We have a strong desire to do the right thing while maintaining quality and price integrity.

I hope this helps with your question. Always open to a discussion.

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions. I don't take that as condescending at all.

How much of a warranty are you looking for? And this is a real question. How can we help each other?

Yes, our standard warranty is 90 days. We warranty against leaks, glass defects and quality. If the quality looks good, tank doesn’t leak and the glass has no defects, the likelihood of those items changing after 90 days is slim. Will we support you, for sure. This also allows us to be very competitive. Our improvements recently only make the quality better. We also constantly over build our tanks.

Here are some of the things we can’t control.

• How the tank is handled?
  • How the tank is setup?
  • Tank leveled?
  • Multiple tank moves?
  • Date of tank filling?
  • Pad used underneath the tank. Is it Aquarium grade or suggested pad?
  • Tank alterations?
  • Seam meddling?
  • Euro-bracing meddling?
We have a strong desire to do the right thing while maintaining quality and price integrity.

I hope this helps with your question. Always open to a discussion.
im very impressed ill be calling you today. didnt see your email until late, didnt want to interrupt dinner or anything

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually make our stands, but I had never done a straight plywood build. 93 gallons is a heck of a disaster!

OP
OP
inletfish

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make our stands, but I had never done a straight plywood build. 93 gallons is a heck of a disaster!

i always frame with 2x4 so it transfers the weight directly to the floor then put a plywood skin on it. never sandwich plywood between framing. i dont know if i could trust a ply only build

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i always frame with 2x4 so it transfers the weight directly to the floor then put a plywood skin on it. never sandwich plywood between framing. i dont know if i could trust a ply only build
I've never done anything for a rimless tank. This build is our dream tank. I still get to trim it out and do the fun stuff.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages Thanks for your response. After reading and observing big tanks and who picked what I decided I will go with glass. I have never had an issue with glass (first aquarium like 25 years ago) and I will trust my hunch here. I will reach out to you in a few weeks by email to purchase my dream tank.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 tanks from Glasscages over the past 10-12 years and all have been well built. The largest was a 90 Gallon Rimless Cube.

@Joe Glass Cages do you guys still travel up to any of the reptile shows in Whiteplains/Westchester, NY to display? That is where I used to always meet the truck for pick up lol.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 tanks from Glasscages over the past 10-12 years and all have been well built. The largest was a 90 Gallon Rimless Cube.

@Joe Glass Cages do you guys still travel up to any of the reptile shows in Whiteplains/Westchester, NY to display? That is where I used to always meet the truck for pick up lol.
Thats a great question. We haven't in some time now. The plan is to get back to that. Will not be in the very near future. it is the plan. Thanks for asking.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking seriously at them, I personally read more than several instances where some started leaking after 3-4 years in small spots. When you look at the silicone and how it's done I feel the way they are made makes lots of room for error or failure down the road. I have this fear with large tanks in general which is why I went acrylic for my large tank.

The thing you need to make sure you think about, the tank is all in. When I say all in, I mean it's the foundation for everything. The years you spend maturing the tank, the sand (if applicable), the rock, the balance, etc all start inside this tank. Are you ok with saving $1,000 when 3-5 years from now you may have $5,000+ worth of corals/rock/fish invested only to see the tank you saved money on leak? Big tanks are fun, they are not as hard to maintain but when things go south fast you realize really quickly that it's much, much harder to fix and WAAAAY more expensive than a smaller tank.

This research was done back in 2015 and I believe they have a whole new company vision and change in leadership so this may all be old outdated information.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a Glass Cages tank so I don't have a dog in this race. I will say this.... I'm familiar with the fact that they have failures. Just like I'm familiar that Aqueon tanks are known for having failures. I try to keep in perspective the number of tanks these companies are selling every year compared to the number of complaints. Unfortunately, it is human nature to be vocal about complaints and quiet about stuff when it just works.
If a company like Glass Cages sells 10x as many tanks as a smaller provider you would expect to see 10x the number of complaints even if quality was equal.
For me, I will consider Glass Cages for a new system in the future. I'm a big fan of Adam from @Battlecorals and he uses their tanks for his big grow out systems. To me, that says something.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 48 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back