Larger clownfish attacking smaller clownfish PLEASE HELP!!!

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had a 5 gallon tank for about 1.5 years and a pair of clownfish for about 8 months and they got along fine until the last 2 days. the bigger one is significantly bigger than the smaller. i saw the bigger one start nipping at the fins of the smaller one then a couple minutes later i see the bigger one bite hard onto the smaller one and whip him around while still biting on to it. afraid that the larger would kill the other, i put the smaller into a bucket with saltwater, a small piece of live rock, and a small filter. what’s happening and what should i do??? someone please help!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone from #reefsquad provide some help?

Clown behavior isn't my forte but hopefully we can get some eyes on this fairly quickly.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably need more space. 5 Gallons is probably too small for the pair in my opinion. I had a pair of frostbites in 5.5 gallons and after a few months they started to turn on each other. Once I put them in my display they met up again and were fine. I'd try to upgrade to a 10 gallon at least.

OP
OP
gabeJLFT

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also after some of the biting the smaller one was shaking like he was having a seizure. i thought he was dying but he started swimming again after

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also after some of the biting the smaller one was shaking like he was having a seizure. i thought he was dying but he started swimming again after
That's a sign of submission. The smaller one is trying to submit to the larger more dominate one. How do/did they interact with each other when you put food in the tank?

OP
OP
gabeJLFT

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i put food the larger one usually eats most of it pretty quick and the ones he doesn’t get the smaller one gets that but i always try to but the brine shrimp right in the smaller ones face and he gets those ones

OP
OP
gabeJLFT

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don’t fight when eating if that’s what your asking

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They probably need more space. 5 Gallons is probably too small for the pair in my opinion. I had a pair of frostbites in 5.5 gallons and after a few months they started to turn on each other. Once I put them in my display they met up again and were
fine. I'd try to upgrade to a 10 gallon at least.

Yeah I agree they need more than 5 gallons. Image being locked in a small room with your siblings gs for 8 months arguments would ensue bad mouth g one another lol I would say try getting a bigger tank and the aggression might go away

OP
OP
gabeJLFT

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 15 gallon that they will be going in soon but it’s still cycling

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon is way to small for a clown pair. I'd consider getting them at least a 20 gallon. And the behavior you are seeing is a dominance play. When the little one "shakes" its a sign of submissiveness. And generally the female will beat up the Male to assert her dominance.

OP
OP
gabeJLFT

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon is way to small for a clown pair. I'd consider getting them at least a 20 gallon. And the behavior you are seeing is a dominance play. When the little one "shakes" its a sign of submissiveness. And generally the female will beat up the Male to assert her dominance.

ok thanks so much for the help! i will turn the 5 gallon into a quarantine.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the clownfish equivalent of Klingon mating ritual. Give them more space, and when they settle in, I suspect you'll have eggs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back