Larger Power bar / Power center

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can “plug in” to someone’s experience with these.

I’m looking for a power strip to replace my current power center. What I’m running now has 10 outlets, each with an individual switch, so I can shut off pieces of equipment individually. It’s intended for DJ work and is very convenient, except for taking up a lot of cabinet space and only having the 10 outlets.

What I’d like to find would be a sleeker power strip, with surge protection (wall outlet is GFCI) and upwards of 10 outlets. I currently power my 500W heater directly from the wall plug (power center runs off of the other receptacle) because I’ve read that a larger heater’s energy demands quickly burns out outlets in power strips and power centres. So just getting 2 power strips and running them from the wall plug isn’t an option, unless people have had success over time running 500W and larger straight from a power bar.
39E9848A-04D3-40E0-B701-A6D15F94468D.jpeg

I’m not sure there’s such a thing as what I’m looking for but thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
DJMCB35

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, as I’m not seeing many alternatives myself or in the way of suggestions, are there folks who’ve had longer term success running higher wattage heaters (500W and greater) off of a power bar or power center?

Again, the reason I don’t run mine from my existing power center is that I’ve read that the regular on/off cycling of more powerful heaters burns out the circuits in power bars. I do have my heater controlled by an InkBird unit.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to do with the amps of your heater and whether your power bar can handle it. I found this here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/power-strip-and-multiple-heaters-question.323340/. Read the original post and then reply #2. There could be more info later on but I just started reading it. I'm just starting to get into the inner workings of electricity so am a noob on this subject. I keep seeing a brand "Energy Bar" come up in more than a few different forum posts while looking into this so maybe it's an option. To be honest I didn't even think of this as a possible problem before seeing this thread. I look forward to others chiming in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back